Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

He's Quite a Character!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: He's Quite a Character! Reply with quote

My daughter takes Rolling Stone magazine, but she's living in Denver now and hasn't yet changed the address on her subscription. So until she does, I can be Hip and Cool by reading her mag.

Anyway, this post is about interesting characters and what makes them that way. There is a wonderful real-life example of an interesting character in the latest Rolling Stone: Simon Cowell.

If you see the show--either one--you may hate this guy's guts. Or you may think he's honest and trying to be helpful--if maybe a bit too honest at times. Although the article is titled Idol Worship and has side bars about the other hosts on the show and the current crop of contestants, the article is really about Simon Cowell.

Erik Hedegaard is the writer. His questions (some outrageous) and Simon's answers are very telling about the type of person Simon is. You get many insights that you don't get from watching the show.

Simon would make an interesting character in a story--as either a flawed hero or a believable villian.

Erik's conclusion is that Simon Cowell is a child. I present the closing paragraph of his article:
Erik Hedegaard on Simon Cowell wrote:
And that, I think, is perhaps the only explanation for Cowell's behavior, his apparent rudeness on the show, his apparent inability to commit to a girl, his apparent willingness to lure a former addict back into addiction, his apparent total honesty, his apparent total enthusiasm for lying. In some ways he is still back in the garden at Abbots Meade, crouched inside the twig igloo, smoking stolen cigarettes, drinking stolen drinks and getting ready to hijack a bus.

The issue is: #997, April 6, 2006. The cover has a photo of Simon, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson in bed together. Get it, read it, call it research.

Much of the first half of the article is online, but to see the whole thing you'll need the magazine.

Scotty

PrincessB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats um.. Kind? But then I'm sure Simon is used to it.

There are times that what he says on Idol I think is totally wrong but about 90 some percent of the time I think that what he is saying is true and right just maybe a bit more harsh than he could be.

I could see him being a villan of sorts, something along the same lines as the teacher in school who takes an immediate disliking to you and tells you you'll never make anything of your life. The character then strives to prove that person wrong. Oh wait thats the basis of my life, thats why I could so totally see it working. lol Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: