Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Un lurking.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sphelx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Un lurking. Reply with quote

I've had an account here for a while but haven't bothered to actually "show up" as I've had nothing much to show for it (and still don't)

But soon I'm going to have my new PC built, and will be moving to Maya (Probably on Linux; if I can EVER get it working)

I've been using 3DS MAX since I was about 14, started with version 3. Quickly moved onto 4 when I got ahold of a copy.
Version 5 changed a lot for me; the lighting system was suddenly so much easier to work with, and photorealism came into my grasp.
6 & 7 didn't really herald anything major for me. Until version 8 with the new hair and fur, as well as the built in cloth from 7.5.

As much as I love 3DS MAX I can't understand why it's taken them 8 versions to bring out some built in fur and hair. Not least in consideration of Autodesk's recent "purchase" prior to them adding hair and fur.

For now however I'm switching to Maya; since I never had any books for MAX I learnt it rather sporadically and still know quite few of it's features. This time around with Maya I'm going to invest in the training DVD's or something and make sure I learn EVERYTHING from the offset.

As far as my interests go; I love meshing characters, HATE HATE =HATE= rigging them, and I guess I enjoy mapping them up. Fur is a new plaything for me (started using a plugin in 7, but dumped it in favour of the new system for v8), and I enjoy it somewhat.

Though my current system (1.4ghz Athlon, GeForce 2 MX 64mb, and 640mb of PC100 ram (100, not 1000)) has been setting me back quite a bit. I'm incapable of making big detailed models or scenes because my dying GeForce just can't handle it.

So I'm looking forward to the future; these sub-d surfaces that everyone raves about in Maya, it's native fur and hair, not to mention getting to play with some REAL dynamic fluidics :)

Expect a small gallery of stuff as soon as I find anything WORTH rendering off to demo.

Sphelx,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> CG Furry Art All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: