Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon and Dungeon Die

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucius_Vane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Dragon and Dungeon Die Reply with quote

Eric Mona wrote:
Dear friends,
Today, Wizards of the Coast and Paizo Publishing announced the conclusion of Paizo's license to publish Dragon and Dungeon magazines. The magazines will cease publication following the release of the September issues, which ship to subscribers and newsstands in August. The final issues will be Dragon #359 and Dungeon #150.

Wizards of the Coast will be moving the kind of content currently found in Dragon and Dungeon to an online model. Both companies remain on good terms and continue to discuss future opportunities for publishing partnerships.

Today also marks the official announcement of Pathfinder, a new monthly 96-page, perfect-bound, OGL-compatible full-color softcover Adventure Path book printed on high-quality paper for use with the world's most popular roleplaying game. Over the last several months, the same editors who bring you Dragon and Dungeon have been developing the next evolution in RPG campaigns, and we hope you'll take some time to look at what we have to offer. Pathfinder will debut in August at hobby retail stores, bookstores, and here on paizo.com, and—though it's a book, not a magazine—we'll be offering a subscription service for gamers eager to add a vorpal edge to their campaigns. In fact, you can subscribe to Pathfinder right now and receive a free bonus Player's Guide to the first Pathfinder Adventure Path: Rise of the Runelords.

Speaking of subscriptions, the discontinuation of Dragon and Dungeon will leave many of our valued subscribers with excess subscription credit. Paizo has set up a special Transition Page that offers multiple options to these subscribers.

We're sure many of you have questions about this development, so we've developed a special Frequently Asked Questions page that covers many of the issues you'll wonder about. If you don't see your question listed there, drop by the new Magazine Transition forum on our Customer Service messageboards, which we will be monitoring closely.

If you're concerned about the future of Paizo, you can relax. We're very excited about Pathfinder, our GameMastery line of RPG modules and accessories, our Titanic Games line of deluxe board games, and Planet Stories, our recently announced line of classic science fiction and fantasy novels. No Paizo staffers have lost their jobs as a result of this development—in fact, we're so enthusiastic about our future that we've recently hired several new employees. However, if you're wondering what you can do to help Paizo succeed in our new ventures, please visit our What Can I Do to Help? page.

Dragon and Dungeon have been the backbone of Paizo Publishing for five years since we spun off from Wizards of the Coast's periodicals department in 2002, and both magazines have been an integral part of the RPG publishing world for decades. Bringing the magazines to you every month has been a true honor, and we in the Paizo family look forward to the continuing honor of serving your gaming needs for years and years to come.

Sincerely,

Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC
April 19, 2007

Wizards has killed them. I don't know about anyone else, but this is like a punch in the gut to me.

For anyone who cares, I'm calling for a boycott on Wizards of the Coast. We probably can't do much, but it might get them to at least think about what they're doing.

It's a dark day, my friends.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like they're just switching to an online format rather then hard copy.

Lucius_Vane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've seen what WoC has put out lately (on line or in hard-copy), you know that that's as good as putting a knife in it's heart. Wizards had no hand in these mag's except what official stuff could be put into them. Paizo has been a rock of good material.

Solis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, WotC has been killing their cash cow for some time now. I'm surprised they're ending the magazines though, I'd think those were still profitable.
Lucius_Vane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.petitiononline.com/sdadm582/petition.html

If you wouldn't mind, anyone who would be willing to sign my petition would be greatly appritiated.

Thanks.

Solis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucius: I hate to be the one to break it to you, but online petitions don't actually do anything.
Taren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solis wrote:
Lucius: I hate to be the one to break it to you, but online petitions don't actually do anything.

Not true! They are responsible for the release of the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons on DVD. (:
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taren wrote:
Solis wrote:

Not true! They are responsible for the release of the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons on DVD. (:

I wonder if that would work for getting Road Rovers

anyways I signed the petition despite the fact that I haven't bought either Magazine since before WotC even existed, yes it's been that long.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: