Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rachel Marie Wilson Smith

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Rachel Marie Wilson Smith Reply with quote

I'm going to do something really unusual.

I'm going to ask you all to pray. If you believe in anything, I'm going to ask you to pray for a little girl...who badly needs a prayer or two.

As I'm sure most of you know by now, I have three proofreaders. Tigermark, Silver Coyote and Valaina.

Valaina is the same 'Erica Smith' I've mentioned in a few chapters, in Italics. The English lady who had all those terrible problems with social services.

Now, Erica's daughter Rachel is in the hospital.

Rachel has cerebral palsy, she's profoundly deaf...and as of this morning, she's been diagnosed with epilepsy as well. Until now, no one had made that diagnosis. No one had even bothered telling Erica that children with cerebral palsy are prone to fits anyway...but this morning, little Rachel woke up Erica by having a massive...massive fit. She had bitten her tongue, and she was bleeding. It was so bad...so serious...that Erica couldn't make it stop. So of course, she called the hospital to get an ambulance.

By the time the doctors managed to get Rachel to stop convulsing, it had been at least an hour, possibly more, since her fit had started.

I've just come off the phone with Erica, who was crying...and telling me "I can't shake the feeling that she's not long for this world. That she's one of those special children who come into the world, touch some lives and change opinions...and then when their job is done..."

She couldn't finish the sentence. Nor could I for that matter. By that time, I was crying as well.

What has this innocent child done to deserve so much pain and so much anguish? This is not right. It is not fair. And sadly, it is how the world occasionally works.

Yesterday night, I was also talking to Erica on the phone. I heard Rachel laughing and giggling, and Erica had her on her lap while talking to me. Rachel has very strong hearing aids to allow her to at least sense sounds, and she was evidently very intrigued by this strange voice coming out of the speakers.

Rachel is a wonderful, fantastic, special little girl. In her mother's words, she's a living miracle. When she was born, the doctors told her parents not to expect her to live 24 hours.

She's nearly four years old now.

She's touched lives. Mine as well and I swear to you all, just writing this I'm crying my eyes out at the injustice of what she has to suffer.

If I could take it all onto myself, I would. I wouldn't even think twice about it. She's done nothing to deserve this. Nothing...whatsoever.

I will pray that she will come through this. And that she will grow to adulthood, and be happy and smiling and have a good life. She deserves it as much as any other child.

Rachel is strong. She lasted the first 24 hours. She's lasted nearly four years since those first 24 hours in fact. I ask all of you who read this...if you are religious people of any faith or denomination, to please...please say a prayer for Rachel.

If you are not...then at least send a kind thought her way. Valaina...Erica...is my best friend. The pain she's had to go through already is more than any human being should have to bear, and she's born it with her head held high and with courage and dignity. People tell me I'm 'brave' for what I've done...but Erica -shames- me in comparison.

We all have a limit though...and I am sure she would greatly appreciate it if you'd send a kind word to her daughter...who so very badly needs all the help and support she can get...

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my prayers and well wishings are with them, and if there was anything more I could do, I would.

It's always hard when a child is hurting, you want to go to heroic lengths to make what's wrong go away, whatever it is.

It's never easy, feeling as if there's nothing you can do to make things better.

Spending as much time with the one who's hurting as is possible lessens their hurt, and eases things if nothing can trully be done to aleviate the hurting.

Last year I lost my oldest cousin to brain cancer.. she was 42. She left behind a husband and two young children. For the viewing, the families had easels set up with pictures of my cousin's life, showing her in happier times .. one of the last being attending my wedding as a bridesmaid. Even remembering how she slowly faded away is painful, and it's been over half a year .. though my family shows their sense of humor too, since my cousin apparently waited until just before happy hour on the day she finally passed to go to that better place.

u.u;

Again, Aslaug, my prayers and best wishes go to you and your friends, and may the little on keep surprising everyone.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prayers are with her and her mother. I too hate to see innocent children suffer. There is quite a bit of injustice in the world; there are many people who are wronged, hurt, or even killed. But it pains me most when I see a child on the receiving end.

May God give strength and courage to Rachel, to Erica, and to you as well, Aslaug.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prayers prayed with conviction, and continuing...

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Bible, it says that the prayers of a righteous man availeth much.

I don't lay claim to being all that righteous, but I've been praying my heart out while reading this. Thank you for asking us to share the burden, just a little bit.

Erica, we love you, and Rachel too. Our prayers go up for you both.

Tigermark and family.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Valaina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for your thoughts and prayers. Much needed and appreciated.

Rachel spent a quiet, restful night in hospital, has been prescribed medication to stabilise her, and is currently resting in a travel cot right next to me. I've never known her be so calm and relaxed in hospital before, so all the positive thoughts and prayers everyone sent clearly helped. She's doing fine, and we're booked in for further tests to get to the bottom of the problem.

Once again, thankyou. Joan told me of this thread, and read the responses to me over the phone, and they really and truly helped me, too.

*bows*

Teric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*VERY* glad to hear it, Valaina! Give the little one a hug and a kiss from us.
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping up the good thoughts for your daughter, Valaina.

Keep us in the loop, please?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Valaina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do, most definately. She's fast asleep right now, and has had a good quiet afternoon/evening at home. I cannot thank you all enough for your thoughts and prayers. It means the world to me. I'll keep you all updated with results of tests etc on this thread, as and when we get appointments done with. Once again, thankyou.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent. prayers continue for continued success.

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the latest on Rachel? How is she doing?

SC

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, she's doing much, much better and it really looks like the medicine the doctors put her on will help her.

The big issue here, for me, is that no one found out that she was epileptic before now. It angers me that whenever Erica or Arty tried to tell a doctor about the fits, they'd be ignored because Rachel was on the child-protection register. It makes me bloody wonder WHO Rachel needed protection from. If doctors can't help a seriously handicapped little girl, then why in Hel's name are they there??

Thank goodness that Erica has moved to a different place where the doctors are capable and competent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a blessing, being somewhere where you can find a doctor you can trust and believe in.

However her improvements were effected, I'm very glad they are real. Thank you for the feedback. Best wishes for Rachel and her folks.

SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: