Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My writing may need to go on hold for a while...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galadrion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Grin* I figured. But remember, I put that caveat on there... this is what my imagination dished up from what you gave it to work with. And I think it was some three months after I started reading "Destiny's Children" that you first posted a picture... and even more months after that before we finally met. *Grin* 'Twere a bit of a shock - though not an unexpected one - that you didn't match my mental picture of Kevin...

In particular, I think of six-foot-plus as big... football player big. And Kevin doesn't fit that image for me. *Shrug* So my subconcious pictures him as closer to my own height... though 5'9" is still taller than me. Ah, well, this is what I mean by your current writing style being a plus... it makes your writing more accessible no matter what the audience's hangups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Catspaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My writing may need to go on hold for a while... Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:
[

Just because someone managed to convince some myopic editor to set up an offset press and turn his scribbles into a book with an actual price tag is, in my mind, not a particularly good indication of worth on the part of the story.

It was Dell Yearling ... not exactly a shabby publishing house.

It was in a juvie S/F series under a house name. I had to do a bunch of sample chapters for them before they'd consider giving me an assignment. I'm not saying it was great literature, far from it ... though it was a great challenge working under the conditions they put on me and it taught me a great deal about how far the medium could be pushed. (It was a "choose your own adventure" book - and before you scoff, try writing 60 interlocking short S/F stories in the second-person present tense without giving ANY CLUE as to the gender of the POV character -- with no sentences longer than 16 words and no big words! In six weeks!)
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catspaw wrote:
is there a reason why I can't get Destiny's Children?

Yeah. It got moved to the Adult Bookshelf, which is at http://64.192.234.245/adult/index.html

Makes me think, though. In the Storm's Wake really needs a description saying that it's a sequel, since you really do need to read DC before reading ItSW.

Kinsfire

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
*Grin* I figured. But remember, I put that caveat on there... this is what my imagination dished up from what you gave it to work with. And I think it was some three months after I started reading "Destiny's Children" that you first posted a picture... and even more months after that before we finally met. *Grin* 'Twere a bit of a shock - though not an unexpected one - that you didn't match my mental picture of Kevin...

In particular, I think of six-foot-plus as big... football player big. And Kevin doesn't fit that image for me. *Shrug* So my subconcious pictures him as closer to my own height... though 5'9" is still taller than me. Ah, well, this is what I mean by your current writing style being a plus... it makes your writing more accessible no matter what the audience's hangups.

Actually, this makes me feel good, since you did a good job on describing me and my face, now that I reread that post. I'm taller, and my eyes are a different color, but other than those, that is me. Since Kevin is Keith...

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, was it Catspaw or me that killed this thread?

Kinsfire

Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm... think it was likely a combination of things, not least of which was the realization that this is something which only you can settle. That said, I need to add this: I hope you do continue writing - not least because going on a hiatus tends to make restarting later somewhat difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason I'm actually going to have to cut down on how much I read - it's extremely hard for me to get back into writing when I spend all my free time reading. It why I'll tell anyone who asks the same thing a number of writers say - try to write at least an hour a day - even if it's only an hour's worth of "I have nothing to write here". It'll keep you in the habit of writing.

One good note - thanks to CatEagle, I may be joining a story round on the Baen Bar. Why is this good (whith everything else I'm trying to write)? Because there are pros who read there, and are very good at telling people where they need to improve.

Kinsfire

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
So, was it Catspaw or me that killed this thread?

Kinsfire

It was not killed. It was put into suspended animation until I found the "RELEASE" button...

Kinsfire, I've read the whole thread, and I'm still at odds with some statements or comments.

Every writer has their own style, and what I read of yours, I find to be individual to only you. Your characters are as you describe them. Some start off the starting block like a Liberachi Concert... Boy I miss him Sad

Others takes, need time to evolve, some even after death in the story. (Boy, and I finding that one out to be so true!) Some may take the entire length of the story/series. A few may start off in one direction, and then change, even at the expense of the story or character.

I like things as they are- as is. Tabular Rasa would destroy a story, or change it entirely so that its a different story. In my case, I had that choice when both current stories I had got lost for some reason. I was thinking of rewiting or restarting them in the past, but it was fortunate that they were found, or the stories I have would be very different.

My vote?
Rewrite-No
Revise-Yes

There is a difference,...
And keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Concolor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My writing may need to go on hold for a while... Reply with quote

Catspaw wrote:
Concolor wrote:
[

Just because someone managed to convince some myopic editor to set up an offset press and turn his scribbles into a book with an actual price tag is, in my mind, not a particularly good indication of worth on the part of the story.

It was Dell Yearling ... not exactly a shabby publishing house.

It was in a juvie S/F series under a house name. I had to do a bunch of sample chapters for them before they'd consider giving me an assignment. I'm not saying it was great literature, far from it ... though it was a great challenge working under the conditions they put on me and it taught me a great deal about how far the medium could be pushed. (It was a "choose your own adventure" book - and before you scoff, try writing 60 interlocking short S/F stories in the second-person present tense without giving ANY CLUE as to the gender of the POV character -- with no sentences longer than 16 words and no big words! In six weeks!)

No thanks! I don't have anything LIKE that much talent. And sentences no longer than 16 words? Seriously? Don't think I could do that, not old diarrhea-of-the-keyboard me. Rolling Eyes

And if my post projected an attitude as cheery and welcoming as a running canker sore (which, upon re-reading, I did -- geez, what was up with me that day? Razz ) you have my most abject apologies. I did not mean to imply that Dell is a basement-sweatshop publisher. But, in my own (admittedly weak) defense, I've seen a distressing amount of substandard prose offered for sale in Walden, Barnes & Noble, and Books-A-Million. The thought that one of THOSE authors had the temerity to scoff at Kinsfire's work (Sorry! Sorry! That's how it came across) just made me mad.

I'll shut up now, before the egg on my face starts to congeal. Embarassed

Rava

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
Shocked

Now I finish reading this, and I'm impressed.

Problem is, it's not just my characters. I'm not big on descriptions of things - a lot of what this person calls talking heads.

Basically, this person pointed out something that bothers me about some of my stuff. I'm impatient, and I like to get to the point. Unfortunately, a lot of things get left by the wayside, like descriptions of the world and its people. I am really something of a minimalist when it comes to descriptions, and that bugs me sometimes.

I really do consider what this person told me to be constructive criticism. It came across in that manner, as opposed to Gregg Guydish's e-mails.

I found that too in my own writting. If you look at what I wrote in the first chapter and what i've written in the past few months you'll notice a change in writting style. Not a huge difference but a difference all teh same. There is no reason to stop writting or to even rewrite anything. Going back and adding a few paragraphs here or there might be all that is nessassary.

Rava's story is a work of improvment on my own abilities. I look at it as a matter of pride and refuse to go back and "fix" anything. I use each chapter as a learning experience. That's what I am proud of and thats the point of this story. To create and grow.... And entertain.. Smile Otherwise what's the point in putting it on paper. (or screen or whatever Wink)
Catspaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My writing may need to go on hold for a while... Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:

No thanks! I don't have anything LIKE that much talent. And sentences no longer than 16 words? Seriously? Don't think I could do that, not old diarrhea-of-the-keyboard me. Rolling Eyes

The 16 word limit bothered me no end ... they had this little chart that said what the sentence limits should be to make it readable by the average sixth-grader ... I figure any sixth-grader reading S/F is not average ... but they were the ones making the rules, so follow them I did ...

Quote:
And if my post projected an attitude as cheery and welcoming as a running canker sore (which, upon re-reading, I did -- geez, what was up with me that day? Razz ) you have my most abject apologies. I did not mean to imply that Dell is a basement-sweatshop publisher. But, in my own (admittedly weak) defense, I've seen a distressing amount of substandard prose offered for sale in Walden, Barnes & Noble, and Books-A-Million. The thought that one of THOSE authors had the temerity to scoff at Kinsfire's work (Sorry! Sorry! That's how it came across) just made me mad.

I'll shut up now, before the egg on my face starts to congeal. Embarassed

No prob, dear friend, I've seen some serious idiocies perpetrated in print myself.

I am pleased that Keith has such good friends that they will leap to his defense in the way that you all have.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a couple stories are going on hiatus for a different reason - my muse is apparently on vacation with Shirh Khan's.

Sad

Kinsfire

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinsfire wrote:
It looks like a couple stories are going on hiatus for a different reason - my muse is apparently on vacation with Shirh Khan's.

Sad

Kinsfire

If you love them, let them go and they shall return.
If they dont return, hunt them down and kill them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill my muse? Are you nuts?

She's Selma Hayek! (ok, thats what I want her to look like...) Very Happy

Perhaps I watched Dogma a little too closely.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
Kill my muse? Are you nuts?

Only if they dont return...
In my case, that would be when the sun sets behind a certain building in the distance, they have to be there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> kinsfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: