Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The B Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcmack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: The B Team Reply with quote

Wow, I almost feel sorry for Dax. I guess you do not mess with Annie's sister, I am suprised she didn't pull out a can of mace and use it on the poor guy. Does Dax really think that Annie is dying? I thought that was just something that he had made up to get the jet from dear old dad. Joes mother is such an evil woman. But I have a feeling that she is about to get taken to the cleaners by her lawyer/lover. Man that guy brings a whole new low to the profession. You know the devil has a nice corner for him picked out and the pineapples are ready for insertion MWahahaha.

Man you really have to feel for Joe right now too. Come on be nice to the poor guy and just let him get off a phone call. I mean I have heard of kicking a guy while he is down but this is just Twisted Evil .

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for starting the thread, KC!

Dax believes that Annie is dying. About two-thirds of the way into chapter 23 (Numbers Game), Dax receives a telephone call from some unidentified fur (perhaps a henchfur of Maria's lawyer?), after which he immediately begins to make plans to get to Denver. By inference we assume that this call is the method by which he is convinced that Annie is dying.

Of course, as Maria well knows, the sudden re-appearance of Dax in Annie's life can't help but be somewhat destabilizing. On top of the other things she and Harrison Clement the Third are engineering, Maria hopes the return of Dax will be one more nail in the coffin lid of Annie and Joe's marriage. Maria's bent on destroying Annie, only to fuel the destruction of her own son.

Dax has issues and a history of his own, which is why he has to plead and whine to get use of the jet from dear old dad.

Yeah, Maria is a piece of work alright. And like most of her ilk, she may be visited by fate in a manner befitting one of her caliber, and that may or may not come at the paws of her less-than-stellar laywer.

Joe will continue to do what Joe does best. Pilots do that...

Stay tuned, and keep your seat belt latched and your seat in the upright position!

SC

kcmack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, now I really do feel bad for Dax. That might just be one of the few stand up things the poor guy has ever tried to do. OH I so can't wait for Maria to get her own.
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This title didn't look familiar to me, but the first few chapters did (not just selected scenes), but now I know (still less than half way through) that I'm beyond anything I may have already read in the past. Glad I didn't just start reading at the latest chapter.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Amiga. Welcome to the crew.

I hope you enjoy the story. Feel free to comment!

SC

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Harrison is asking for direct access to funds, I'm wondering if he's planning on running off with Maria's money before long.
Joe really needs to make time for a call before his next takeoff, or if he can't, find some way of getting a message relayed to her.

I know I've seen some of these scenes from another perspective in other stories (at least Fire on High), but now I think I hadn't started reading this one before. But even though the title doesn't look familiar, most of the first few chapters still do. Did you have another story including a good portion of its beginning? Did you change the title and rewrite?

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amiga -

No... The B Team has always been The B Team. It is not a re-write of a previous creation, nor (to my knowledge) have these chapters appeared anywhere else except (shameless plug!) at my own website.

However (caveat alert!)... Joe and Annie do appear in other stories I've written, as well as other stories created by Aramis Dagaz, Aslaug, and Tigermark. Perhaps you are thinking of one of those stories?

You are correct, The Bitch and her crew have appeared elsewhere, again courtesy of the same authors. They have appeared regularly in Fire On High, and also appear in Transitions (but I confess I can't remember in which chapter).

As for Harrison Clement the Third... one might suppose that I have a dim view of American lawyers in the aggregate. I honestly can't say how that perception might arise... correct though it may be. <grins> Sure, that's a sweeping generalization on my part, and I'll be the first to admit that there are some fine lawyers in this country.

I just haven't met any of them yet.

Thank you for your questions and comments. Feel free to continue with both.

SC

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention Transitions, but I realize that appearance is only mentioned in The B Team, not replayed in it like the gear door scene doubled in FOH.
Maybe it is the Transitions appearance of Intermountain that made me think I already read the first chapters of this one.

Now I have to wait for chapters again. #Puppy dog

Teric

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the first four chapters in a single sitting. Gads, that was exciting, seeing them trying to fly a beat-up plane like that. The last time I saw a plane do something like that was when I was watching 'Memphis Belle,' where a B-52 was trying to limp its way back home after its 25th combat mission. Thanks for bringing that back to me, SC.

If the plane is so old, why do they stick with it? I guess with the proper repairs and maintenance, she's still air-worthy, but it just seems so risky. But, then again, I've never been a pilot, and I've never developed that sense of trust that airfurs have with their planes. Plus, I guess it wouldn't be the same story if they didn't have the quirky C-130 always giving them trouble. Smile

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, Teric. And good to hear from you again, btw.

Teric said
Quote:
If the plane is so old, why do they stick with it?

I suspect in Joe's case it's a combination of things that are probably not limited to money, pride, employment, and perhaps a little bit of that machismo that many like to associate with pilots.

Joe and Steve grew up, so to speak, with the C-130. They have lots of hours in the beast and understand it's systems, it's capabilities, and it's limitations. As such they are a valuable commodity to anyone who is brazen enough (or foolish enough) to try and run an air cargo operation with one or more of the machines. Therefore I suspect that Joe and Steve and their fellow crewfurs (whom you'll get to know as you keep reading) are fairly well compensated by Matt for their efforts at delivering the goods, as well as the machinery that transports them, intact and on time.

The C-130 is an amazing machine. A good pilot can put one into an airstrip that would cause most single-engine pilots to stop and consider their options first. And it can get into and out of those figurative sand-lots with thousands of pounds of cargo on board, or dozens of furs. The pilots that can make this happen feel very good indeed about their abilities and the abilities of their aircraft, they are quite proud of what they do and who they do it for.

Why does Matt keep such an ungainly beast? Trust. He knows the Herks at least as well as any of the pilots flying for him, and probably has as many hours in his logbooks flying them as any two of his pilots put together. Sure The Bitch is a bitch to keep maintained, but then Matt's got pals in low places that can help him with that. He's also got crews that aren't afraid of fixing something while still airborne, or simply doing without 'til they get back on the ground.

The fact of the matter is that the Herk is a semi truck with wings that can transport over thirty thousand pounds of whatever you're willing to stuff into that cargo bay over long distances at a relatively high rate of speed for comparatively few bucks, compared to many of the fan-jet powered transports Matt and his crews compete against. And a Herk will put that cargo into the regional airport five minutes away from the customer's base of operations, instead of the international airport that's on the other side of the county.

There's a limited but well-defined market of furs who have big loads they want moved quickly without a lot of fuss and bother. Matt knows how to cater to these types, asking few questions and maintaining an approachable persona in exchange for large infusions of cash or other barterable materials. Matt's number one marketing strategy is a willingness to fly almost anything, anywhere, at any time, with virtually no questions asked. Joe and his crewfurs are part of that mentality, that mindset.

And then there's the macho factor. Virtually any pilot will refuse to his last breath to let any aircraft, no matter how complex or basic, get the best of him or her. This attitude is most prevalent and obvious in fighter pilots (this is a good spot for Tigermark to chime in), but it exists in virtually all pilots. Somewhere in a dark corner of Joe's mind, where Annie has never been and which he refuses to acknowledge, Joe's a little bit drawn to the danger and excitement of flying a bellowing boxcar around the continent. The more things The Bitch can throw at him by way of failing systems, the more he just digs in, hackles up, fangs bared, and refuses to give in. It's a dangerous attitude but, if properly controlled, a very profitable and enjoyable one as well.

And perhaps too there is a bit of camaraderie amongst the furs who gamble their lives on the strength of The Bitch's wings and the power of her turbines. As you continue to explore life with The B Team you'll learn more about that, too.

I realize that this is one of my typically cryptic, short, and uninformative answers... <winks> If you have any questions, ask away! And thanks for dropping by The Range.

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed there, SC, fighter pilots have that ...attitude. That there's nothing in the air they can't handle, nothing that flies that they can't master. Even Alex in Fire On High, as calm and ego-under-control as he is, has this, to a point. Remember the fit he's had because he wasn't able to master helicopters right off the bat? That's part of that attitude. That feeling that anything that happens, good or bad, is a personal challenge to be mastered. Some might knock it, but it's what keeps a fur alive in aerial combat, or in a corporate jet dodging thunderheads and coming in at almost under IMC minimums, or fighting system failures in an old B of a Herc.

God bless 'em all. They help keep aircraft in the air, even when things go south in very rapid fashion, and in todays techno-driven world, remind us that there are times when it still comes down to having the right stuff.

Tigermark (rant off)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe I told ya I'd get onto reading B-Team, SC. Smile I love a good story written by a good fur.

I'm looking forward to meeting your characters and watching them grow.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliment, my friend. Enjoy!

SC

Teric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read chapter 6. Ha! That was really neat to see that scene from the B-Team's point of view. If I hadn't read 'Fire on High', I would've been mystified by this scene, totally wondering "Who was that masked man?"

It's nice to see Alex make an appearance in your story, SC. Will we see him again down the road? Mr. O'Whitt seems to be a popular character among several authors already. Smile

I may have to go back and re-read, but I thought Rick is a skunk...? But in chapter 6, it says he's a badger (or maybe I just got the wrong impression).

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have uncovered evidence of a lubricated plot line, sir Teric. Now I am forced to remind myself which is which (Rick Carter is a badger, after all) and go check to see what I messed up.

<rolls eyes at ceiling>

I gotta quit writing these chapters in the middle of the night, and I think I ought to drink wine with The Fox after I write, instead of before...

SC

p.s. Upon reflection, I don't feel so bad. That one got by Mike and Tigermark as well...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Silver Coyote's Range All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: