Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help with this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Checked, checked again and rechecked over and over. Everything (pardon) checks out. I have no errors at all as far as I can see. I'm thinking it might be my host, and that sucks, cuz these guys are cool. Maybe there's a server issue.
Discord: kelvin#0465
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is going to get me boo'd and hissed at but I use vista as my main OS *ducks various objects* hey I don't have any problems with it; not any more then I've had with any other MS OS since DOS anyway. Anyway I had it dual booted with XP Pro which I still use for games and apps that do not run quite right in vista. XP was the first OS installed then on a compleatly separate physical drive I installed Vista and everything worked great when I started up I'd get a menu asking if I wanted to run vista or XP. Last night however I noticed XP was acting a bit wonky so I decied it was time to flush it and do a fresh install which I tend to do every six to 12 months. Since doing the fresh XP install though I do not get the boot menu it just shoots straight into XP and when I try using the boot menu to boot to the vista drive I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor. I don't want to have to reinstall vista fresh and lose everything on that drive since it was all still working fine. I think the asnwer is in modying XP's BOOT.INI in 'MSCONFIG' but I have no idea how. I'm a hardware man so can any of you software gurus save me a lot of pain PAWEEEEZ Question #Puppy dog

Trekkie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midi wrote:
Yes. Checked, checked again and rechecked over and over. Everything (pardon) checks out. I have no errors at all as far as I can see. I'm thinking it might be my host, and that sucks, cuz these guys are cool. Maybe there's a server issue.

Ah, I see your problem, in your links you are using microsoft standard of backslashes in file paths
http://kylontario.atspace.com/files\SONIC_VELOCITY.zip

The rest of the internet uses foward slashes in paths. Which should be
http://kylontario.atspace.com/files/SONIC_VELOCITY.zip

You need to go through your html files and replace your \ with /

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice call, Trekkie!

Was the %5 in the file names a dead giveaway?

Kel

Kelvin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the slashes, but I did it on my Freewebs site. I went back there because they don't limit your file formats and I have a lot of ZIP files.

Here's my address: http://kylontario.webs.com

Anyway, thanks for helping, guys!

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Tips to picking a domain name.
Those are all good. Really basic, but far too many people forget.

IMO when coming up with a website, focus. Then pick ONE name to be THE name for that site and promote, promote, promote! It's okay to buy variations on that name, but use a server-level redirects to go from a secondary name to your primary, promoted name. That also goes for "www" or not "www". Pick ONE NAME as your primary name and all other names redirect to that name. Your hosting company will have to set it up.

If you have two, or three areas of focus for your site then consider splitting it up into separate sites.

Do not promote a name you don't have! Sheesh, but that's major. Still, some people can't seem to figure it out.

I know there are some gurus who say the name isn't important--that all your relevant traffic will come from the search engines anyway. They are partly right, but it depends on who your visitors are and if you expect them to return. For example if you're selling shoelaces then Google could be your #1 draw. However, some types of sites do well by word-of-mouth. If so then the name is critical. Think of college students chillin in the quad and one says to the other, "Hey, Dude, you gotta check this site. The name is ____." Will the person hearing that remember the name well enough to accurately type it in a couple of hours later?

FYI some of the sites I visit a lot I don't bother to bookmark, such as Planetfurry. I just type the name every time. If you saw my bookmarks file you'd know why. Rolling Eyes

If you can't get the .com, you might be able to work with another TLD if you do the right promotion and carefully choose your site name. For example Stephen Abbott owns the name anthrofiction.com, while I own the name anthrofiction.net (we do a bit of cross promotion for each other). I promote my site as "Anthrofiction Network". It's part of the h1 tag in the banner of every page, it's part of the title tag on every page, it's part of the meta description tag on every page, and in the text of anything I write to promote my site I always use the complete phrase and never the word anthrofiction alone (unless I'm describing anthrofiction as a genre). I want people to think of a "network of authors and readers", so hopefully they will type in .net rather than .com.

Most of this is common sense, but you know what they say about common sense. Wink

Scotty

Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another problem. I just got a new account on SL and my character isn't the one that I picked. Worse off, I can't figure out how to edit my character. Anyone here experienced with that stuff?

Aside: I hate how you have to have a last name.

Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Second Life Mentor. If your ever on SL send me an IM to Asalis Cruyff. Its my job to associate players with the many functions of Second Life.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Kelvin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asalis wrote:
I'm a Second Life Mentor. If your ever on SL send me an IM to Asalis Cruyff. Its my job to associate players with the many functions of Second Life.
Thanks. What times are you on? (time zone too please)
Asalis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m on US central time though Secondlife uses California time. I usually get on between 4 to 10 PM but not every day. But my messengers are almost always on so if you sent me a PM my MSN messenger will notify me and I can send an e-mail responce directly to your SL Instand message, without even having to log on to SL. Wink

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midi wrote:
Got another problem. I just got a new account on SL and my character isn't the one that I picked. Worse off, I can't figure out how to edit my character. Anyone here experienced with that stuff?

Aside: I hate how you have to have a last name.

Go to Luskwood they got great furry avatar kits they might have squirrels.

Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Help please please please! Reply with quote

The jist of my issue, I have a BLACK screen of death at my home computer. I tried to boot it yesterday, it would not boot up completely, I turned off the power. Turn it back on, I get the black screen saying a file is either corrupted or missing, it's a Windows system config file, naturally I can't remember it exactly. Should have written it down...

It says to put in the Startup CD to attempt to repair. I couldn't find it last night, so a friend of mine dropped one off at work.

A coworker told me something similar happened to her, and it was a Trojan. PLEASE tell me it's not that! I run antivirus software and don't go to bad sites (weak, i know but i'm hoping.) If it IS a Trojan, is there ANY way for me to retrieve information off the hard drive before formatting?

Den Mother of PF

I got ART
http://kayngi.deviantart.com/
http://kayngi.sheezyart.com
Syrius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it NTLDR, the file that's missing? Trojans can cause that, yes. But it could also be HDD corruption or failure.

Provided the drive can be accessed, yes, it can be mounted as storage, non-boot drive, and you can yank your files and back them up using another computer. An USB enclosure would come in handy.

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Hope this helps! Reply with quote

Found this with a quick search, Kayngi-

Fixing a Missing or Corrupt Windows Bootloader with fixmbr

Mike-

That's a goodie I'll have to go pick up! I can't think of the times I could have used that to fix a computer!

Kel

Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file that's missing or corrupt is
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Does that change anything?

Thanks so much for all these ideas!

Den Mother of PF

I got ART
http://kayngi.deviantart.com/
http://kayngi.sheezyart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Everyday blither-blather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: