Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notes from The Range, 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teric

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, SC.

Post when you can, and only if you can. Real life takes priority. But we do worry about you guys.

Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, while we haven't met, I have read and enjoyed your writing. We have friends in common, including TM, Aramis, Aslaug and Kellan. Take care of your family, they come first. When you can, return to us, and we will welcome you back. Whether you ever write again or not. Pray

Nicolai

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nicolai.

My Fox and I have no intention of leaving the community, our friends, our family. We'll be a bit harder to find, certainly, and my contribution to the collections of stories will decrease in the short term, but we'll be around. The forums here at PF will continue to be my main point of contact with many of you, as I'm generally not on any instant messenger these days, at least not reliably.

Make no mistake: the coyote is busy, not gone. Things will turn for the better, I'm sure.

Thank you all for your love and support.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California is burning, and Our prayers from here at the Tiger's den is that all y'all out there at the Coyote's Den stay safe. Be in touch soon.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You okay out there, SC? Haven't seen you on the boards for a while. Hoping everything is well for you and yours.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pluggin' along, Teric, thanks for wondering. Per my blog, I posted a couple of things to my Stories section, but nothing of import to the fans of ALN. I'm still trying to get myself going on that. Kind of a pain, every time I sit down to get started my pups run up with a hundred things for me to do...

I'm on TDY at work, a new job with a new boss. It's kept me more busy than usual, and promises to continue to do so. Still, I try to make some time to surf PF in the evenings and see what's going on.

Good to hear from you, my friend.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, as you say. many times it just doesn't make sense. I certainly can't make sense of why Alzhiemer's strikes folks down, at a time when their wisdom is most needed and valuable. It did so with my mother. All I can offer is my prayer, along with yours. Trust in the answer is indeed the hard part.

All I can say in the meantime is, we all love y'all. Peace has indeed seen a return here, as we took the time to celebrate Brianna's 14th birthday with a backyard party and cookout today (the 1st). Last weekends events have been seen in the brighter light of distance, and cooler heads prevail. Thank you for the prayers and support. You say you wonder if God is listening to you right now? Yes, of course He is, but sometimes His answers are hard to fathom, or accept. I struggle along those lines a lot, and I don't have the answer. Sometimes it's the struggle that counts. The journey more than the destination.

I'm tired. Time to rant off.

Talk to you soon, mi hermano.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also sending prayers for you and your family, SC.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I related to Teric a little while ago, your prayers and my therapy seem to have worked significant improvements in my disposition.

I'm still asking a lot of questions, but I'm being more respectful at the moment. It has certainly helped us to know that we have friends who know where we've been, and where we're going, and who are willing to share their stories with us.

I don't know what it is about us, that things automatically look better once you find out that someone else went down that road before you did, or is making the trip down that road with you.

So thank you, every one of you, for listening to me yowl and howl and growl, and for not just throwing a shoe at me at telling me to shut it. Our task list is great, but we are greatly comforted and encouraged by our wonderful friends.

SC

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pats the Coyote onna head* *offers big meaty bone and a good tummyscritch*

Hang in there. We're all right behind you. Every step of the way. No shoe-tossing, either. In my case that'd be tantamount to using a lethal weapon anyway *points to iron shoes*, and we all need to growl and rage once in a while. As I wrote to you, you're allowed to. It's natural to be angry, and we shouldn't deny ourselves the right to be.

*hugs*

Just keep fighting the good fight, y'hear?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic or the Kingair on your blog. Looks like its waiting in Bluegrass Aviation's hangar for Allastor McRory to supervise painting it in Kentiger livery.

TM

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah! Congrats on a successful conclusion to the great Shakeout and Golden Guardian 08! The nat'l press has even been carrying a blurb on the event. Sounds like quite an exercise, for sure.

Looking forward to hearing more from the verbose coyote.

TM

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tigermark.

It was a big operation. My involvement at the local level prevented me from fully appreciating the scope of the exercise, I'm still getting media information about how much was involved and how long it went on.

Our little corner of it was very low scale by comparison to what the state and local governments are doing. They are in the middle of a three day plus exercise, and meetings and discussions will go on for months after to digest information, lessons, and failures. I think the magnitude and enormity of the expected calamity caught a lot of folks flat-footed, but we have now got them thinking about how to supply twenty million survivors without benefit of easy or reliable access to the region.

Of course, sitting in the middle of all that prognostication, I couldn't help but wonder how Joe Latrans and his ilk might be caught up in the middle of the biggest airlift since West Berlin. Bluntly, after an earthquake of the size described, there will be three avenues of access to the southern California coastal basin:
1) by land - a single rail line (the old Southern Pacific coast route from San Francisco via Santa Barbara)
2) by sea - through the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, once they clean up the mess of toppled stacks of seagoing containers and collapsed bridges.
3) by air - once an airport large enough to handle large cargo aircraft has secured itself and confirmed the integrity of it's runways.

An interesting fact that most folks are just now beginning to appreciate: there are only two airfields that could be considered even remotely secure in the Los Angeles basin. They are what used to be March Air Force Base, and what used to be the Los Alamitos Naval Air Station. Both are now in the paws of the Armed Forces Reserve, but these installations could, with the proper application of military minds and bodies, be made secure in short order. NAS Los Alamitos even has a tank trap at the perimeter fence! Two runways ... one in Riverside County, one in Orange County ...

The media and most agencies have largely ignored one fact, many through ignorance, some by choice. Society will, quite bluntly, disintegrate following the "big one." Stores will empty of their contents within 48 hours, and may not be resupplied for weeks, or months, if ever. The folks who survive will be the folks who are prepared to feed, shelter, and doctor themselves for those weeks, and who are also prepared to defend their homes and possessions against those who weren't so smart as they in their advance planning. Law enforcement, under the best of conditions spread thin over the LA basin, will be hopelessly outgunned, and in the first few days it will be difficult to move military forces into the heart of the region. We will be on our own for the period of time it takes local agencies to clear an airfield or a single roadway.

By the predictions of engineers and seismologists, most freeways and major highways will be unusable due to collapsed bridges, landslides, and the crush of vehicles trying to use what's left of them. In the first couple of days most of us will be without utility power, gas, or water. Huge fires will sweep the urban areas as firefighters stand by dry hydrants. Pipelines large and small, carrying everything from drinking water to jet fuel, will rupture across the region, spilling their contents over whatever happens to be nearby. It gives me cause to stop and consider the 24 inch high pressure gasoline pipeline that Standard Oil runs in a north-south direction less than a mile from where I live.

Still, it's not all bad. Our leadership ponders and puzzles while the folks like me, who get their paws dirty actually doing things, figure out how to prevent what they can, mitigate what they are able to, and deal with what they can't control. We, those dirty-pawed individuals, are nothing if not survivors, and when the dust does settle and the fires do finally go out after that fateful day, which most seismologists swear will happen in my lifetime, we will be around to tell the story.

<grins> Maybe I'll write a book about it.

SC

Teric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, SC--those are some nice pics of the fires--spooky too, to see how high the flames rose on the horizon.

Hope you guys aren't getting too affected by smoky air--we've got a bit of fog this morning (and a bit of blessed humidity with it).

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens I was called in today for more post-fire recovery, again in the fire zone in north Yorba Linda. Every new neighborhood has it's charred lots where a home used to be, and this was no exception near our Olinda structure. It can be depressing if you let it get to you. I'm sure the folks facing the losses are devastated, and know that there is little any of us can do to take that pain from them.

And the stink of fire and death is everywhere. After several hours of it, out in the sun in a canyon, it became somewhat troublesome. I came home with a cranking headache that took me all evening (and another Ducks loss in overtime) to get rid of.

That thick fog early Thursday morning was strange. Driving through it on my way into downtown LA I found it necessary to use the wipers a time or two, until I realized I was just pushing soggy ash back and forth across the windshield. I gave up after a mile or two of that silliness with the wiper blades.

Thank God the humidity is up. Pray our drought continues for a while, though. As you no doubt know, Teric, with the rains comes the mud, and as many square miles of newly naked mountains as we have around here, rain is not our friend now. Fog is good. Maybe a light drizzle now and then ... OK. But rain? <shudders> That is not something I'm looking forward to.

And as I'm typing this at 2110, my pager is going off. Another possible callout, more than likely the same station.

<looks around>

Where'd I put my boots ...?

SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: