Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars - Empire at War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Star Wars - Empire at War Reply with quote

Star Wars and Real Time Strategy haven't been the best buddies so far but that seems to change now for Empire at War is almost there.

I just tried out the Demo and I can tell it, it looks, sounds and feels sweet!

It starts out from a galactic scale where you can manage planets, build fleets and stuff, goes to battles between space fleets in the orbits of said planets and finally down to the nitty-gritty fighting on the planet's surface.

Now, compared to 'normal' RTS games Empire at War seems rather simple. You do not build any buildings during battles on planets, except for defensive turrets and similar stuff. There are no recources to harvest either. When you attack a planet you get only what you have brough with you. Defenders have the ability to create more troops, assuming they have barracks, which can only be build on the galactic map. In addition the number of units you can control depends on the number of strategic points you control. Fans of Dawn of War will be familiar with this concept. Similarly the number of overall units you can have on the galactic map depends on how many planets you control, as does your credit income.

One of the sweet parts of the game I find is how much the battle depends on the troops you have brought with you to the assault. For example, if you have some sort of bomber unit in orbit you will be able to call them in for bombing runs during battles on the ground.

Well, since it only is a demo I won't go much deeper into it but I am seriously considering getting this game when it is release. Seems like there finally is an RTS game worthy of carrying the title Star Wars.

Dingo Fenris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about races/ armies? Any thing besides Rebel and Empire?

If you expect me to say G'day... Forget it.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, only those two. The Rebels can get support from the locals though and this have many different species on their side. Oh, and a bit of early advice there, don't send Javas against Storm Troopers Wink

Another thing that I did not mention in that mini pre-review of mine was the hero units. Those are characters with special abilites. That can be a generic smuggler for the rebels who can be send to Imperial planets to spy and steal credits or generic bounty hunters for the Emprie, who can take out the aforementioned smugglers.

Those are 'minor' heros. The big ones are actual characters from the movies who have really nice special abilites. Chebaca for example can take over Imperial vehicles Wink

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and a bit of early advice there, don't send Javas against Storm Troopers

What, don't stormtroopers like coffee? Sounds like an interesting game but I don't think I'll go for it I never got into strategy games RTS or TBS I don't like all the micro management involved starts to feel like work after a while. I wish Lucas Arts would comeout with another Star Wars FPS maybe a sequal to Jedi Acadamy I loved that game.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
Quote:
Oh, and a bit of early advice there, don't send Javas against Storm Troopers

What, don't stormtroopers like coffee? Sounds like an interesting game but I don't think I'll go for it I never got into strategy games RTS or TBS I don't like all the micro management involved starts to feel like work after a while. I wish Lucas Arts would comeout with another Star Wars FPS maybe a sequal to Jedi Acadamy I loved that game.

Well, that's one of the nice things about Empire at Dawn. It contains very little micromanagement. Instead it makes you focus much more on tactics because it is tricky to just swarm an opponent wit overwhelming numbers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: