Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Publication Option

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Interesting Publication Option Reply with quote

(Sorry my apostraphe is not working on my keyboard.)

There are many ways of publishing your written work. It doesnt even have to be written. You could publish it in audio format. It could be on paper (hard-back, paperback, or papers in a binder.) You can set up your own website, or submit it to others. But there is one format I dont understand. I have nothing against it, I just dont understand its niche. Please educate me:

What is the upside of posting your story on a forum? Lots of folks do it here. I guess it makes sense, but I dont understand where it fits in.

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real 'advantage' is that it allows readers to comment on it directly.
(Of course, some just scrolls to the bottom of the page and reads the comments, to decide whether or not it's any good, before reading, so...)

That, and it's an easy way of publishing...

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Syrius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels more "Interactive" to me, for the reasons quoted above.
Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no benefit for the writer at all that I can see, except for exposure and for feedback. Readers, however, benefit considerably.

"Sword", formerly posted here, was my only forum-posted story _anywhere_. I did it because a) I like the people here and wanted them to enjoy it if it was to their taste and b) I wanted to be a contributor to the forum's success as a whole. In fact, I'll probably select and offer another story for forum-posting as soon as my life slows to a saner pace. It'll be for the reader's benefit and for the forum's benefit, however. Not mine.

Forum-posting, in my mind, should not count as "publication".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: