Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going all the way back to Transitions II and the Khyber Pass chapters, I can recommend playing 'Lux Aeterna' at full throttle in the background while reading that.

Definitely works for me Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kristie_Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive Read the 1st chapter of T3 listening to abit of heavy metal music... the best one I can think of for the football seen that played in my head was a band called PowerMan 5000 and their song "Free"
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great song, Kristie. I just looked it up on Youtube. Didn't know the band in advance. They have a good sound.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this story is all completed...all done, and the final chapter is written and posted, I am going to put on Bruce Springsteen's 'Thunder Road'...and I can only suggest that the rest of you do the same.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blunt's 'Carry you home' will be a particularly apt piece for the epilogue of Transitions III. I heard it on the way home on the bus today and it stunned me how appropriate the lyrics are.
Kaeto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Don Williams 'Heartbeat in the Darkness' to represent Esteban and Jean's relationship.
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little behind in the stories so I have no idea if couples are still together I'm restarting Transitions 2 which I stopped reading for various reasons half way through. Anyway here are a few songs.

Esteban's feeling for Jean is the same as the feeling found in "I Love You 'Cause I Have To" by Dogs Die in Hot Cars.

"Blind Faith" By Warrant works for several couples, and would be a good one for Yohni towards Gabrielle. It also happens to be mine and Patty's song.

"Poprocks and Coke" by Green Day works for Yohni and Gabrielle's trip through Europe in Transitions 2.

John Hiatt's "Angel Eyes" is reversible for Esteban and Jean.

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack how could forget "As I Lay Me" by Sophie B Hawkins, it is perfect for the state of mind both Esteban and Jean were in after the party where they first met.
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jean says about being in love reminded me of a line in the song "Anyone Else But You" by The Moldy Peaches (the song was in Juno)

'You're part time lover, and full time friend'

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this weird idea...

Particularly to the ALN-readers out there, if you want to know what Aslaug's native tongue ... old norse ... sounds like, then I can give you a very close approximation or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjksfgCp0I&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5zNK--DUDg

These songs are both performed by a Faroan band called Tır (incidentally the name of the one-armed god of war). The style is probably fairly heavy for some people's liking but the songs are melodic AND they are both traditional folk-songs that I myself sang as a child when living in the Faroe Islands. It is sung by hundreds of people without accompanying music (usually) and while people do a very long, simple chain-dance. It is both an impressive sight and an impressive sound.

Tır puts modern instruments to these songs, but the actual tunes they play are ALSO the original ones (beefed up with an electric bass, some of them just sound too cool by far).

The one called Ormurin Langi is about the Battle of Svold, where the Norwegian king, Olav Tryggveson, who had forcibly christened his country, much to the dismay of many Norwegians, was met in a naval battle of truly epic proportions by the Danish king Svend Forkbeard and his allies, the Norwegian Jarl Erik and Olof Skotkunnung of Sweden thrashed the Christian fleet so thoroughly that in the end, his oarsman and most famous archer, Einar Tambarskelvi told Olav Tryggveson "Thus fell Norway from your hand, my King" making the king chose to jump overboard in full battle gear rather than risk falling into his enemies' hands. The name of the song, Ormurin Langi, is the name of Olav's ship ... The Long Serpent (a heathen name, quite oddly), which was allegedly the most beautiful ship ever built. After the battle, Svend Forkbeard claimed it as his new flagship.

The other song, Regin Smidur, is a song based in the legend of Sigurd Fafnirsbane ... who slew the lindorm (norse, leg-and-wingless dragon ... which is why Aslaug hates dragons so fiercely) called Fafner by the help of Regin the Blacksmith ... who tried to doublecross Sigurd. But Sigurd had been told to fry and eat the heart of the lindorm, as this would enable him to understand the speech of animals. And after doing so, he heard two birds in a tree talking about Regin's plans to kill Sigurd in his sleep, and so Sigurd picked up his sword and slew Regin for his treachery. Then he rode away on his steed, Grane, carrying the most valuable items from Lindorm's treasure on his saddle. The last line of the refrain goes:

Grani bar gulliğ av heiği

Which means 'Grane carried the gold of the heath'. The word for heath is close to the word for heathen. So add an appropriate N and that is roughly what it sounds like when Aslaug calls herself heiğni.
Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who don't know the stories Sigurd Fafnirsbane is also Sigurd Volsung
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After listening to those, I decided to search for a sample of old norse without the distraction of music and found this poem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCVTodh_6aE
Kellan Meig'h
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about the Khyber pass incident, I kept thinking of Nickelback - Follow You Home for Colton Twain.

Some of the lyrics even fit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9E9E7kHmvM

Kellan

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to see Tyr when they come to Saint Paul on March 19.

There is another way to hear Old Norse, I think, which is to get you paws on a copy of Disney's Atlantis. The original beginning had a group of vikings battling with the mechanical monster, and they were speaking in either Old Norse or possibly Icelandic. The original beginning was fully animated and is on the second DVD of the two DVD set.

Found it on youtube and I think it's Icelandic, to bad they put horns on the helmets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV21Qtt6qW0

By the way I had Patty listen to Tyr and we are now definitly going.

Tyr is on iTunes I just bout Eric the Red which has Reign Smidur on it

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... tossup here. What piece of these ENTIRELY ... OBSCENELY cliché pieces of overused film-related music would be more fitting as Aslaug's theme:

1: Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell
2: My name is Lincoln by Steve Jablonsky
3: Arrival to Earth by Steve Jablonsky
4: Chevaliers de Sangreal by Hans Zimmer
5: Something else

The Valkyrie, as far as I see her, is probably the most tragic character I've ever created, regardless of how many of you think she's awesome +5 with a cherry on top and pure coolness.

Her theme would reflect that somehow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: