Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

from the Blog, 9 October '06

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: from the Blog, 9 October '06 Reply with quote

Has it been that long, my dear? Well happy birthday of sorts, then!

<hugs the Filly>

I have a few (few!) words to say about a point you brought up, happily indulging myself because it's not pertinent to any of your stories.

The Filly said:
Quote:
Is what I am writing really 'furry' in it's basic sense, or am I simply writing 'Donald Duck for adults' as I sometimes call it when I have to explain to others what this is all about? I suppose it is a matter of perception. I tend to think of myself, these days, not as a furry-writer but as a writer, who is using an unusual method to tell a story.

Well, here's a rule of thumb I apply. As you know, I've bounced back and forth across this fence myself a few times. If you remove the obvious references to physical characteristics and substitute "normal" human equivalents, does the story still hold up? If it does, then you are a writer, not a furry-writer.

Many of us, myself included, tend to write in the furry genre from the physical perspective only. We describe how our characters look, what species they might be, and maybe get a little bit into how their psychological makeup might or might not be affected by physical aspects of their species (heightened or limited sense of smell / sight / hearing, as an example). But few of the furry authors I've spent much time with go beyond that, into writing about sentient beings that still think or behave like "animals".

Few will intertwine the behavior patterns of the non-sentient species into their characters. Here's an example: show me a story where two sentinet canid characters meet for the first time in a public place, where they sniff each other's behinds by way of greeting and introducing themselves to each other. <shrugs> Crude, yes, but it's a good example.

In my stories I could easily "convert" to the human genre without losing much, if any, of the detail, plot, or "feel" for the story. I believe that your stories are the same way, for the most part. Yes, there are exceptions (Lance Gulo comes to mind, and that was well done, by the way), but overall you could re-write any of your stories with homo erectus as the sentinet du jour and not loose anything from the content.

I'm not sure I agree with the "Donald for adults" analogy. Furry stories allow those who read them, and those who write them, a little more freedom, a little more creativity in the process. It can be fun trying to figure out, for example, what iPod earbuds might look like were they to be designed to fit the ears of a rabbit as equally well as the ears of a wolverine. Or how a being with a long, fluffy tail sits in the bucket seat of a sports car.

Furry writing takes work, you know that. The same creative effort you put into AVC in the furry genre could just as easily adapt it as a screenplay for a movie featuring humans. The story wouldn't change a bit, just some of the references to physical characteristics.

You are a writer. Just like an artist who prefers to draw furry characters is still an artist. While some may not "get" the forum we choose to model our efforts in, may not be able to wrap their minds around the concept of a maned wolf who walks upright and speaks einglish with a really amusing accent, their inability to expand their personal horizons in no way is a reflection upon your skills and abilities.

So... what's it all mean?

Simple. Enjoy and cultivate your passion for writing damn good stuff. It has been a joy watching you grow to quickly surpass those that encouraged you (at least in quantity... <winks>). It continues to be a pleasure to read and re-read your works. Indulge yourself in your craft, dear. Have fun!

SC

shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encore! Encore! Very Happy

I couldnt have said it better myself. So a few people dont understand the genre. Thats the way it is always going to be, no matter how you write it, and in whatever genre. These characters are not just furs, they are people. You could make them human, monkeys, or dinosaurs, and the story would still be there. Because the characters themselves do not rely on their apperances, they have an inner quality that defines them.

Besides, no one should scoff at stories described as "Daffy Duck for Adults". Who here can actually say that they have never watched LoonyToons or some Disney type of movie or show in their life, and didnt enjoy it?

The filly will probably atest to this, but Anthromorphisim has been around much before modern times. All the way back to Greece and Egypt. Its nothing new, and will continue to go on. Most people just dont know about it, because they dont think about it. If you say the word Anthromorph to most people, they would look at you funny and not understand the word. But if you say Bugs Bunny, then they understand.

They may not be Anthromorph "Furrys", but everyone, at one point in their life, understands....then they forget.

....and I have no idea why I wrote all of that. I was just going to put in one sentence, and I just ran on. Bad kitty, bad! =x_x=

Anyway, HAPPY ANIVERSERY! or Birthday..whichever. Laughing

(P.S. W00T!! 100th Post! Rolling Eyes )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as you can see...someone has deleted my blog. I don't know who or why, but it's gone at least. Fikrann has promised to look into it but if anyone can help find out why this is the case I'd be grateful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blinks a couple of times before his fur stands on end*

WTH?! Oh comeon..that just isnt right. You do not mess with other people's writings. Thats just not right at all...
No respect, I swear... Not talking

Ofcourse, It could have been a server glitch, but I think that would have scrambled more code than just the blog window. Unless the blog was in a serperate data packet...then its just barely concievable. Thats about all that I know.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fikrann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.. the data is there, but blog doesn't function properly. Either system configuration has been changed, someone did post a commentary that killed the blog or simply the article was too long...

In any case, there will be a new page, with new blog, soon..
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Fikrann is saying, there will be a new page soon. A new homepage, that is...new look, new style and everything. Same old stories though Smile

If anyone here was ever in doubt...Fikrann -rocks-.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Filly said
Quote:

... I think I already knew that.

Kudos, 'Rann.

SC

shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:

All bow before Fikrann. *bows* We're not worthy!

*chuckles softly* All joking aside, Fikrann does rock. ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: