Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Physics and other religious panderings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Quantum Physics and other religious panderings Reply with quote

Welcome to the new Fish Market! We'll move all the neat weapons discussions, destroy the world discussions, free energy, and other flights of whimsy to this forum right here!

lets have some fun people!

Religious panderings: Only to do with the various Quantum realities. This is not for Moslem vs Moslem, or any other church based discussion. This is in regards to the way Quantum Mechanics, Physics, and Alternative energy have this centering idea of a Unifying theory. Got it?
Good. Explain it to me then!

I'll kick us off:

With the advent of the mechanical age, Science Fiction has become a major contributor to new designs. Take a look at what concolor has suggested (quantum singularity or gravity sword) and what Galadrion and Tygon have come up with (Planet killing missiles) and my own little brand of insanity (Tesla Howitzers). If we take a look back to H.G.Wells, and his writings, could we influence the future by expanding our own ideas?

Talk amongst yourselves, I'm verklempt!

Last edited by Fishburne on Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan involves a big giant phlegm wad, hovering above the earth. Discuss.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll go for the 'destroy the world' bit. Anybody knows the Stellarkonverter from Master of Orion II? Still my favorite doomsday cannon Very Happy
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:

YUCK!
ok, how would it fall to earth and destroy it?

Fish, Sickness for 200, Alex!

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Okay, I'll go for the 'destroy the world' bit. Anybody knows the Stellarkonverter from Master of Orion II? Still my favorite doomsday cannon Very Happy

uh, nope. I haven't played that one.

Splain it LOOCY!

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
Tygon wrote:

uh, nope. I haven't played that one.

Splain it LOOCY!

Well, the manual of MOOII describes it as "gigantic plasma cannon that draws its energy from an almost perfect working matter-energy converting mechanism", or something like that.

For myself I figured that the weapon it powered by some kind of super fusion reactor that basically creates a miniature sun. Extremely strong forcefields to convert this sun into a beam.

There is a really impressive video with it firing in MOOII. Them beam hits the planet then for a second or two nothing happens. Then it punches out of it on the other side and the planet brakes apart into 3 ot 4 pieces that slowly drift away. Really cool Smile

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer slow destruction, like the World Devastators from the Dark Empire comic book series.

Back in action!

Galadrion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

OH, yes! A fun "end the game" ship is a Doom-Star class ship, armed with a stellar converter and... crud. I forget the name of the device. But it basically allows the ship to take two turns instead of one. Very, very, nasty - add in Class X shields, and maybe a few devices to improve the performance of the shields, and you have a single ship which can quite possibly take on the Antaran Homeworld Defense Fleet...

I love playing a creative race... nastiest combo: Creative, Subterranian, Democratic. Take 10 points of disadvantages (Low Gravity, Spying penalty, and Ship's Defense penalty, usually), so I can get Telepathic when I research Evolutionary Mutation, and this is a very tough race...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
I prefer slow destruction, like the World Devastators from the Dark Empire comic book series.

Yeah, I know those. Disadvantage: Gives the enemy plenty of time to fight you.

Galadrion wrote:
Tygon wrote:

OH, yes! A fun "end the game" ship is a Doom-Star class ship, armed with a stellar converter and... crud. I forget the name of the device. But it basically allows the ship to take two turns instead of one. Very, very, nasty -

I know what you mean. When I translate the German name it would be Time Jump Actuator.

Galadrion wrote:
add in Class X shields, and maybe a few devices to improve the performance of the shields, and you have a single ship which can quite possibly take on the Antaran Homeworld Defense Fleet...

Nice ship. I don't think there is much that could stand against it.

Of course the real fun begins when you conquer Orion and get some super technologies. I just say Death Rays and Black Hole Generators Wink

Galadrion wrote:
I love playing a creative race... nastiest combo: Creative, Subterranian, Democratic. Take 10 points of disadvantages (Low Gravity, Spying penalty, and Ship's Defense penalty, usually), so I can get Telepathic when I research Evolutionary Mutation, and this is a very tough race...

Ooooh, sounds good. Gotta try that.

I usually take Creative and Warlords with a combinations of some other things. And as picture I more or less always take the Mrrshan Wink

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Butbut, it fits in with the Emperor's big, stupid superships plan!

Back in action!

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
Quote:

Point accepted Smile

Wolf Starchaser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:

You mean the pervy old ex-Senator with the yellow eyes and the lighting-bolt fetish?

It is kindof a nifty idea, though. A major problem is it would take time to get the mining process going to the point where the onboard factories could produce fighters in sufficient quantity to provide adequate defense.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf Starchaser wrote:
whiterabbit wrote:

You mean the pervy old ex-Senator with the yellow eyes and the lighting-bolt fetish?

It is kindof a nifty idea, though. A major problem is it would take time to get the mining process going to the point where the onboard factories could produce fighters in sufficient quantity to provide adequate defense.

Don't forget that the World Devastators have molecular furnances. They just need to pull things in and immediately break them down into their basic components. That works with the planets surface just as well as with buildings, ground vehicles, spaceship and so on. So there is no real mining needed. At least until the World Devastators have devoured all the cities.

Concolor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:

Let us assume some parameters for this 'big giant phlegm wad':
1] Slightly non-geosynchronous orbit. It should be somewhat faster.
2] Mass = five percent of Earth.

Given these data, it would not be necessary for the wad to contact the earth at all. The tidal effects of that much mass that close to the planet would scour the surface clean in fairly short order. And that's assuming the lithosphere would remain intact, which I doubt.

I like the idea of using phlegm, though. With the internal gravitational force holding it together, and its ... umm ... highly inelastic structure, it wouldn't matter what kinds of weapons got thrown at it. It would just absorb the energy and keep on pullin'!

Nice thought.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:
whiterabbit wrote:

Let us assume some parameters for this 'big giant phlegm wad':
1] Slightly non-geosynchronous orbit. It should be somewhat faster.
2] Mass = five percent of Earth.

Given these data, it would not be necessary for the wad to contact the earth at all. The tidal effects of that much mass that close to the planet would scour the surface clean in fairly short order. And that's assuming the lithosphere would remain intact, which I doubt.

I like the idea of using phlegm, though. With the internal gravitational force holding it together, and its ... umm ... highly inelastic structure, it wouldn't matter what kinds of weapons got thrown at it. It would just absorb the energy and keep on pullin'!

Nice thought.

Okay, question. What is a phlegm?

Otherwise, you could have just as devastating effects much faster. No need to wait for the tidal effects to occur. An object of planetary or even only moon mass just needs to pass a planet closely. There would be some tidal catastrophes but they would be minor compared to the fact that the gavity of the object would simply knock the planet out of it's orbit and I assume you know how delicate a balanced, life supporting orbit is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> fishburne All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: