Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of a conundrum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: A bit of a conundrum Reply with quote

Hey all.

As I am currently writing on chapter 64, and therefor coming up on some kind of closure for Transitions II, I find myself in a bit of a pickle.

Transitions III has been planned in my head for a long time. However, that story takes place 25 years after the end of Transitions II. And needless to say, there is some story to be told in between.

So I'm contemplating a kind of T2.5

There is also 'Witchhammer'...a title I have used before as a few of you know, on an abortive project but which I've revived for the witchhunting story about to be filmed by ZZ Studios in Transitions II.

That leaves me with three options and no real way of choosing. Which one should I write? I'm not sure about Witchhammer ever actually getting written, I should say...but if there's enough interest, I might. Should I, however, do the T2.5 thing or should I jump on to the final book of the story...?

Suggestions appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karou WindStalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd write 2.5, even if it changes 3 a little bit.

It would get that 'nagging' feeling that you want to explain what happened in the interim.

As for 'Witch Hammer' .. I don't know .. it might nag at you too, but it could be useful to have if you get stuck writing 2.5 or 3.

I did, personally, like reading AVC .. made it quite more interesting.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jean smiled and crossed her legs. "It's good to have you back, Gabrielle. I've missed that absolute brattiness of yours. I wonder how you will be when you're in your fifties..."

The bronco wiped her fingernails on her T-shirt with a knowing smile. "Oh, I'll be one of those truly obnoxious older femmes who wear brightly colored clothing, drive motorcycles and refuse to age gracefully because aging ungracefully is a lot more fun!" she said with absolute certainty.

Will be interesting to see how THAT turns out... Wink

Anyway, I find it difficult to advise much. The first priority, of course, has to be what you want to write first. There's not much point in slogging through one of those stories when you're ABSOLUTELY itching to work on one of the others.

That said, I'd prefer to keep things in the proper order. I don't know how long you expect 2.5 to be, but since you're not writing on a contract (AFAIK), there isn't any real reason to stop 2.0 just because you have reached a certain chapter number. So what if it would turn into a really thick book if printed.
It's probably easier to keep things straight if you write in order.

I'm more in favor of continuing the Transistions storyline. I don't know anything about the other story and I'm sure it will turn out fascinating, but it will take time to get to know the characters before you can get emotionally involved if nothing else.

Pretty much the worst you can do would be to write 2 stories at the same time.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh...

I must admit that I never read the AVC story...
(No, I don't have any good explanation. )

will I read the 'WitchHammer' story?
Who knows...

will I read Transitions 2.5 or III?
you bet!

Oh, and I recommend doing 2.5 before doing too much on III as it will definitely influence it. (Don't you hate doing an 'in-between' story and realize that the 'great twist' can't be used because it won't jive with the following story that has already been published?)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, (possibly even worse) that you end a chapter with a cliffhanger and then realize that the readers already know how it will turn out (at least in a general sense; even if they don't know the details).

For example, take the Khyber Pass scenes. They would have been a lot less intense if we already knew that Leo and Corporal Twain (minus the leg) survived (because these two would appear in a later storyline).
I didn't really think that you would just kill of Leo, but it was always a possibility.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grins* Shame on you Anthony. Get reading Wink

I still think AVC is my best writing ever.

Anyway, I think I've made up my mind to write T2.5 first. There is a reason too, why it's not Transitions III and then Transitions IV.

T2.5 will primarily be about...well...a slightly different cast. You will see...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant comment i like your stuff so much i would say write all three.
shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best to do 2.5 and then 3 myself. It would get that feeling in the back of your head of 'am I doing this the way I wish it to be' out of the way. That..and you know what happens when you make the first part, then write a prequel.

Look at Star Wars for instance..we all knew who Vader was by the time they got around to the prequel..it so spoiled the ending... x_x

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rodent42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know this is an old and dead post, and that T3 is well underway. But I still would love to read WitchHammer, and I would have loved T2.5 also, there are just too many loose ends that are not covered in the 25 year gap.

Rat
Jac

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the gap isn't quite 25 years, but it -is- quite long I agree. But the 2.5 idea actually turned into Transitions 3 as it is now...and I simply put Transitions 4 on the shelf.

As for Witchhammer, I think that one is pretty much gone by now, but who knows down the line...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: