Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Computer problems Reply with quote

Okay, my computer just decided that it won't work with me anymore. Well it technically is still working but the mouse isn't anymore and I also got some serious problems with the graphic.

To make it short, I will try a few more things but tomorrow I will go, get a new HD and then FINALLY kick WinME out and install Win2k. I hope to be fully online by the time you all get up tomorrow but just in case I'm not you guys all know what's up.

BLITZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well well well it looks like I'm not that only one that happened to. Lucky for you I know what to do Very Happy

The problem is your comp ran into a fatal error, so it restarted in safe mode it may not look like it but trust me it did. You'll need a blank floppy disk. Once you have that send me a message Wink
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably already tried that. I get the impression that Tygon knows how to run a computer. Smile

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
BLITZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but I don't think he tried this...

Open add/remove programs properties in Control Panel.
Click the startup disk tab.
Click create disk.

Insert a formatted floppy disk into your disk drive, and then click ok.

Insert the Startup disk into your disk drive. Click start, click shut Down..., click shut down in the list, and then click ok. When the Startup Menu appears, use the up arrow and down arrow keys to select start computer without CD-ROM support, and then press enter. When the command prompt appears, type the following commands, pressing enter after each line:

c:
cd windows\command
scanreg.exe /restore

When the list of saved registry versions appears, use the up arrow and down arrow keys to select a version from a day before you had the problem, and then press the R key. When you are prompted to restart the computer, remove the Startup disk from the disk drive, and then press R.

I'm possitive that will work Wink
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why stop him from getting rid of Windows ME? No one should have to go through that kind of pain.

Back in action!

BLITZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Windows ME Evil or Very Mad and besides it would probably be better to change operating systems when your comp is in good operating order
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he just reformats and installs Win2k, it should be alright.

And I'm not knocking the people that have ME, I'm knocking that piece of garbage OS.

Back in action!

BLITZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well he should still make a startup disk and maybe try to fix it so he could fix it if it happened again.
BLITZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and besides I want to see if it works. Wink
Galadrion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Well, by now it may be a moot point, but if you're still considering upgrading your OS, Tygon... I'd recommend skipping Win2K entirely, and going with WinXP.

I know, I know, there are lots of scary stories about The Evils Which Bill The Gates Hath Perpetrated, but I've been running XP Pro since November, and I gotta say - it looks like Microsoft has finally turned the corner.

Customer service - which means, someone discovers a problem, and Microsoft is on it ASAP. Average patch time, less than five days - note: that's not business days.

Stability - like I said, I've been running XP for nearly a full year now. In that time, my computer has been restarted six times for patches which needed a restart to take effect, once for a hardware installation when I switched to DSL, and once for ten days while I crossed the country for AC. Total BSDs - none. Total hardware conflicts - none. Software problems? Neglegible. And that includes some older software which hasn't been compatible since Win '95 rendered it obsolete. (Yes! I can finally play Master of Magic again!)

Price would be the only reason I would consider Win2K over WinXP - if I hadn't seen XP in action. But for me, it's worth the extra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bearion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:
Hm. Well, by now it may be a moot point, but if you're still considering upgrading your OS, Tygon... I'd recommend skipping Win2K entirely, and going with WinXP.

I must agree with Galadrion. WinXP is the way to go, with a couple of caveats:
You should have at LEAST 256meg. I have 512meg, and it runs like a dream. I know it will RUN with 128meg, but trust me: you won't like it. And right now, ram is cheap.
Both Win2k and WinXP effectively flushed a LOT of very good, but old hardware down the drain. I have a non-working scanner and several other doorstops now. But it’s worth it.
Unless you do web development, and need the IIS server or need to log into a domain (like me), WinXP Home is plenty good enough.

Even if Tygon installed Win2k, the upgrade to WinXP is easier from there than with any Win9x, so he won’t have wasted his time.

Good luck Tygon!

Bearion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

And to Galadrion, I actually HAVE WinXP. I was very happy when I got it and as I tried to install it I had to learn that there was no compatible DSL software for it. There is by now but it kinda turned me of, not to mention the other 24 things I would have had to upgrade.

Besides, my brother's computer uses XP and so I learned that I don't like that program. One update and suddenly nothing runs anymore.

anyway, I'll try this trick with the startup disc and we'll see.

BLITZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I need a new OS anyway because I stupidly deleted the printer "Spool" a printer spool is the program that sends what you want you want to print to the driver, or is it the other way around? Anyway that means I can't print anything. I also got Windows Media player deleted. And last but not least I deleted MS Word "Spool" which sucks cuse I have to use notepad. Ah yes I also deleted the AOL "Spool" so I had to upgrade to 7.0 and I hate AOL. I'm slowly fixing these programs. If you want to now why I deleted these things it's because when I had the same problem as Tygon, "Spool Error" keep poping up and it annoyed me so I deleted it, although then I didn't know you couldn't get them back. And when Windows Media Player got Deleted it was because of a Virus on a CD that I found on the sidewalk that I popped into my comp, which seemed like a good idea at the time.

Note: these programs were not deleted by the OS they were Deleted by me! Although I don't think someone should be able to mess with these programs.

If Anyone knows where I can Download "Spool" programs please tell me it would save me a ton of time!
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm. XP comes with built in support for broadband, just like all the others did for dailup.

Back in action!

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
Umm. XP comes with built in support for broadband, just like all the others did for dailup.

Tell then my computer Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, it seems like Blitz's advice worked. My mouse is running again and I also have colors and a decent resolution back. on the downside, my system registry is now a year old (no you don NOT want to know)

Anyway, I'll have to see how everything runs now.

Thanks again, Blitz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tygon All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: