Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALN/ALS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter two is posted!

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Nicolai Borovskaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 2 is very good. Since you're already working on chapter 7, can you post 3 through 6 more quickly, please?

*big, sad, puppydog eyes*

(Yes, Kellan, I know those don't work very well for a wolverine. But I'm only half wolverine.) Laughing Laughing Laughing

When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post them -too- quickly, since Kellan writes the other half of this and if I get to the end way before him, it'll take some of the surprise out of his story.

But I'm glad you enjoy it. Oh, and I sent off chapter 8 yesterday. I'm wondering how Kellan and SC will react to it. It's ... probably quite unpleasant reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frazikar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye gods, Joe and firepower....now if the filly has some very special ammo to go with it (Joe WILL need it)...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
I can't post them -too- quickly, since Kellan writes the other half of this and if I get to the end way before him, it'll take some of the surprise out of his story.

But I'm glad you enjoy it. Oh, and I sent off chapter 8 yesterday. I'm wondering how Kellan and SC will react to it. It's ... probably quite unpleasant reading.

I read chapter 8, sat back, blinked, then re-read it again.

All I have to say is, "Wow!" That will stand 'em on their ears!

A very good chapter and I hope I get to a point soon that you can post that one. Very inspired and shocking, too.

Oh ... *notices the forum staring at this post, wondering what it's all about*

I'll let them wait, then. It will be worth it. Wink

Kel

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sending chapter 10 to both proofers, I got their comments back and suffice to say they've both expressed a level of worry about how the story will be received by then. Kellan even responded by saying "Chapter 11 is going to get ugly, isn't it?". And yes, it will be. And other, later chapters too.

I'm therefore making a disclaimer. Eventually, I'll write a better one and post it as a sticky, but for the time being, I am reminding everyone that the purpose of the character of Aslaug "Angelbreaker" Larsdatter, is for me to write when there's something I'm angry about. Something I need off my chest in the worst of ways. If people are not ready to have their boats severely rocked and their worlds shaken up in major and sometimes unpleasant ways, it's a very bad idea reading the stories starring her. I write what I write not to deliberately hurt people, nor do I write what I write in order to purposefully offend anyone. I do it because I want to make people think. People may not agree with me and I am PRETTY sure some people will be either angry or offended by what happens as this story progresses. But at the same time, I'll say it right here and right now: this is the best writing I've done since I wrote AVC. It's deeper, it's got more substance, it's better formulated and it's more engrossing for me to write than anything I've written since then.

Aslaug is not a nice character in many ways. I know a lot of you like her for various reasons, I know a lot of you think she's a genuinely heroic character and I'm not going to deny that. But first and foremost, Aslaug is rage, anger and a LOT of frustration. She's rude, unpleasant and outspoken because I personally happen to be utterly fed up with political correctness.

As Valaina put it: "Aslaug is a great character because she's the eternal outsider. She can point out all the things that's wrong about our world that we all know about but that none of us want to talk about, specifically because she doesn't belong. She'll never belong. She'll always be that outsider, at least to some extent."

Valaina is right. That is exactly the point. Tired of trite phrases and sick to my back teeth and halfway down my throat with the self-righteousness of a lot of people, she is my outlet. I'd write her stories even if no one else but me ever read them, because I need these things off my chest.

But as it is, some people ... including my proofreaders in this case ... agree with what it is I'm trying to say. They've said so again and again and again, chapter after chapter as I've sent them off. Independently of one another, they've said that I was on to something here that really hits dead center and which really does hurt ... but which is damned necessary.

Don't say I didn't warn you. This story is going to become downright awful for some people and I would not be surprised if, for the first time, I've written something that'll cost me readers. Then that is as may be. I have to write this, or I'll go bonkers.

I'll write a nicer, possibly shorter, version of this, as mentioned, and post it as a sticky. But the warning has now been made at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the proverbial "Warning shot across the bow" ...

I think we all knew the Angelbreaker wasn't a politically correct fur to begin with. She takes pride in pointing out the things that are wrong with the world as she sees it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Aslaug Larsdatter is rude, blunt and she pulls no punches. This current story is letting her 'strut her stuff' and I look forward to the future chapters.

I did ask, "Chapter 11 is going to get ugly, isn't is?" but you know, it was a needless question; I knew it would get very ugly. Aslaug says she might lose readers but you know, my half of the story will get very ... uncomfortable to read, too. I'm sure a reader or two will not finish the story and I might even lose a proofer, too. We'll have to see.

Kel

Frazikar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks up and whistles Whistle

Rattle them bones, filly, and roll'em out...
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm looking forward to Chapter 11 (with a morbid curiosity).

I want to see if it gets just as ugly as I think it will. Shocked

Kel

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... not to spoil the surprise for anyone, but I think it'll be worse.
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad horsies! Talking about chapters 10-11 before we have chapter 3. No carrots. Shame on you
bastion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting nastier in the newest chapter that has just been posted!

My groovy death metal band, Prevail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the Filly's proofreaders I would normally abstain from commenting too much on her works in progress, lest I commit a "spoiler" and get in trouble. Believe me, I have a healthy respect for that ax she carries around with her ...

Defiance and End Game will no doubt ruffle some fur here and there. These stories will cause a few furs to feel uncomfortable with what they think they know, especially those furs who hold that their point of view is the only "correct" or "acceptable" point of view.

From the standpoint of society in general, being a member of the furry community automatically put us on the fringe of that general society, automatically makes us suspect of some unusual behaviors and beliefs. As most of us whine about the intolerance many of we furries face at the hands of and beg to be understood and accepted by that larger society, so I would posit that we turn those very expected qualities around and be mindful of our own behaviors and beliefs as we digest the latest offering of these two authors.

The stories aren't even finished yet, and I know that my personal view of things has been stretched by them. As with the physical activity of the same name, this stretching may not have been comfortable while it was happening, but I felt much better for it afterwords.

As Kel and Aslaug will assert, I don't have many answers because I have way too many questions. These stories have helped me find some answers to a few of those questions, and while the process may have been uncomfortable I feel like I understand things a little better now. I am by no means at peace with myself or my faith, but I've found some new points of view and sources of information to consider, and having new things to explore always helps one who searches.

If you must mark your territory and stand tall against ideas you find in either of these stories, be respectful of the fact that others may not share your point of view and are not obligated to. If you can't do that, consider something a little less challenging and cerebral for your reading entertainment. Remember the bottom line - no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this stuff. If you don't like it, stop reading it.

OK, that's my two cents worth. Any of you who forgot to ante up ... well, you got what you paid for.

SC

Frazikar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read CAN make you question your beliefs...whether it should is another question...
Benleopard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What good is a belief if its own followers don't question the core values, and themselves. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: