Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to handle a paradox?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirrel wrote:
Quote:
The cosmos is a wonderous thing, but it's nothing compared to a good multiverse.

All true, Hikaru. I was playing with the idea of 'expansion'. The idea that the norm seems to be to make more rather than less of anything. I've heard that the level of uniformity in the universe is increasing (Entropy in a 'closed' system) and yet the level of complexity seems to be increasing too. (at least on a smaller scale). It's like saying both Good an Bad are increasing at the same time. So, how can one increase opposites and still maintain balance? Only one way. Expansion.

O 'couse, all of my musings may be a load of hooey - which seems to be getting bigger, too. Very Happy

Cirrel

Actually, there's proof that the universe isn't entropic. Galaxies have been shown to, for some unexplaine as of yet reason, give off massive bursts of energy which far outweighs the amount of matter that could be contained in the black hole of it's core. Scientists believe that these super-heavy objects occasionally punch through to a higher energy state universe, releasing massive amounts of energy before the hole closes.

You should check out the research on quasars. A single object releasing energy greater than that output by multiples of galaxies combined.

Nope. Not an entropic system. If there are multiple dimensions out there, the big bang could simply have been a blackhole punching through to our side creating a white spout and triggering the start of things over here.

Then again, it could have just been god lighting a fart. Nobody's got proof either way yet.

Cheers

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
webkilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god lighting a fart? HOLY SHIT! Laughing

As for alternate timelines and stuff like that:

I work with the "Back to the future" way of look at it... that the alternate stuff is only visible to the timetraveler (hasn't this been up before) ...

But I'm also down with multi-verse idea. I think of the lot as a checker-board setup (but I'll first be able to explain that when I learn 3D-artistry)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Actually, there's proof that the universe isn't entropic. Galaxies have been shown to, for some unexplaine as of yet reason, give off massive bursts of energy which far outweighs the amount of matter that could be contained in the black hole of it's core. Scientists believe that these super-heavy objects occasionally punch through to a higher energy state universe, releasing massive amounts of energy before the hole closes.

Mm... that doesn't prove that the universe isn't entropic, unless you're limiting the definition to our observable 3-spatial-dimension, single-temporal-dimension four-space - a hypothesis negated by stipulating the "higher energy state universe" you mention. By the basic theory, if there is any way to connect the two universes (urg... that is a hideous construction!), then they are not actually separate but are different parts of the same universe.

Hm. My own pet theory (which may be wrong, unprovable, a tautology, or even complete and utter bovine effluvium - take your choice) is that "entropy" is a tendency along the temporal axis (axes), influencing but not forcing the flow of energy in certain directions - analogous to the way gravity "influences" fluids such as water in observable space-time. That particular model allows for local influences to appear to reverse entropy - much as wave action appears to cause water to flow (temporarily) upslope on a beach - but overall, the tendency is still for matter-energy to progress towards the most evenly-distributed state possible... that is, towards "maximum entropy".

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank god I dropped out of theorical physics when I did... it wold not have mixed well with the Pre-med/Bio career I choose, but hey, I ended up teaching instead. Cool

It seems that the universe is part of a larger multiverse. Given that, it would be possible for things in this universe to pass through another and another to enter this one. In both physical and engery forms.

Strangely, I remember a case of early Quantum Theory classes, where they have these 1/2 sphere's of uranium on a set screw gizmo, and in one of these classes, some idiot turned the screw too hard and caused critical mass for about a second. What happened next was even stranger. The class wrote of the room being filled with light from all around and all of the sudden, they were no longer in the room, but floating around in "elsewhere." They were all returned when the professor grabbed the device and slammed it against the table, breaking it and the 2 halves separated. Both the professor and assistant died from radiation poisoning in less than a week. The class survived.

It is known however, that in every massive nuclear reaction where critical mass is achieve, there is a breakdown in the 3D universe and a doorway opens. This is why building where these devices went off- remained standing, though temporily protected in 'elsewhere'. Its the return back here that they usually dont survive.

So in short, yes. Engery can go in to and come back from 'somewhere' or 'elsewhere'. It seems that phyical matter can undergo this as well... But applying it into real science... that we'll have to wait and see.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
RodTerl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: WWWHHHHEEEEEEE!!!! 8) Reply with quote

Hi Elfen, Hi Gyz Cool

Been wandering round the net a bit, doing some calculations, simple maths.. like, writing down the infinite term in an infinite expansion.. Yes, for the value of e, you too can write, and solve the infinite term, without having to write the intervening terms Cool

Something I found interesting.. Stephen Hawking, wrote a paper in 1978!, that shoed that N=8 gravity only works in 11 dimentions.. it took to only a ocuple years ago, for someone to realise that 5, 4D equations, would fit together, if you assumed they were 5, 5D equations, with a different Zero function in each?.

We live in a Flatland. Of ideas, not physical. 8(

Im trying to work out the mnaths, for the values, because of the Gravity B probe. If Im correct, partially or not, in One simple idea, then a simple alteration would have lots of fun. Cool

Take Einsteins equations, and what they mean, how theyre used etc.. and just use One Minor alteration.

Assume speed of ligh varies, and use Einteins own equations to define what this implies for structure of spacetime etc. The math Im working on at the moment, is the relationship between Energy, and Momentum, the ratio which gave rise to the expression E=Mc^2.

Cool

The simple part about the derivation of the equation, was that it was done using a binomial expansion.. that is, a mathematical approximation only valid for low ratios of velocity to speed of light.

The equation, using a variable speed of light, hopefully, gives a Simple, absolute solution, which deviates from classic relativity only at hihg speeds.. Like 70% c, which is easily approachhable by particle accelerators.

And for those.. theres an interesting effect that occurs during acceleration, which accurate measurements would be very useful.. The point where the beam stabilises.

According to classical physics, the electric field of a charged particle remains constant, but the magnetic field increases with velocity. Therefore, at some velocity, if unbounded, the magnetic field generated by a moving charged particle in a beam, would equal the electrostatic repulsion by the other hcarged particles in the beam, and the bbeam wouldnt spread. Any faster, and the magnetic field would cause the beam to start to collapse to its centre.

The only trouble is, from the measurements.. This velocity happens to be the speed of light.

Yet, the changeover point occurs in particle accelerators. They are reaching the classic speed of light maybe, but a fraction the true, local, beam speed of light? And, because all measurements are made using the interactions of electromagnetic radiation, its always measured as a Fraction of the speed of light, Because you annot measure the speed of light?. Or.. How would you?.. Michealson Morely Interfoerometer around two drums of fibreoptic, which can have huge mases inserted in the cores altternatively, nd measure the phase shift due to velocity variations of grav field?

I cant do calculus 8(. So I stick with 8th grade.. and I get useable results 8}

Wish you all the best. Cool

By the way, if you really want to know how the Multivers is designed?.. Its an 11 dimensional mathematical model, consisting of 5 complex dimentions, through which our 4 dimensional membrane folds in a fractally convoluted manner, and time is caused by a comparision of information states averaged over the whole of possibilities at any given point Cool

Have a look at Douglas Adams, Whole General Sort Of MisH Mash Cool

Sigh, the things I have to go through to create a crude Graphics card.. the 6800 series?.. Is aobut the Bottom end of hwat Id really expect.. and Teyer Still screing them up 8(.. Wheres out Pixel Plotted screen.. Sod polygons.. at 6 Billion pixels per second, Id Expect at least TV resolution, Perfect grphics.. If the hardware had been designed Correclty. that is, to crate the graphics, rather than push pixels, would only need about 8 Million pixels per second. Its just that, they would be the Right pixels for the job Cool

Sorry bout this. really annoys me seeing a flat gun in my face, where the texture is Blurred, and not Spread, as it would be at such a close view 8(

Hope you got a good supply of aspirin.. I promise Ill get this math sorted someday, maybe even a picture plotted, or even an anim of a Habbakuk reaming a Wormhole Cool

Wish all furries a happy time.. The next chapter is almost here.. Cool

An AOS 4.0 SDK is out.. Why am I happy? 8}.. micro second task switching on an 800 PPC.. which can be run up to 1165 with just a bigger cooler Cool

And speeds of down to 100 nano second.. with hopes for a 5 Ghz Power 5 to come?. and optimisations?.. How would you like a CPU, with a 20 Nano Second taskswitch time.. compared to 2 Millisecond for Windows? Cool

Oh well.. Since we cant fly Concorde into Space no more.. have to keep everything else alive we can. 8(

SRN4, Concorde, Harrier, just 3 UK Firsts, and only, that will be mssed. 8(

Sigh 8(

RodTerl

Whats the difference between a Nuclear Bunker Buster and a Grand Slam?. A Grand Slam will hit, and Destroy the target, the nuke can be hidden in a backpack.. Hmm.

50 foot of reinforced concrete will stop most nukes dead in their tracks. A Grand Slam will just come right on through, and keep right on going.

a B52 can carry 4 of them. An Antonov, 12.

Moop I apologise. Got the stuff to actually Build something.. and no.. reason?. to do so 8(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Tabitha the Story All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: