Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aslaug.eu blog comments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start with the Atheist post first since I'm a little behind.

I really, really hate to admit this but I used to be that bad. From the ages of about eleven to fourteen I was a very rabid, hate filled, atheist. For the people who don't know me very well I'm now a Nordic Heathen like Aslaug and have been this way for more than thirteen years now. Shows that even the biggest jerks can change for the better.

Now onto the new post.

All I can say is the overturn of Prop 8 is some of the best news I've heard in too long of a time. A judge had the guts to stand up for what's right and good, something that has been lacking in this country for far to long.

For those who don't know me I stopped visiting most of Planet Furry for flaming the Hotel Echo Lima Lima out of another patron of this site. I will not repeat some of my worst comments, but in a private conversation I used the phrases "Homophobic..." "Jim Crow law loving..." well you get the idea. I think the only reason I wasn't banned by a moderator, not even warned, was that I'm good friends with the main Admin. I kicked myself off when I realized that it should have been done to me.

While my opinions of that person and people like him have never and will never change until their sense justice changes I decided to try to never bring the subject up. As I have said in some places is that if there was one thing I have learned from people who use religious texts to oppose the civil liberties of their fellow man, I have learned "HATE" This sense of hate powered much of my raving.

So the news of the down fall of Prop 8 fills me with hope that people can learn to as it says in "Good Book" (I so hate that phrase because of how many good people have been killed over it) to love their fellow man.

Kaeto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milady: I just read your latest on Holocaust Denial and I have to say that is among the finest things I have ever read. I love how you say to respond to a denier.
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Pickle brine?

Not 'as is' I hope?

Please tell me you dilute it somewhat...

As is, one of the greatest beverages you will ever find in this world Smile

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...

My 'brine' recipy is basically 7% vinegar(2L) and lots of sugar(.5 - 1Kg), with a spoonful of white pepper corns...

I have a relly hard time imagining that it would taste good...

And the one with 2.5dl water, 7.5dl vinegar and 2dl salt... No...
(I haven't actually used that one, yet. Maybe if I get any cucumbers this year... Not looking so good in the greenhouse just now)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject at paw Aslaug's blog on holocaust deniers and people who hate Germans saying that they are Nazis.

First off I'll start with the deniers as it reminds me of a story my wife told me. Joan said that according to the website on how to deal with deniers is simply to tell them that you think they are funny and that you'll listen to them so you can have a good laugh is a great strategy (am I right in the interpretation that it was the website that said that and that you weer agreeing? Or did I get it wrong?) My wife told me about a friend of hers in school that this bit of treating deniers as being funny reminded me of. Near where Patty was going to junior high there was, for a while, a perv who was getting his jollies off by flashing young girls. Now the cops hadn't been able to catch him and several girls were scared to walk that particular way home because of this guy. One of my wife's friends came up with the most brilliant way to get rid of the jerk, especially amazing when you consider that the kid was thirteen. She walked with her friends home and when they were eventually flashed by the guy she merely pointed at him and laughed. Since the perv didn't get the reaction he wanted he disappeared entirely. So this girl essentially did what you should do with holocaust deniers, laugh your ass of at them and anything they have to say.

Now for the jerk who hates all Germans as being Nazis, I'm ashamed to admit this but I was like that for a brief while, I will excuse myself though for a simple reason I was EIGHT or NINE, which gives me a little leeway since most kids are pretty ignorant when their age hasn't even hit double digits yet. Before the Berlin Wall fell my mother had a Ballet teacher who if I remember correctly, since again I had yet to reach double digits in age before, he past away had escaped East Germany. He was a very kind man and if I remember correctly gave my mother a beautiful Christmas ornament of a nineteenth century royal guardsmen that would dance when you pulled a string. I love that ornament and every year it has a special place on my little Yuletide tree. The point being is that you should treat people who view all Germans as Nazis the same way you should have treated me like I was when I felt the same way, like your dealing with a little child, and if they won't shut the Hotel up put them in a corner and let them scream their head off until they either they learn it's not polite to yell or they read a book until they calm down.

And I must say thank you for your wonderful stories about amazingly stupid people. I should mention this little story about my mother so that it can be shown that people will sometimes listen to reason. When I came to start worshiping the old Norse Gods and I told my mother about it she freaked in the most amazing way. She already knew I was pagan so that wasn't what fazed her, it was that she had read so many pieces of propaganda saying that all worshipers of the All Father and his children were Neo-Nazis. I merely had to point out that my current girlfriend was Jewish to make her realize that those statements were truly silly. How could I possibly be a Neo-Nazi and at the same time justify having a loving relationship with a Jewish girlfriend, to the point of being willing to go to Temple with her for events that were important to her? I simply told her that I worship the Old Gods whose original followers often had very good relations with people very different from themselves.

It's the generalizations out there that make people scared of others. I like to joke that all soccer fans are raving hooligans and that because of that soccer should be banned as a sport. I said I joke about it for the simple reason that most of the time when I see anything about a soccer game in the media, there is a mention of fans being seriously injured or even killed. I have never been to a soccer game and since in the US soccer isn't really a big deal people just don't get that into it like they do else where. On the other paw I will often say that if soccer is called the beautiful game then Base Ball should be called the civilized game since in the middle of the game players will talk especially if it's base runner on first talking to the first base men. Also I have yet to hear of a fan getting hurt by other fans, even if it's a Yankees fan cheering for his team while in Boston, it just doesn't happen. However I KNOW for a fact that in the past there have been huge incidents where fans of two opposing teams got into a frenzy because of something that started on the field. Back in the mid 1930's there was game between the minor league teams of my home, Minnesota's Twin Cities, The St. Paul Saints (They are back and the games are an absolute hoot as they are just plain silly) and the Minneapolis Millers, now what started the problems I never found out, the resulting chaos though culminated in a two day riot that spanned across the Mississippi into both cities. I have never heard of soccer fans getting quite that riled up over a dispute that started on the pitch.

So stay away from generalizations. Sorry that got a little stretched out I just like anecdotes, they're fun.

tobi3B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sighn* "Germans are Nazis" I am really tired to hear that words. I had hate mails join us mails and mails I wished I never ever received. Yes I am a German and proud of it BUT IīM NOT A NAZI but a lot of people like your little Kill them all guy think oherwise mostly because they donīt have facts.
In our schooltime we Germans learn a lot about WW2 so that we know what happened in that time and how the whole mess began.
You have to see that Hitler was crazy not sane after all his ultimate goal was that only blond blueeyed people should live everyone else he wanted dead.
And not every Nazi was bad as Crazy as that sound as an example
Oskar Schindler and John Rabe both in their time NSDAP members and Nazis (Nationalsozialisten) both saved lives.
Today people but everthing in one corner donīt think over it.
I mean my last name is Braun, Neo Nazis think itīs sweet and I should join them Anti Nazis think Iīm a relativ from Eva Braun and should burn in hell.
Iīm tired to hear it. I mean really. It happened and it was bad. But some people should get their facts straight. Ohh and Aslaug if your guy get on with his reasons one fact for him The churchs at that time was involved in the killing that would mean if he beliefs in God he should also be punished
I could go on but I lack the words to blow my steam over this

[br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth
Frazikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, let's see, thinking about it filly, your comparison to Hitler may have been in error, Stalin would have been more accurate (and he may have had a higher body count, just better resources to hide it)...

Speaking of history, IIRC the best Hitler's party had was ~65% of the German populace (how many were to keep the midnight visits to a minimum is unknown)...
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Norway, most Germans are welcome...

They do wonders for the tourist industry.
(There's more of them here each summer than during WWII)

It started with German kids being sent to Norway to 'fatten up' after the war. A lot of those kids had good memories of those summers, and when they grew up, they decided to relive those summers, but with their families.
Probably a few ex-soldiers took the trip, too, because they liked the nature.
(Much better to visit after the war when they could walk in the mountains without the resistance taking pot-shots at them)

The rest... We don't need to import that kind of garbage, unfortunately.
(One of the groups of b@stards were even callous enough to call their group 'Company Linge'. Frankly, I'm surprised that the FSK or other military unit didn't 'pay them a visit'. )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kaeto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milady: The second amendment wasn't just so they could raise militia against outside invaders. It was also meant as the last resort against a government gone rogue.

There is an old saying that applies to that very thing:

"When the government begins to ignore the needs of it's people there are three boxes that are the peoples response, The Soap Box , The Ballot Box. And The Ammo Box. Use when needed and in order."

EXan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your newest post.

Even though even in the Netherlands there still a tiny bit of animosity towards Germans, it's not like the garbage this guy is spewing.

Nazi Germany had a lot of gray areas in my opinion. For kids if you wanted to go to good schools you had to be in the Hitlerjugend etc.
If you wanted to have a successful business you had to be member of the Nazi-party.
An old classmate of mine told me a nice story. His grandfather had a picture of himself in an SS-uniform and was proud to show it. Why? Because in that uniform he was able to hide an entire Jewish family in his own house and help much more escape and evade capture.
It's easy to judge an entire group. But each individual has a story and that is something extremely difficult to distinguish especially in troubled times.

As for the bible..... I've picked it up a couple of years back. Read it. And I haven't touched it since. It's an ancient story book written with ancient standards and morals. And that's all the words I wish to spend on it.

Punishing kids for something they have had no control over is just fundamentally wrong...

Some people cling to their hate. I guess it's human nature..
Personally I try to look for both sides of the coin.. But it is hard sometimes.
It's probably easier to just give in....

I'll look for the movie you recommended.

Benleopard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha, good point there Aslaug. I would love to see the Republicans try and remove the 14th Amendment and a big 'IF' they do so, I hope that all of us descendants of Native Americans will tell everyone to get the hell out of our country and then apply for citizenship to the USA regardless if you are born here or not. In my opinion if they do that, we descendants of the real citizens of the USA had our land stolen away from us so it would be only fair to send everyone back to where they came from...

'Columbus go home'.

But, I know that will never happen and it will be most likely if their are changes to the US constitution without the consent of the people, I will be moving out.

EXan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second rant. Razz

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns just help a lot."

Changing a constitution is "a double edged sword" you can't make it to easy for obvious reasons. But if it's near impossible to do it no progress can be made.
No system is perfect I guess.

As for prop 8.. the majority isn't always right!

The name Perry v. Schwarzenegger has a bit of a funny story to it. Neither Schwarzenegger or any other official of the state of California came to it's defense.
Which puts a smile on my face.

A beautiful sentiment as a closing statement Lady Aslaug.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaeto wrote:
Milady: The second amendment wasn't just so they could raise militia against outside invaders. It was also meant as the last resort against a government gone rogue.

"When the government begins to ignore the needs of it's people there are three boxes that are the peoples response, The Soap Box , The Ballot Box. And The Ammo Box. Use when needed and in order."

True. That was part of the reason. However insane that notion may be in the 21st century.

And people like Sharon Angle, talking about "second amendment remedies" are doing just that.

I paraphrase: "OH my, we've lost a democratic election. It's got to be fraud, because there's no way we can lose. Let's go out and set this travesty to right with our guns!"

Do you really think that everyone would march together on the Capitol and the White House, united as one people against a few hundred lawmakers who have absolutely no one agreeing with their decisions?

It's a recipe for civil war. Saying to people "If government is tyrannical, you can shoot them" is the single most MINDNUMBINGLY stupid idea I've ever heard. Not only does it have nothing whatsoever to do with democracy or with a republic, but it leaves the judgment of what "tyrannical" means in the ultimately PATENTLY subjective hands of people armed to the teeth with automatic rifles and light machine guns.

If you ask Sarah Palin, the current government is tyrannical. It HAS gone rogue.

By that line of reasoning, although Ms. Palin has not actually called for this ... yet ... you should pick up your weapons and go do what the second amendment allows you to do.

If you ask Nancy Pelosi, you think you'd get the same answer?

No, exactly.

When leaving the topic of "when is a government tyrannical enough that we are allowed to use violence" in the hands of the electorate is so blindingly foolish it beggars the imagination.

Please, look around the world with an unbiased eye, and take a look at the well-functioning democracies that exist in the western world, and then take a good, hard look at how many of THOSE countries have such legislation in place?

It is fluffy empowerment of an electorate which, in the case of the United States of America has completely forgotten that there is such a thing as "compromise" or "accepting that okay, we're not in power right now but we'll get back into power in time".

It's all or nothing, black or white, with-us-or-against-us, every time, all the time, constantly. And it's bloody dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice words there filly...

The Pastor's words prove that 'divide and conquer' works and is still used (like Prop Cool...

As for amending the Constitution, there are two way to propose and two ways to ratify [we're familar with Congress proposing (2/3s each) and the State (Legislatures) ratifing (3/4)] but the populace can join the fun by Conventions (2/3s of the states to propose and 3/4s to ratifing, separately of course)...but Congress must point which way ratification follows (Legislature or Convertion)...

Finally, there's Franklin's quote - 'They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.'
Kaeto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
Kaeto wrote:

True. That was part of the reason. However insane that notion may be in the 21st century.

And people like Sharon Angle, talking about "second amendment remedies" are doing just that.

I paraphrase: "OH my, we've lost a democratic election. It's got to be fraud, because there's no way we can lose. Let's go out and set this travesty to right with our guns!"

Do you really think that everyone would march together on the Capitol and the White House, united as one people against a few hundred lawmakers who have absolutely no one agreeing with their decisions?

It's a recipe for civil war. Saying to people "If government is tyrannical, you can shoot them" is the single most MINDNUMBINGLY stupid idea I've ever heard. Not only does it have nothing whatsoever to do with democracy or with a republic, but it leaves the judgment of what "tyrannical" means in the ultimately PATENTLY subjective hands of people armed to the teeth with automatic rifles and light machine guns.

If you ask Sarah Palin, the current government is tyrannical. It HAS gone rogue.

By that line of reasoning, although Ms. Palin has not actually called for this ... yet ... you should pick up your weapons and go do what the second amendment allows you to do.

If you ask Nancy Pelosi, you think you'd get the same answer?

No, exactly.

When leaving the topic of "when is a government tyrannical enough that we are allowed to use violence" in the hands of the electorate is so blindingly foolish it beggars the imagination.

Please, look around the world with an unbiased eye, and take a look at the well-functioning democracies that exist in the western world, and then take a good, hard look at how many of THOSE countries have such legislation in place?

It is fluffy empowerment of an electorate which, in the case of the United States of America has completely forgotten that there is such a thing as "compromise" or "accepting that okay, we're not in power right now but we'll get back into power in time".

It's all or nothing, black or white, with-us-or-against-us, every time, all the time, constantly. And it's bloody dangerous.

So basically what you are saying is that when the politicians begin ignoring the elections and set themselves as rulers for life the only recourse the citizenry has is to bow their necks and submit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 24 of 46

Jump to: