Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The story "Come home soon"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: The story "Come home soon" Reply with quote

A thread about the story "Come home soon" that Princess wrote.

I was really moved by this story, I really felt Alexis's pain, it was incredibly understandable and VERY well presented. I loved it... and I don't read much.
(forgive me for being short, I'm not a good reviewer.)

How do you feel about this story?
Do you like the character(s)?
Did you even read it?
Do you even go to Princess's mini-site?
Do you eat tofu?

Well, here is where you can answer these and many other questions.
Plus I'm sure that if we like these characters enough, princess may use them again!

AKA Mogthemoogle
PrincessB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks. I'm anxious to see how the other stories in the contest look.

I tried to get across the feelings of pain and love that Alexis felt from losing her Father and falling in love then sort of losing her new love. And the conflict she felt about weather or not to open her heart up for the chance to be hurt or to be truely loved.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PrincessB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm guess nobody else has read it, Mog. Course that seems to be the normal here it PF. It seems that you have to write a huge novel to relly get noticed, but as soon as you write said novel it doesn't matter weather its good or not you still immediatly become a god. Oh, well The closest thing I've come to writing a novel was the book about dating I've been working on.

There is more to the story than meets the eye, I'm just kinda reluctant to tell all, not sure why. Might wait till after the contest, not sure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Princess, maybe many have read it and rejected to post here! you never know...

AKA Mogthemoogle
Jon027

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize. I haven't had much time to read anything of late, and won't for a while longer. As soon as I can, though, I will read it. Embarassed
PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the writing contest is now up for voting, including this story here. Go tell all the authors what you think! http://www.watchingstone.com/vote.html
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mog, my story only made 3rd place in the contest, tis sad but true.
Rather bites, cuz attributes of that story were modeled after me. Not everything in the story was about me but Alexis was modeled after me, my father died when I was only 17, not from the army but he was in the army when he was young. The character Johnathan was named after one of my old bestfriends, Johnny. Though the part of joining the army was modeled after my ex-fiance who I started dating a couple months after my dad died. And yes my ex did just sort of spring the army thing on me, I asked him what he was doing that coming weekend and he said he had manuvers for the reserves, this conversation happening only a couple days before he was supposed to be taking off.
So it kinda bites that it only reached 3rd cuz of how close the story was to me. Anyway for reasons I will not go into here I will not be entering the contest anymore, this was the last stent for me, others are welcome to try but I will not.

Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to take so long on a response! Embarassed

that's to bad, it was really well written and it's a shame that you won't go again. but anyhow, I'm sorry about your dad, don't go into a deep depression on me now.

maybe that's why it was so good, because you wrote it from a real basis... still #1 with me.

AKA Mogthemoogle
PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my dad first died I did become very depressed, my Dad was the most important person to me and with him gone I saw no reason for me to continue being around. I pretty much stopped caring about anything, I started working 17-18 hour days and then going out partying and stuff. But about a year later I remeet a guy I'd known my whole life and we fell in love and he brought me out of my depression and now I'm married to him! Smile
Less than a week after Daddy died I came to terms with it and was glad for him that he was no longer feeling the pain that he often felt while alive, so really my only thing now is I still miss him sometimes, miss that he wasn't at my graduation or wedding, but I'm doing fine otherwise. So nothing to worry about. I just think its sad the standing the story got but that goes back to why I won't be entering anymore and I won't go into that here.

Nadan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really great that you could draw on your own personal experience, Amber. I'm sorry you felt down about the results (I actually thought it was better than 3rd, but thats what the ballots said.) I too would like to say that I want to see these characters again, if the emotional attachment you have to them is not too great.

As far as writing a novel, I know what you mean. It seems that's what it takes to get noticed. Just today I was going over some old stories on AnthroArchives and realizing just how much they are worth. I saw a wealth of good ideas and interesting approaches in a bunch of stories written by folks who, if I named them, no one would recognise. I'd like to think that what I write is worth reading, but I couldn't promise anyone would read them. That's one reason for the contest I set up. I not only would like people to write. I want people to read. I hope that the whole thing has brought you readers.

It brought you me =^_^=

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I of course don't see the count of how many folks vote so I can't really say oppinions on that but I do know that I wish others would get more interested. I'd love to see more than just the writters eager to see the next season, I'd love to see people who don't write, just read be eager to see what new stuff has been presented.
I always post about the new season being open on my lj, then I'll post again when theres only a week or two left for voting and I often get comments of "oh yeah thats right you did mention that well maybe if I get a chance..." I'm going, no don't wait and see if the rest of the world will conform to what you want, if reading stories is what you enjoy make the world conform to you for a couple hours.
I think the contest is a great chance for readers to work more on their skills and grow stronger, I just wish we had a larger following instead of just mainly being other contest entrants.
Is it possible to make a new thread for each season, cuz I think that would help out also.

Nadan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't I wish I could make a new thread each season. It takes high-level clearance to start a new thread in that part of the board. It wasn't my choice to put it there either, but that's where admin moved the thread. Both I and Scotty have requested that I be cleared to do just that.

As far as getting more than just the authors to vote, this last season had about 12 voters who were not authors (only 4 authors actualy took the time to cast ballots and then there was me). I'm still working hard to get word out, but somehow, in the last 50 years, reading has come to mean torture. I'm still hopeing and trying, however.

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
mwalimu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found and read this story. Kind of a bittersweet ending. I hope it doesn't take Alexis too long to learn the lesson that you shouldn't pass up an opportunity to spend time with those you love because you never know when there won't be a next time.
Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love this short story.

AKA Mogthemoogle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> princessb All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: