Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help with this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cable select is the devil. Use manual master/slave settings.

Also, keep in mind the power capabilities of your PC. Some of the lower end computers only have 230W power supplies and that won't drive a lot of hardware. Sad

If you get stuck, IM me.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mwalimu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First idea... Open Control panel -> System and see how much memory it shows you as having, and make sure it matches what is physically installed. If it's less, then it's not seeing all of your DRAMs, meaning either one isn't installed properly, is going bad, or the MB slot is going bad.

Second idea... What antivirus are you running? If it's Norton or McAfee, get rid of it and install one that's faster and uses less resources. I use Avast, but Avira Antivir is also said to be pretty good. AVG is okay (certainly bettern than Norton) but is more of a resource hog than it used to be.

Third idea... Have you defragged your HD lately? If not, try that. I recommend Auslogics Disk Defrag.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hawke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be your NIC itself...or even a CPU going bad...(I dont know if you meant that you tried a clean installed drive on the same PC)

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Hawke

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me then that it's either a problem with the OS, or maybe another program running in background.

If you haven't already tried, boot up your PC and kill every running process marked with your user name. IF the CPU usage returns to normal you know its a program tying up your resources.

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Teric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange... I can get into PF just fine through FireFox.
mwalimu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem I've encountered with certain applications - I don't know if Firefox has done this but I know several others have - is that an application doesn't properly shut down when you exit. You try closing and restarting the application to clear a problem, but because the application never properly closed, the problem persists. Another variation of this is that when an application appears to have exited, it may take a while to finish shutting down in the background, perhaps a minute or more, and if the user restarts it while this is still going on, you may once again have the situation where the user thinks he wiped the slate clean but actually hasn't.

The easiest way I know of to detect this is to watch the task in Task Manager. If it's the latter, there is usually some sign of activity while it's closing in the background, and you'll see it go away once it has fully shut down. If it's the former, it'll be sitting there doing nothing, and you'll have to use End Task/Process to kill it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tijn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can use a card to add SATA ports.
It will be slower than chipset SATA because of the way the card has to interface with the memory, nor cheap.
I will not add details unless you want to.
I have to ask, why are you not using the chipset (on board) SATA?
Normally you can set the way the chipset offers the SATA drives in the BIOS-setup, making them appear PATA-like or real SATA like.

When you say 'setup like PATA' (=BIOS setting?) and 'all are SATA' = physical connection? The latter suggests you need to have the appropriate drivers installed, once that is done you should be able to go to 'SATA' mode in the BIOS.
mwalimu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although SATA is taking over as the standard, it's not that hard to find ATA drives, often listed as Ultra ATA, or ATAPI, on mail order sites. They only go up to about 750G and tend to be somewhat more expensive than the same size SATA drive.

I'm not sure about adapter cards for SATA support (seems likely) but one option is to get an external hard drive. This could be either a self-contained external HD, or an HDD enclosure or docking station which you would then insert a (bare, "internal") hard drive into.

Syrius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newegg has some IDE/PATA drives. About 45 dollars. All Western Digital.
tijn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the system has no onboard SATA, does it have PCI-expres? (they're the very short expansion slots).
If not, you will not gain anything other than access to certain drive types because of the limited transfer over PCI. In fact it will be slower than the on board PATA
Also, the expansion card would be expensive and it could slow startup (BIOS check) for quite a bit (seconds).

However, a card with suitable BIOS extensions (normally all have that) is going to be available during boot and thus available for XP (with appropriate driver).
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PC doesn't support SATA, it probably doesn't support PCI Express, either.

And if Mike have to buy both a HDD and a controller, it'll soon cost a lot more than it's worth spending on it.

Sure, the first time you upgrade something to get it to work a little better is fun, but soon it starts costing money, and the parts can usually not be resold for an decent sum, or even reused later.

My first computer started out as a 386sc/16MHz, with 2MB RAM/42MB HDD.
Then it got 4MB RAM, and Windows 3.1 ran decent.
A 387 slotted in and it could actually do some ray-tracing...
A 120MB HDD was added so that I had space for files.
Then a 400MB...
The entire Motherboard was replaced with an IBM Cobalt with a 486BL3/75MHz, with a 387/25MHz alongside it. Andof course 8MB RAM.
Dang! it was a screamer!
(The IBM 486BL3 was clock-tripled and the reason why Intel's clock-tripled 486 was known as 486DX4... )
When a Kingston(I think?) Overdrive CPU and a CD-burner was slotted in, it could suddenly rip CDs, and even digitise LPs...
(Another couple of MB RAM and it could actually run Win98)
Which it did until a few years ago in my father's office.

Don't ask how much the parts cost... Or about the problems with barely-compatible HDDs... or driver search as new versions of Windows meant that bits were obsoleted...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
tijn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I'll give this a try, based on some experience with missing drive letters and USB sticks...
Please let me reiterate what I understand is the problem: a drive attached to USB while XP is running does not show up (while it clearly works in other situations on the same system).

If so, it just might be a rather irritant thing in (at least) XP: drives that the system 'knows' (from the past) are sometimes (forcibly) given the same drive letter every time. Unless... that drive letter is already taken.
Do you happen to have a lot of drive letters occupied? The problem would typically depend on which copy of XP is running (as each has its own registry). Assuming you normally boot from an internal HD that is mounted unter 'C' then you'd have CD's and such sorts connected as 'D' etc. Now Windows might have decided that an internal drive was available at some point in time (Eg E or F) and your USB-external happens to have had 'E' or 'F' assigned to it at some point in time.
If any of this rings a bell ('hey I recall my drive had drive letter 'something' in the past') then assign a different letter to the drive that's using this letter now, attach the USB drive and then assign that a free letter for future, then you can re-assign the (now free) letter to the original drive.

Assigning the drive letter is done in the drive-management of XP (windows-key + r, type 'compmgmt.msc') should open management console, go to drive management select your drive and rightclick on it to select change drive letter.

If nothing helps, try to disconnect anything 'drivy' from USB including internally connected card-readers. Then start XP and attach the drive. If still no go (last resort, try to have only C connected and 'disable' the other partitions on your boot drive because those might be new and shadow the drive letter of the external USB)

I do hope this helps or at least points you in a direction... (I've seen this kind of issue with laptops where for some reason drive letters weren't dynamically allocated anymore and people slowly lost their ability to communicate digitally as well as verbally. Non-verbal communication worked though: vibrating whiskers, flapping ears, wagging tails, exasperated looks, ...)

Note that after this type of drive-letter assignment it is 'hard-assigned' which will typically lead to even more of this kind of problems. (not solved in win7, by the way.)
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'drive reassignment problem' is most common on networked PCs with a server in the net, and where user profiles has a 'Home share' defined.
This is because the 'Home Share' isn't connected up in the normal 'NET USE' or 'Connect to' functions, but is an integrap part of the log-in and user profile loading in Windows.

For this reason we have made it a standard at the office of assigning all CD/DVD-drives high drive-letters using the Computer management tool.
(Can also be found in Control Panel / Administrative Tools)
That way we have 4 free drive-letters before the 'problem' drive (We have Home Share on H: for historical reasons. Moving it would probably require rewriting dozens of scripts and macros. Some of which are older than Moses... )

Also, it's noot necessary to reassign the drive that has the letter now, unless you NEED to use that specific letter for the 'missing' drive. The missing drive WILL show up in the manager, and can be assigned to a new letter and become instantly available.

This is all caused by a Hodgepodge called Windows...
Strangely enough, I can't think of any other OS that has this problem, that also supports Plug'n Pray and USB drives.
(I use Windows, Linux, Mac, OS/2... OF course, renaming your partitions is a good idea if using a Mac. Having 3 USB-disks named 'Cruzer' showing up in the finder is confusing.)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, just off-hand, check the two drives for Master/Slave/Cable Select settings. This might be the cause of that drive not showing up when it's being used via USB adapter. I think Cable Select is not an option with most USB adapters.

Just throwing that out there.

Kel

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the type/model/size of them?
Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: