Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favorite aircraft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: F-4 Phantoms and Phantom Phixers Reply with quote

D.F. had to bring up the F-4 Phantom II - I was backseat qualified for that bird, sorting out our radar problems. D model, AN/APQ 109A & AN/APA 165 radar units.

It's amazing how violently they vibrate on takeoff. Full military power (WOT w/o afterburners) w/ brakes locked it's not bad. At full burner/brakes locked right before you roll, it shakes pretty bad but you can still see the gauges fairly well. At 1,000' down the runway, you can't read them at all in the back seat. Once airborne, it still shakes real bad until the gear and flaps come up. As soon as that happens, it's smooth as silk.

Kellan, former Phantom Phixer,
430th TFS/ 474th TFW, Nellis AFB, NV

D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most of my favorite aircraft all are from the 70's on back to the late 1930's. There's only Two aircraft that you could call modern day that I like. One is a fixed wing, and the other is a rotor wing. The A-10 and the Apache attack helicopter. Why I like the F-4 and the A-7 is the fact they could take a beating and still make it back home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: MOre F-4 stuff Reply with quote

D@mn straight an F-4 could take a beating and still come home! Somewhere on the 'net there's a pic of an RF-4C with a SAM through the wing or fuselage, I think. Brought the pilot & GIB home in 1 piece! GIB=Guy In Back. Aslo known as WSO (Weapons Systems Operator) that we would say as "Woozoe." The pilot was also known as a GUFF (Guy Up Front Flying). The weapons techs were known as BB Stackers. There are more but they aren't suitable for this forum. Embarassed

The A7 was a rugged little bird, too. We had a small squadron of those at Nellis for a while before they went to Mountain Home, Idaho for the Guards.

An A-10 is also one of my fav's. A 6 round burst is all it takes to take out a soviet design tank! Now that's firepower!

Our F-4D's used the SUU-23 Gunpod with that 20mm Vulcan cannon. Had to boresight those *$@#^&@ things about every third flight. Evil or Very Mad One pilot threw a 'perfect' bulls-eye on the gunnery range when he punched his pod off by mistake! Big, glossy color 8 x 10's all over the squadron bldg. of the pod going through the target (An old parachute that was painted.) Rolling Eyes

Kellan

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sits on the sideline waving her little "Go Team Nerd" flag*

Dear gods...males and technobabble...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: MOre F-4 stuff Reply with quote

Kellan Meig'h wrote:
Our F-4D's used the SUU-23 Gunpod with that 20mm Vulcan cannon. Had to boresight those *$@#^&@ things about every third flight. Evil or Very Mad One pilot threw a 'perfect' bulls-eye on the gunnery range when he punched his pod off by mistake! Big, glossy color 8 x 10's all over the squadron bldg. of the pod going through the target (An old parachute that was painted.) Rolling Eyes

Dear gods, I'd love to have a copy or three of that picture! Or a good digital scan!

Kellan ... ?

Please ... ? #Puppy dog

Aslaug wrote:
*sits on the sideline waving her little "Go Team Nerd" flag*

Dear gods...males and technobabble...

Come on, Filly, we're not that bad, are we? Twisted Evil

Nicolai
(Nerd, and geek, and proud of it!)

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...

I once did a week of target range service while in the RNoAF...
It was during a FWIT ( Fighter Weapons Instructor Training) for F-16 instructors, so you'd expect the pilots to hit the targets...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the pic, Nicolai, but they were under locked glass display cabinets. They were displayed for about a month, along with the pod, which sat outside the squadron's FRONT door.

One day the pod and the pics were gone so I called the range to get more pics. They said the negative went AWOL. Did I mention it was a bird colonel that did that? Oh Well ... Crying or Very sad

I'm still hoping it will show up on the 'net. Done with high speed cameras so it shows clearly the pod ripping through the 'chute.

Oh, and thanks Aslaug for cheering us on. Sorry if we're boring you with military drivel ... My tigress says that occasionally. Mr. Green

Kellan

Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, we can still play with Phantoms ...

http://www.skymasterjet.com/f4.htm

Just look how big these things are! (and don't let your mind get in the gutter until after you click the link which is safe for work, BTW.) Unfortunately, my local fields aren't certified for these heavy bruisers or guess what Kellan's new (old) hobby would be?

Not sure if my paws are steady enough these days. I would hate like hell to fly a figure 9 with it! Mr. Green

The only thing missing is the afterburners!

[edit]
I spoke too soon. A company makes afterburners for the twin engine F-4's! Shocked Let's see how fast we go through 3.5L of kerosene!
[/edit]

Kellan

Last edited by Kellan Meig'h on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the $$ of those
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know a guy who was involved with the very first live fire testing of the gun pod. He told me that they used a Douglas Skyraider for the test. The pilot was flying along as calm as could be, or at least till he triggered the pod. Lets just say that who ever chose to use a Skyraider as a test bed, Well a quote from Indiana Jones and the Last Cursade comes to mind "He chose poorly." Want to know the fastest way to stall a prop driven air plane. Attach an over sized chain gun to the belly and pull the trigger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karou WindStalker wrote:
the $$ of those

Oh Yeah ... big coin toys there!

Did you notice they have brakes on the main landing gear just like a real plane? One of the vids (the one painted like a Thunderbird), the pilot takes it to the end of the runway, locks the brakes, then spools it up! If the smoke would have been black instead of gray, it would have looked so real ...

BTW, my tigress says I can't have one unless I hit the Lotto ...

*prepares for long wait*

I did want one, too ... Found a field about an hour from home that flew them. Crying or Very sad

Kel

Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with going to watch .. perhaps giving the 'pilots' pointers from your perspective
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Nicolai sent me the link to this site. Seems that Skymasters is coming out with a T-38. He suggested I buy one and paint it like Stripes One. I agree with Kellan. If I ever hit the lottery,I might just do that.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think, Tigermark, if you ever hit the lottery, that you and TL would be purchasing fully tailored and customized flight gear at the local pilot shop on the mall before heading down to pick up your real T-38 from the paint shop ...

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Didn't say that wouldn't happen, too.

TM

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: