Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VIRUS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email me one of the messages, and I'll see if I can find out who it is.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
I will attempt to do so McAfee holds it in a temp file till I tell it what to do with it. The virus must be in the message body because cleaning deletes to whole message and there is nothing left to see. I do know that every attack comes from Planetfurry so someone has you targeted or one or more of the users is infected and does not know it.

Can you get into my email? If I leave the mail on the server then only delete the the ones I know about that should leave the infected file there.

I prefer not to, but if needed I can. Are you not able to look at any of the headers of the email? I can determin which user it is then.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it sounds like a variant of Klez with the virus in the message body rather than as an attachment. I've seen that show up on an online BBS.

Thoughtfully,
Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting a ton intended for someone at planetfurry, but nothing from anyone on the server. Each one I see I blacklist the original email address, IP address, and notify both them and their ISP that they've been blacklisted until the transmission of viruses to my server stops.
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly believe that, if it was one of us, it was probably unintentional. The person in question may not even be aware that he's infected.

Kinsfire

BLITZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree the person sending these infected e-mails may not be doing it intentionaly, since some viruses infect the targeted computer and use their address book to send itself to other users.

I still don't get why anyone would want to target PF it's such a great place here.
SkunkFox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Raises Paw Reply with quote

*Raises Paw* Um Whiplash, Those viruses could be uh intended for me. I've recieved several hundred viruses intended for me for the past several weeks. It could be that someone is mailing them here because of my other webstory. I've already changed my e-mail address back to my protected account on juno there so it should stop if it is intended for me. I guess I forgot to mention I'm sorta used to getting hate mail, and virus embeded e-mails from people that goto that site. I've had my planetfurry e-mail account up there for nearly a week now so I changed back last night just to be on the safe side and hopefully the viruses should end.

I honestly don't really know if it's because of my other webstory or not since there's really no way of telling. But if it is (i hope not) then I'm sorry about that, and hopefully it goes no farther. I should have warned you guys sooner that I recieve e-mails like this on a daily basis. So far I've gotten a little over fifty a week with viruses inside, my anti-virus removes them instantly thankfully. My system is currently virus free a fact of which I am deeply grateful for considering half of the viruses according to my anti-virus software are class A viruses and would destroy my laptop, and my home network in minutes in some cases.

Hopefully it should stop, if not then I guess it's not because of me after all?

SkunkFox hated because he writes something so evil and impure elsewhere.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rava

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLITZ wrote:
Yes, I agree the person sending these infected e-mails may not be doing it intentionaly, since some viruses infect the targeted computer and use their address book to send itself to other users.

I still don't get why anyone would want to target PF it's such a great place here.

Klez is one such virus. if you get infected you can try a site called www.housecall.anti-virus.com it's by Micro trends (the makers of PC-cillion.) it will get rid of it since Klez also makes it impossible to install an anti-virus and disables the one present if it gets through.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell who is sending these emails without looking at the headers. How often are you getting them, do you know?

What we may be able to do is have you temporarily stop downloading email and use the Webmail client on the server. This will allow me to be able to see the headers because it doesn't delete the email from the server, which seems to be the case right now. As soon as you find an email from this person, you'd be able to email me and I can parse through the mailbox.

Let me know if this will work for you, and when you'd like to do this if it will.

The Webmail client is located at http://mail.planetfurry.com.
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember, we here at Planetfurry, care for you Wink
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: VIRII!!!!! Reply with quote

Ok,been hit by 3 (three) viruses in the last 4 hours. KLEZ, NIMDA A, and NIMDA E.

IF ANYONE RECEIVES AN EMAIL FROM ME WITHOUT NOTIFICATION IN FORUM, PLEASE DELETE WITHOUT OPENING.

THIS MESSAGE WILL REPEAT EVERY DIGN DANG DAY UNTIL I KILL THE SCRIPT KIDDY THAT DID THIS.

My son downloaded something. Rackin Frackin Script Kiddies.

Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for a virus titled "just for fun, I sent you this", as it is infecting computers around europe at the moment, but is spreading fast. Opening the dummy e-mail causes instant system failure, and can cost you one or more hard drives. My virus scanner has detected it, and erased it 378 times last month.

It's out there, beware. :robot:
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh... thats the nasty MIME virus, I tried making one but its hard (as I don't know MIME). Takes ours of coding to make something that complex.
Ash
Evil Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm pretty sure it's not related to MIME, as that doesn't come up as often. Seems to me like an advanced version of the Love Bug.

I also have someone who wnts to meet you,
about your supposed, "virus writing".
RealDesertFox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'I love you letter' was actually released as MIME.

Actually it's trojans I write...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: