Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planet Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you consider a planet?
Any object above 1000 kilometers wide
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Any object above 2000 kilometers wide
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Any object having enough gravitation pull to collect itself into a spherical form that is not orbiting another solid (like a moon)
90%
 90%  [ 19 ]
Something else, I'm the scientist here! (please make your theory loud and clear)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

Rozy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Planet Debate Reply with quote

Everyone knows about about 2003 UB313(being called Xena for now) and how many people are exicted about it being the new planet however much of a critical issue is going through the scientific community. A man, Neil DeGrasse Tyson (now being called The Grinch Who Stole Pluto), wants to rewrite the definition of "planet" which may ultimately deny Pluto and UB313 as planets along with the many other ones like 2003 VB12 (Sedna, a former discovery in 2003), Quaoar, 2004 DW(Orcus), 2002 AW197, Vulcan(or whatever is left over of it), Ixion, and 2003 EL61 (Santa). Along with god knowns how many planet shaped object from the Oort Cloud and Kuipler Belt.

So now everyone is debate what is and is not a planet anymore. So far UB313 may be called a planet but the other object are being put on hold. If you want more info you might want to pick the October 24th issue of Newsweek. Includes pictures.

Whats your opinion on the matter?

Last edited by Rozy on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leonato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Large enough gravitational field to form a sphere of matter.
2. In orbit of a star, not another planet

That is all that is needed to = planet... IMHO

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

The Gryphon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to write my response but then decided to read leonatos.. which totally says what I was gonna say. Rolling Eyes

There has long been a debate if pluto is a planet. So far it is still considered one just for historical purposes. This will be interesting to see how it turns out. Thanks for the news update.

*runs off looking for a copy of newsweek* Smile

beno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it's got a gravitational force large enough to become a sphere, it orbits a star, it's a planet.
Vee Are Are Schee
Mini-Boss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's romantic to call it a planet it should be a planet.

Which means Pluto should stay, and that we should have 10 planets.
aryeon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonato has it right.
this object is clearly in a orbit around the sun.
that its orbit is not in the standard planetary plain, dosnot exclute it
from being a posible planet.

Concolor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the debate centers around the relationship the object has with the star it orbits. Some comets may be nearly as big as Pluto. They orbit the Sun. But they are not planets.

Basically, if the object is outside Neptune's orbit most of the time (that is, an Oort or Kuiper object) I don't think it ought to be referred to as a planet, no matter its size. Of course, if there were any really large (Mercury-sized or bigger) objects out there, we almost certainly would have detected them by now.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pluto and Mercury are about the same size (Mercury being a bit bigger). And Pluto has its own moon- Chiron, which Mercury & Venus are Moonless.

The debate must be if it has enough mass to have its own gravity (an orbiting moon would be proof of such), then its a planet. Comets could be as big as planets but does not exort enough gravitation yeild to, shall we say, 'pull its own weight around'.

A denser mass means a stronger gravity. Pluto has enough to achive this, but an all ice-ball comet might not.

Pluto is a planet. I really dont care what so-called experts has to say.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
RedneckFur

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others...If it forms a sphere and orbits a star, its a planet, regarless of size........I know we have 9 named planets now, but I'm not familiar with those other objects....Assuming that they all are reconised as planets...how many will we have then?

I once heard that another planet was discovered orbiting between the sun and mercury.....is there any truth to this?

If you could give me some links where I can read up on those new planets, I would be very grateful

Redneckfur/Clydesdale

mwalimu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these links:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050729_new_planet.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050802_planet_definition.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/hubble_sedna_040414.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sedna_pluto_040317.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/new_object_040219.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/names_game_030812.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Planet Debate Reply with quote

What constitutes a planet?

Now that's a really odd question that doesn't apparently have a correct answer. I am, alas, one of those strange people who plays a certain RPG subworld called SpellJammer (yes, that's 2nd ed AD&D), and lemme tell you, that game has some odd ideas as to what a planet is.

Personally, I would define a planet as:

1: any body of matter, doesn't matter the composition, shape, or anything of the sort as long as it is larger than, say, a mile in diameter or more? They used to classify planets by size at one time. A "Class A" planet was of x size, Class B was y size, and so on.

2: the object must be in orbit about - and you're gonna love THIS phrase - an object at the center of a galactic solar system. NOT all solar systems center on stars. Some of them center on former stars, or really dense masses of iron (if I remember correctly). Just because it's in orbit doesn't mean it's orbiting the right thing, or there wouldn't be moons.

This means that planets could be made ENTIRELY of gas, that a "star" is technically a planet as well, and that, so long as it's in orbit, a really large ball of ice could be a planet.

Of course, likewise, that means that a plant big enough to have it's own gravity well could be a planet too. Mr. Green

Jbird
Forum Hatchetman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Planet Debate Reply with quote

Pflarrian wrote:

Of course, likewise, that means that a plant big enough to have it's own gravity well could be a planet too. Mr. Green

Why does this remind me of Hitchhiker's Guide physics? Razz

(00:40:05) nbz: you win at the motherf***ing internet O_O
Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try figuiring out a trinary star system with 48 known planets and one of the stars is a dead nuetron star, another a red super giant and the third a white dwarf, each orbiting each other and all upon itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
RedneckFur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...that sounds difficult.....is there such a system?
aryeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whell there will be no life on any of those planets, the radiation of the neutron star has destroyed any atempt.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: