Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A liitle question about Sabrina's medicine...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWickerMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: A liitle question about Sabrina's medicine... Reply with quote

Well, it's really a SOTS question, but it seems to no be spoiler only here Wink

Considering that Sabrina took the medicine that Tabitha gave to her, followed the instructions - Tabitha told her that would make her cycle goes late.

So WHY she got so worried about being pregnant? She believed in that medicine - so it's cured her endo-etc disease - so why she was worry about pregnancy? That was a expected symptom, afterall...

Question
TheWickerMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
I don't think Sabrina truly believed it up until then.

Well, I could settle with this, with her considering her time jump only a dream, or something like that. But we can assume with 100% of certain that she "came back" bringing the pills. That would be more that enough proof that the experience was real, and the fact that she followed the posology (she was cured, afterall) proves that she trusted Tabitha for sure. Well, you didn't take several unknown pills regularly if you don't trust the origin, right?
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a cure, but like insuline type-1 diabetis, where daily injections of insulin are required, its only a treatment for the cause, not the symptoms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Teric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, but I beg to differ. It appears that those pills were indeed a cure, not just a symptom-treatment. Had the pills only been a treatment, then the endometriosis would surely have returned once the pills ran out. However, in SOtS the doctor declared Sabrina completely cured of the disease.

Moreover, why would Tabitha only give Sabrina a limited number of pills if it were only a treatment, and not a permanent cure?
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Study this link: Endometriosis

Since the problem here is that the internal body tissues involved that cuases the pain the female are all over her pelvic area- there is no simple cure- its a medicine that she has to take for the rest of her life in order not to go through the pains of suffering of the condiction. It is based on her menstral cycle, and the hormonal rhythm that all girls undergoes. Unfortunately for some, something's wrong, and what is going in them is not quite understood. If in Tabitha's time come treatment was developed, this treatment would be like that for Type 1 Diebetisis. There is no cure. Period.

Read both stories very carefully, and you will see that Sabrina is constantly taking the pill once she learns of it. It is not a 'Take one pill for a while and you're cured' situation.

Teric wrote:
...Moreover, why would Tabitha only give Sabrina a limited number of pills if it were only a treatment, and not a permanent cure?

Because the stories are not finished, and in StOLS, Tabitha returns several times to refill Sabrina's prescription.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but it is in the story that she had taken the last pill it was some time after that the whole pregnancy scare and news of the unexplained absence of scar tissue in Sabrina's tubes came to be known. I believe Chris wrote it as a cure not a treatment.

Quote:
and in StOLS, Tabitha returns several times to refill Sabrina's prescription.

WHAAA? Where does that ever happen? And I believe that it was stated in Tabitha that it is a cure, when IR gave her the pills he had questioned her of her need for it since in her med record it stated she had been cured some years earlier.

Teric

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo, Styx. The very strong impression that I got (both from Tabitha and SOtS) was that the condition was completely cured.

Endometriosis is uncurable by today's medical knowledge and understanding, but that does not preclude the development of a permanent cure 30 years in the future. Chris and James have taken creative license here, and projected that a cure has indeed become possible.
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to reread StOLS just to point out where, but in the earlier chapters, where one "older lady" comes into play and "gives Sabrina the medication" several times. In past discussions (which thanks to Josh, those posts were deleted), it has been speculated that the 'older lady' was Tabitha.

In Chapter 13 (bottom 1/4 of it):
Tabitha wrote:
Sabrina, a lot has happened in the past several years, Things that weren’t -- aren’t -- possible in your time are possible now. What you took was the first of a series of treatments that will cure your Endometriosis. It’s genetic, I had it too, but I don’t anymore because of that medication.

But above it, in the top 1/4 of it:
Chapter 13 of Tabitha wrote:
“Uh-huh,” Tabitha nodded as she removed her handbag and set it on the small table. “Furnishings courtesy my late predecessor, décor such as it is courtesy me.” She removed the small bag from within and from that removed an envelope of pills. She removed one and went to the sink to draw a small glass of water.

At this point, Tabitha is in her mid-30's? And she's still taking a pill?

A series of treatments is not a cure if its ongoing.

Finally, in discussing this and other things with both Chris and James when I started my Tabiverse story, at the time they both stated that this cure would be a constant pill form. If I were to have proposed a more pernament solution for Tabitha to obtain from the far future, it may have been incorporated in the story. I did not choose that route because I did not want my story to interweave with the others, especially because James and I butted heads against the whole time travel thing. I incorporated my solution to the limits of time travelling, whether they use it remains to be seen. It may have since the limits of somebody from the future coming in to help Sabrina has exceeded the number of time travel jumps first stated as 'rules' in Tabitha.

The discussion between James and Chris themselves also do not agree with the flow of both stories, and note- Chapter 13 was posted without any of James' techno addition, that was all Chris there.

Though many advancements have been made in Tabitha- like many like to say in our time, "We can send men to the moon, but we still cant __________." (You fill inthe blank.)

I spent 3 years studying PreMed and advance sciences, and currently my daughter is starting medical school- within that 20 year time gap- not many advancements have been made for cures, only treatments. Case in point: Type 1 Diabetisis- in a recent transplant of a pancreas in an attempt to see if that would cure the Diabetisis, it turns out that the immune system attacked the donated organ, despite the immune supressant drugs used. Further study found that something was turned on in the white blood cells to attack the original pancreas and is also attacking the donor one. Along the same research, some nuerological condictions, and even in cases of Lupus, are from the same reason- the host immune system attacking the host organs. Until the cause is found, there can be no cures, only treatments. Until then, we have a long wait, and if the drug companies have it their way, very expensive to obtain.

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a little further on in 13
Quote:
“To prove to you it was all real,” Tabitha explained. “We have things to talk about, things to discuss. And if you don’t believe me … Just trust me, you need to believe me.” Tabitha handed Sabrina the pill and the water. “Take this, something you need to do, part of the whole time travel thing. Be sure to drink it all.” She looked at her watch. “Trouble is, I need to set something else straight. Something that wasn’t supposed to happen.”

Tabitha didn't take the pill she gave it and the water to Sabrina

and to use your own quote
Quote:
Sabrina, a lot has happened in the past several years, Things that weren’t -- aren’t -- possible in your time are possible now. What you took was the first of a series of treatments that will cure your Endometriosis. It’s genetic, I had it too, but I don’t anymore because of that medication.

Last edited by Styx on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:

Chapter 13 of Tabitha wrote:
“Uh-huh,” Tabitha nodded as she removed her handbag and set it on the small table. “Furnishings courtesy my late predecessor, décor such as it is courtesy me.” She removed the small bag from within and from that removed an envelope of pills. She removed one and went to the sink to draw a small glass of water.

At this point, Tabitha is in her mid-30's? And she's still taking a pill?

A series of treatments is not a cure if its ongoing.

Perhaps those pills are for some other unrelated condition.

Teric

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Styx has proved to be the shrewd, observant one. Indeed, Tabitha did get the water and the pill, but Sabrina was the one who took it. Tabitha has been cured of Endometriosis for some time now (thus her statement "I don't have it any more").
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see it that way. And until Chris Foxx fixes these issues in both stories and things start to line up, There is a big Question on said cure.

Chris is having problems with James putting in his part into the chapters since this last one. For what ever reason this maybe, is on them. Chapter 14 looks like is going on without James' input as well. How the story will flow remains to be seen, but as for a cure- an on going treatement is not a cure. A cure means that no more treatments are requried, and until Sabrina takes the last pill and is no longer required to do so again, she is not cured.

13lack_Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the medicine is a cure, not a treatment because Tabitha says that she no longer has it and at no other point in the story is she shown taking the pills. Also, Sabrina seems to be completely cured of the ailment in chapter 40 (i think) of SOtS. While the scar tissue is incurable by todays standards, we are talking about a universe where time travel is possible. I feel it safe to say that if the science of the day provides for that, it can cure Sabrina's condition.
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A liitle question about Sabrina's medicine... Reply with quote

TheWickerMan wrote:
Well, it's really a SOTS question, but it seems to no be spoiler only here Wink

Considering that Sabrina took the medicine that Tabitha gave to her, followed the instructions - Tabitha told her that would make her cycle goes late.

So WHY she got so worried about being pregnant? She believed in that medicine - so it's cured her endo-etc disease - so why she was worry about pregnancy? That was a expected symptom, afterall...

Question

Because she forgot. She and Chris have been, well, "active" together, and she assumed the worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisFoxx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWickerMan wrote:
Mike Regan wrote:
I don't think Sabrina truly believed it up until then.

Well, I could settle with this, with her considering her time jump only a dream, or something like that. But we can assume with 100% of certain that she "came back" bringing the pills. That would be more that enough proof that the experience was real, and the fact that she followed the posology (she was cured, afterall) proves that she trusted Tabitha for sure. Well, you didn't take several unknown pills regularly if you don't trust the origin, right?

Correct!

And Tabitha made it pretty plain that she was telling the truth Smile

And she'd already tricked Sabrina into taking the first one, so ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: