Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

space question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GriffinX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: space question. Reply with quote

ok I'm stuck and i admit it so here i am asking the question.

could a gravitational cataclysmic event be felt form a different galaxy?

say like a super nova or maybe a collapse of a star.

http://www.freewebs.com/griffinxango/
Asalis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean like a shock-wave from a resultant explosive collapse?

Heres a tip for ya. When it involves space all current day science can really do is theorize about a lot of it since we have no way of actually scanning or detecting it. nor the means to go ther and do a direct research. We do have telescopes but visiual data is most often not enough to go by.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
christopherlynxfelter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd hazard a guess at yes,just because we can't scientificaly prove it happened dosen't mean it can't happen.
Asalis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: space question. Reply with quote

GriffinX wrote:
ok I'm stuck and i admit it so here i am asking the question.

could a gravitational cataclysmic event be felt form a different galaxy?

say like a super nova or maybe a collapse of a star.
you mean like at the beginning of Star trek 6 where the Klingon world Praxis blew up and the resulting shock-wave spread far into the neutral zone, reaching the Excelsior of which was patrolling the border?

Or like when in star trek generations, the antagonist (I forgot his name) was collapsing stars so he could alter the path of this ribbon which seemed to be this kind of doorway to this alternate dimension which apparently granted ones greatest desires?

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
GriffinX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think more along the line of the second one i need to know, theoreticly if the gravitational forces exerted from a cataclysmic event such as a star collapse or explosion could be felt in other galaxies other than the one it originated in.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is theoretically possible but currently not feasible. However...

Doesn't gravity propagate at lightspeed? If so, the waves would arrive at the same time as the much-more-easily detected electromaagnetic signature. So, except for purposes of scientific study, such a technology would be pretty redundant.
GriffinX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw see if it were for study or the tech of it yes it would be redundant

but my question has to do with a story line i'm writing

in it my main character has the ability to stop time and right now he is stuck in it because he is in between galaxies at the moment, the time ability is based on Newtons law stating that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. basically, imagine that a galaxy is a bolder slowly rolling down a slight hill and he is able to stop it, now the size and the momentum of the bolder are a limit to how long he can hold it in place before he has to let it go. well right now he has a pebble to push against and the pebble doesnt have enough mass to start again.

so thats what I'm trying to see, if an outside gravitational force like a nova or star collapse at the edge of the galaxy could be felt outside of it, allowing him the sense to start time again.

Teric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asalis wrote:
Or like when in star trek generations, the antagonist (I forgot his name)

Doctor Sune

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with all other types of energy the effects of gravity diminish fairly quickly as the distance grows simply due to the fact that it's acting as a wave it loses intensity as it spreads out because the same amount of energy is spread out over a larger area. Even if a star was to collapse into a black hole it probably wouldn't be noticeably felt outside it's own galaxy, and almost definetly not in the immense distance between two galaxies.

Now if you want to be really screwy you could play around with a notion of a white hole. If you're not familiar with the term let me explain. It is theorized by some, I'm not sure how popular the theory is anymore, that for every black hole there is it's exact opposite a white hole which spews matter energy out into the universe. The idea is that black holes are the intake hose for a pump and the white hole is what you get on the other end. There has yet to be any sign of one, but since we have only very recently found black holes with in the last ten-fifteen years it may just be a matter of time.

My point is this you could have a star collapse into a black hole which then forms a white hole relatively near the location of your character. Too close and the sudden impact of energy would rip him apart too far and he wouldn't notice. But you have to keep in mind physics still applies it will take a while for the energy to hit him at near the speed of light.

Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give him a way to accelerate the pebble to near lightspeed in normal space, creating the necessary increased mass via relativity.
kcmack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately gravity is one of those really mysterious areas of science. We know it exists but we have only been able to theorize on much of it. The speed at which gravity travels is currently under much disagreement.

My best understanding of it is that one school thinks it is faster than the speed of light. The other feels that it falls in to the category that it is with in the same speed area of light.

Griffinx, a star collapsing is a HUGE event, it is not far outside the realm of possibility that something in the collapse of a star would disrupt his ability to suspend time. If I were you I would just say it was able to disrupt his time field but we the readers do not need to know WHY it was disrupted.

GriffinX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx guys i think this helped a loti almost have a workable ideajust a few minner detales and i think i have it thanxs again.

keep posting if you have an idea that might help.

christopherlynxfelter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the protaginist his name was "dr. tolian soran"
trekies rule losers drule forgot where i heard that quote just
had to use it once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: