Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

And to Galadrion, I actually HAVE WinXP. I was very happy when I got it and as I tried to install it I had to learn that there was no compatible DSL software for it. There is by now but it kinda turned me of, not to mention the other 24 things I would have had to upgrade.

Besides, my brother's computer uses XP and so I learned that I don't like that program. One update and suddenly nothing runs anymore.

anyway, I'll try this trick with the startup disc and we'll see.

Both Win2k and WinXP are from the WinNT family. As such, if you had 24 things to upgrade with XP, you'll have 23 with Win2k. No way around it, the WinNT family take a very different driver route than Win9x.

And WinXP supports DSL very well indeed. Better in fact that any previous version of Windows. There are some wierd things with some Cable modems (Rodgers, I think) that use a dialup for the uplink (!) but I think even that haywire arrangement is supported now.

If your whole computer is old (>5 years) and/or slow you may want to stick with the Win9x family.

------------------------------------------------
Your mileage may very. Void where prohibited by law. Many small parts are quite yummy.

Bearion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BLITZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Anyway, it seems like Blitz's advice worked. My mouse is running again and I also have colors and a decent resolution back. on the downside, my system registry is now a year old (no you don NOT want to know)

Anyway, I'll have to see how everything runs now.

Thanks again, Blitz

Your welcome Tygon Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tygon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: