Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new GCSE music assignment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: My new GCSE music assignment Reply with quote

Ok, for anyone out there who doesn't have a fuzziest what GCSEs are, they're the courses we take here in the UK which are similar to high school in countries like the USA. I'm doing GCSE music and the intergrated assignment just came through. that's part of the course worth 25% of the final grade where we have to write a set piece of music. It's all set by the government so teachers don't have a say in what we get, but we do get 4 choices of what to do but we're given a .

1)Write music for the score of a horror film. If I take this option I have to write about 2:30 to 3 mins of music for the actual score of the film. (Not a real film, just an imaginary one.)

2)Music for dance. We have to write a contemporary dance piece - along the lines of trance/techno/house, etc.

3)Write a piece of orchestral music. Now this is probably the hardest and involves writing for a full orchestra.

4)Pop song. I'd have to write a 60/70s style pop song with a very catchy vocal hook.

So, I was just wondering what anybody out there thought I should do. I think I could do the dance one easiest because I think I can remix another already existing song for this and I've got my eyes on a few prospective songs I could remix, or if I wanted to, write one from scratch. I could do the pop song as well I suppose, but I've heard that until we get the new equipment in the music department, it's going to be dodgy recording vocals. (And pretty much everything else really, but especially vocal parts from what I've seen.)

Thanks everyone.

wiru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.
I can say that writing an orchestral piece would be the most interesting, and I think the pop song would be the least.
I can also say that writing dance music is harder than it's cracked up to be Confused.
Unless you have some previous experience, know what you're doing at all, or know someone who can help you (i.e. has previous experience), you're probably not going to end up with something very good. Dance can be just as difficult as writing orchestral if you're not used to it.

I'd actually say go for the horror music, because it doesn't involve as much work. Take some sampled orchestral strings and some slightly unsetting vocal samples and try to build in some tension/release.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the advice. 2/3 of my GCSE music class of 9 (including me) chose to write the horror piece but my music teacher advised not to go for it because the high percentage of people writing it ment the exam board would probably down mark the compositions because it looks like the teacher told us what to do. My music teacher knows a fair amount about pop/rock music so the rest of us have gone for option 3 so we can get good tutoring on it.
Got to think of some good lyrics though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Music Plaza All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: