Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help with this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried Virtual PC 2004 but it won't run in Vista not 64bit anyway Confused

Hawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you can always look into a torrent of VMware workstation, or setup a dual boot system with XP pro...

"^HuK'D aWN FoNYCs WuRKD 4 MEEEEEE!!!!"
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to try is running system restore from safe mode I've gotten rid of a lot problems with that, just be sure to choose a restore point before the problem started.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that no it didn't work or no you haven't tried it?

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch! Mad I'd keep those restore points they can normaly fix things lik this.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me, does it also happen if you log in on the PC with another user?

If not, the problem exists in her profile only, and that means you can fix it by deleteing her profile.
Just log in with an administrative account, go to Control Panel, System Icon, 'Advanced' tab, user profiles. Select her profile and click on delete.
Just remember to save anything in her profile that you would like to save, like files, bookmarks, pictures and such.
In fact, just rename c:\documents and settings\her_username to a safe name, like \her_username_old.

Then as she logs in again, the profile is recreated, and any missing stuff can be copied back.

Note: This assumes hat every user on the computer has a separate profile, and that none of the noral users have administrative rights.
(You want a completely separate user for that kind of rights, as being logged in with admin rights is asking for trouble)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
mwalimu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the above reply something clicked. The following should be approached with caution, and unfortunately is rather vague, but just maybe you will hit on something with it...

While signed on under Chris's account, open registry editor or whatever utility you use for changing the registry. Navigate to each of the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word
Yours may vary slightly - for instance the "11.0" might be different, but it should look pretty close to this. Expand and click on the various sublevels and look for a key that looks like it might have anything to do with the problem, such as, say "DisableFileOption". Use caution here, and don't change or delete anything if you're not sure what it is or you could really mess things up. But if you do find a key like that, try changing it's value (and you should probably exit Word and restart it to make sure). If it doesn't help, change it back before moving on.

Microsoft products seem to have dozens of these hidden settings that are undocumented except in some of their most advanced training materials, and which don't correspond to any settings available through any of the regular option settings dialogs. Some of the malware you find floating around the internet messes with these settings.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
When I logged in as 'Guest' and opened Word the 'File' option was there on the menu.

Now we will have to create a new account for her when she gets home from school.

You don't need to create a new account.
A 'Profile' is just the settings belonging to an account.
When the profile is deleted, it will be recreated with standard settings again as soon as that user logs in again.
(Basically, it consists of a section in registry and the folder c:\document and settings\Username with subfolders. )

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Benleopard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, tough one there mike. If the basic reformate the server, or even looking deep into the coding of the server for anomaly that creates this dysfunctional loop then the last option I would say is create a hard copy backup of all the files on thumb drives/burn on cdrw's and get yourself a new server.

mwalimu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much useful information, but here's a random thought to keep in mind. Is it possible that 5" directory is not actually a unique subdirectory but a link to it's own directory?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw something similar, on Windows, where someone used a poorly-written batch-script (with XCOPY) to copy files from one server to another.
Unfortunately, the script used relative paths, from the folder where the script was currently executing.
for one reason or another, it sometimes didn't change folder when it should(because CD commands har hardcoded paths and some folders got renamed, or a disk system was unavailable), and then it went... weird...

If running a checkdisk on the servers doesn't reveal circular symbolic links, or anything of that nature, I'd suspect that the synch SW is having a glitch on your .net server where it's running.

Like my Avatar?
Hawke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumper settings, on IDE hard drives will mess with the BIOS detection....If you swap the master/slave cable positions you need to swap master/slave jumper settings on the master and slave drives respectively...

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can still be the jumper settings.

Not all HDDs and Motherboards works perfectly together if you use the 'Cable Select' setting.

Like my Avatar?
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it must be the Plug'n Pray BIOS on your Motherboard that's a bit F! U!...

I suggest doing a FirmWare update.

Or just tossing it in the round filing cabinet beside your desk. (Well, not really. It's electronic garbage and should neverbe allowed near a landfill)

Like my Avatar?
Hawke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just set jumper settings manually, Master drive set to master and slave set to slave. Cable select has never worked well for me and for some friends of mine in which I had to fix the same problems with new hard drives and bad jumper settings...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: