Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surt Show
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Surt Show Reply with quote

To quote our favorite Filly

Quote:
So grab something to bite, sit down comfortably and let the story carry you away...

Just don't forget to take a fire extinguisher with you.

I've only one word to say.

Yeeeee-Haaaaaw

To Tiger Mark, Silver Coyote, Aramis Dagaz, Aslaug, and Valaina. The Scruffy Squad plus One.

Loved it if you haven't read it. Then what are doing here go, go, read it. Am looking forward to the rest of it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, that's not quoting me but Fikrann Wink Typically, anything that is written along with the posting of a chapter or a story is written by her. Not me, as I don't know HOW to post anything on my own homepage. I make the long philosophical posts and I write the material Very Happy

But thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DF, it is, of course, still a work in progress. This one, unlike A Little Nothing, is an up-for-grabs story for the authors. In ALN, we have a specific order of authors. When one finished thier say, it passes to the next in line. In Surt Show, when the one writing finishes their section, any of the authors can call, "I got it!" and take off as their muse dictates. It makes for some challenging and fun writing, and I'm glad whoever is reading is enjoying it.

Tigermark (who pats out a few tatter fires on his fur, and nods a thank you to the readers.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rodent42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad guys, few comments.

Even from a Christians point of view, quit beating that bible so hard!
No burning down Kentucky, I was born there. You can burn down Ohio if you want, but not Kentucky Laughing

I spent a month in Tustin one week, so no loss to me there Shocked

And one quote I want you to think about as you guys beat that book.

"He died to take away our sins, not our mind or free will"

Jacobus

P.S. Why didn't you list the largest of the heavy lift planes? The Martin Mars!

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the basic premise here, RR. The three amigos are warriors in service to God. This story is part of a multi-story group, with the basic premise that Joe, TM, and Aramis travel through time, space, dimension and universe on missions given to them by God. Not the usual peace, love, spread the faith type of mission, although that can be a componenet of it, but more the "A strong sword arm is needed to take out a bad guy" type of mission. In other installments, they even meet Jesus face to face, each in a different form to each one, and not on Earth, of course. Aslaug, and also the guys, meet and talk with dieties from her home world as well, which is a very different time and place for the three. The purpose of repeated mentions of faith and God is not to Bible-beat, but it is part and parcel of the premise for the universe we are creating for the stories to take place in.

Tigermark (Just a co-author's tuppence-worth)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of my Christian friends and co-writers I'd also like to add that I have never seen them FAIL to exercise free will on the grounds of religion.

Goodness gracious, by the tennets of -mainstream- Christian faith, none of them should be caught dead speaking to me. I'm just about the biggest abomination who could walk the planet, if you ask well over half of all Christian holy people (choose your own denomination) in the world. Yet all three of them exercise free will in order to befriend someone like me. They exercise free will when I have theological debates with them (which I do, less often than I used to but that's probably just because the groundwork has been laid out), and there exists a great amount of mutual respect between them and me.

The story is heavily religious and has never claimed to be otherwise. I see it as -my- job to offer a grounding influence, and if you notice in the various stories about this group of furs, Aslaug is usually the one who puts her finger into a sore, Christian moral wound and wriggles her finger around good and proper. She's usually the one asking the questions that MOST Christians would rather not ever have to listen to. But what makes Tigermark, Aramis and Silver Coyote -good- Christians is that not only do they listen...they reflect on the things I bring up in that way, and we often have good and constructive conversations about it later. Many would scream up a storm, wave a bible around and threaten me with Hellfire and damnation for pointing out such things as when Aslaug calls the Christian God unreasonable because he punishes the innocent to make the guilty suffer (the slaying of the first born Egyptians). It goes contrary to what she believes in as good and just, and it goes contrary to what -I- believe in as good and just.

The others, however, -think- about it when I do that, and because they do that, I respect their answers all the more. We don't always agree on things but it's a fun process.

What this story, really is...is a coded religious debate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and PS to you Rodent42, The Mars is an awesome old aircraft, and does a fantastic job of drowning fires, but it still can't match the carrying capacity of a 747, or the RL DC-10 tankers they're using out on SoCal now. Still, gotta love the response of props in a bumpy fire run. takes so long for a jet to spool up.

TM.

Rodent42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,

I don't know why, but the last one just... I don't know why, but it seemed a little heavy this time. I have liked all the others just fine. Maybe it is just all the questions I have had going though my head the last few weeks that made it seem heavy pawed this time, beats me. And Filly, you keep asking those questions, without them there is no thought, you know how much I dislike lip service to something that someone has no idea about. Pablum is not what the masses need, question every thing, if they excommunicate me as a heretic at least I know I am in good company.

Rat

A.K.A. Jacobus

P.S. There is nothing better in the world that hearing a big radial wind up under a load as it climbs out.

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Unless it's several of them, all belonging to B-25's climbing out from Chino on their way to wherever. Saw / heard a formation of them the other day while I was out and about in the Chino Hills. Flight of four, less than a thousand feet overhead, making for altitude at full power.

<sighs> What an awesome noise! Not that whining screech the T-56s in the old Herks make.

Won't say much about the rest of your comments, Jacobus. I think our Filly (who seems to have stolen my verbosity crown) summed it up pretty well.

SC

AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodent42 wrote:
... if they excommunicate me as a heretic at least I know I am in good company.

Rat

Sounds like a specifically Catholic (note the upper case) thing to do. I don't know (off hand) of any other denominations that "excommunicate" their members for contrary beliefs or actions, though maybe it's just semantics. From the little contact I have with it (mostly TV and movies), Catholicism seems to be more about religion than relationship, so many rituals and rules, compared to any other Christian denominations. Though I just heard the other day that there's some Catholics that have started to break away toward more relationship and less ritual.

Continuing to enjoy the scruffy squad's stories...

Rodent42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:

Sounds like a specifically Catholic (note the upper case) thing to do. I don't know (off hand) of any other denominations that "excommunicate" their members for contrary beliefs or actions, though maybe it's just semantics. From the little contact I have with it (mostly TV and movies), Catholicism seems to be more about religion than relationship, so many rituals and rules, compared to any other Christian denominations. Though I just heard the other day that there's some Catholics that have started to break away toward more relationship and less ritual.

Continuing to enjoy the scruffy squad's stories...

Well,

Not the Catholic's exactly, but the Anglican church still does it from time to time... mostly you have to be a real trouble maker to get pitched... But I do know of at least one, too bad too, he was the one priest that I respected out of all that I have ever met, including the two that are distant relations of mine. And now I watch the church tear itself apart because they are .... Damn how to put this, the argument is stupid, it is what is in our hearts that matters.... If I had went for my M-Div I know I would be out there trying to explain it to the conservative part of the church that is falling back onto not wanting to change, if they want to be that conservative maybe they should open up Leviticus and let me sell their kids off for them, I know they won't like the new diet.... OK I will toss the soap box away before I get on a rant that isn't needed here.

Guys, I am looking forward to the rest of that story by the way, but no burning down Kentucky, unless it is Louisville Laughing

Rat

Rodent42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
... Unless it's several of them, all belonging to B-25's climbing out from Chino on their way to wherever. Saw / heard a formation of them the other day while I was out and about in the Chino Hills. Flight of four, less than a thousand feet overhead, making for altitude at full power.

<sighs> What an awesome noise! Not that whining screech the T-56s in the old Herks make.

Won't say much about the rest of your comments, Jacobus. I think our Filly (who seems to have stolen my verbosity crown) summed it up pretty well.

SC

There is a small airport near me, this summer I had a B-17 take off over my head, that was the best sounding thing to me.... Sigh, and just think if I had $350 I could have taken a half hour ride in it too.... But is I had $350 I would be fixing something at the house or paying a bill...

Rat

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate, Rat. Too many broken things need fixing here as well, the hobby budget jar is empty save for the dust at the bottom. Still, it costs nothing to amble over to Fullerton airport on a sunny afternoon and watch 'em fly. Usually it's one of the four or six-cylinder, horizontally opposed piston-poppers, but once in a great while something with a nice, big, round engine takes off.

Yay!

Was the B-17 at an airshow? There's a couple touring the country these days, and a B-24 as well. I forget all of the names, but one of the 17s is called "Aluminum Overcast." I always liked that name...

SC

Rodent42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:
I can relate, Rat. Too many broken things need fixing here as well, the hobby budget jar is empty save for the dust at the bottom. Still, it costs nothing to amble over to Fullerton airport on a sunny afternoon and watch 'em fly. Usually it's one of the four or six-cylinder, horizontally opposed piston-poppers, but once in a great while something with a nice, big, round engine takes off.

Yay!

Was the B-17 at an airshow? There's a couple touring the country these days, and a B-24 as well. I forget all of the names, but one of the 17s is called "Aluminum Overcast." I always liked that name...

SC

SC,

Not sure what the name of it was, it was just on tour and stopped at the little airport, which is named Wright Brothers Airfield. Yes I go to the Dayton airshow every year Very Happy one of the perks of living in Ohio, the few there are. That and the museum at Wright-Paterson is free to the public, they have some interesting things there too. The neatest thing I have ever seen was a zero, it had to land at a small air field near Georgetown, Ky. for repairs a few years back, now that is a sound I will never forget.

Oh well, maybe I will win the lottery soon and get me a plane.... and learn to fly... and get over the fear of flying the army gave me! I hate cargo planes.... Wind sheer.... and tanks that are not chained down good, damn loadmaster needed his head checked, he screwed up real good securing that load.

Rat

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blinks* Jacobus, you live in Kettering? The first time I ever flew was in a C172 out of Moraine Airpark. My sister and her family used to live in West Carollton. Still have nieces and nephews in the Dayton and Xenia area. Dang, small world. I agree, the AF museum is a really cool place. next time you're in there, keep an eye out for memorabilia from the 42nd Bomb Wing out of Loring AFB, Maine. Spent 3 years with that unit in the 42nd Security Police Squadron.

Intersetingly enough, the alumni of the 42nd SPS have a reunion group online at MyFamily.com. we call ourselves the Ramp Rats.

Tigermark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: