Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall 2006 Contest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyDM wrote:
Be aware that some people will hate a story that isn't a literal harvest of some crop like pumpkins or rye or something.

Yeah. That 'literal interpretation' seems to come up and bite some poor creative soul in the butt nearly every season. I think it's a shame. Then again, some of us give lower theme scores for stories who have nothing but a literal interpretation. But not always. I mean, if the literal interpretation is delivered in the story in a way that is 'just that good', then who can resist giving a 5. (er, maybe 4.5.)

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Nadan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anyone done with their story? I'm about halfway (family life is holding me up.)

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid not. I just can't think of anything with this... well, nothing furry at least.
No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a rather one-sided contest...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am rather busy with my new job and everything but I shall try to write something... however, what I have in mind (the only fitting thing) is not only heavily copyrighted stuff but also stuff that one might not understand without extenisive background knowledge but it also might be anthropomorph but not really furry, so I do not know if this story would qualify at all.
Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning on it when my Muse kicks in. I work best under pressure anyway. Two ideas toying around, may do both, I dunno.
Den Mother of PF

I got ART
http://kayngi.deviantart.com/
http://kayngi.sheezyart.com
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of putting down my writting right in the middle where it gets hard for me. (Took a trip to my moms house for her birthday) Now I've tried to pick it back up but no idea come, and if I force it, it will come across as forced, so I don't really think mine will get finished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
...but no idea come...
You're blaming this on me now, eh? Smile

Anyway, I wish I could participate, but life is life and it is majorly getting in the way.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, see everyone knows a Princess never does anything wrong (yeah right) and since I'm such an amazing genius I have to blame someone for my lack of thought course and you seemed like a good one! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nadan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessB wrote:
I made the mistake of putting down my writting right in the middle where it gets hard for me.

I made the same mistake. However there is a solution...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

...sit down and make yourself write. Yeah, that's it. You might not like what you write, but the habit can help you find what you're looking for. I know these paragraphs I'm writing now are going to need the most editing. But I know what I've written and where I'm going. I'm going to get something in the middle (love it or hate it) and keep pushing through to the end. Then, when I'm done, I'm going to have to re-write a good page or two of the middle.

But if you don't sit down and write then you're never going to get past this wall. Writers have to learn to get past it. It can be done. You'll find the little tricks that help you personally, but the bottom line is: sit down and write. Smile

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okies, I wrote a short, short story... I doubt that it would earn me ANY glory for it is only a bit furry and has only a bit to do with the theme... but better than nothing I guess. It's in the editing proccess now and unless that takes too long I should be able to submit it just in time.
Nadan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story continues to flounder. The first draft is not complete, but today I finally got past the hard part. I have just run out of time. I hope to get the first draft finished tomorrow, edit next week (even while I'm packing my home) and then I move the next week. We'll see if that all works out between taking care of my dad (who, by the way, has healed enough to walk with a walker and can even get out of chairs now. It's a wonder what we take for granted in life.)

Nadan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that I have finished my first draft at long last (hurray!)

The bad news is that tomorrow I have to pack up my apartment, I work thursday, friday, saturday, move and work sunday, and move more monday. I guess that means I have to edit on 10-31, the same day as the deadline? I don't think my story is going to make it. I don't want to enter another story without a complete edit done on it.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have entered my story... at least I hope I did... I'm never sure if I did everything correct.
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're story is entered, Tygon. Your use of the theme seemed a bit weak, until the final paragraph. Wink

A few stories have trickled in and the deadline is only 27 hours away... but I have a critical question. See this post.

Thanks!

Scotty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: