Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loosing "New Message" notification intermittently

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Loosing "New Message" notification intermittently Reply with quote

I've come to rely on the 'New Msg" hat/bell thingie to let me know when someone has posted recently. A few times in the last week or so while browsing the board, all have suddenly been reset. As if I had selected "Mark all topics read".

I can't pin down any one thing I am doing on my part to cause this. Is anyone else having this happen?

As Tygon says: Great ghost in the machine!

Bearion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bearion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
...it seems to happen as the time crosses the top of the hour.

Hmmmm. It JUST happened. Mike, you may be on to something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things to check:

• Make sure you aren't trying to access the forums from multiple computers. This will throw the sessions off.
  • If you're getting a notification message (for either private messaging or topic notification), go to the link, then close the browser, it may cause the session to mess up as well.

I'll check with the developers to see if this has been corrected in the newer version(s) of phpBB2. I've been hesitant to upgrade due to the code modifications I've done to allow attachments, and doing the upgrade may cause the attachments to go away, even if I re-add the code mods.
Bearion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
Make sure you aren't trying to access the forums from multiple computers. This will throw the sessions off.

Although I sometimes browse the forums at work, the sessions always start correctly at home. It will happen at different times at home (where I browse the most) doing different things. (posting a msg, changing subjects, etc.)
Whip-lash wrote:
If you're getting a notification message (for either private messaging or topic notification), go to the link, then close the browser, it may cause the session to mess up as well.

I seldom get private messages. Closing the browser hasn't been the issue with me.

BTW: I'm using ie 6.0.26 under WinXP Pro.

Bearion
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem several times as well. I browse PF from two locations, but not at the same time. I've not had this happen when I switch from one location to the other, but only later when I revisit the main page from the same location
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: