Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comedy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Comedy Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there's anybody here who writes or has considered writing comedy. Just a question...
Nadan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of writing 'comedy' is very daunting to me. Comedy is so subjective. I have written satire before, but it was more gruesome than funny. To me, when I think of reading something that could be considered 'comic' I think of "The Hitchhikers Guide". Now that was a funny book. It was so mind-blowingly absurd and written in a completely straight and matter-of-fact way that I couldn't put it down.

But writing ha-ha funny? Eh, I don't think I'd do that.

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
RunningCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some where that writting Comedy is the hardest form of writting out there. Think about all the books out there. How many of them are complely funny, other than joke books. I rememmber from a collage course I took on scriptwritting the professor said that writting a comedy can be twice as hard as writting a drama.
beno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually have to agree with both of you there. Comedy is what I decided to start writing because I realised that I was able to naturally make people laugh from just the way I put things in normal conversation, so I'm hoping I can do the same when I put pen to paper. I'm writing screenplays, not novel, as well by the way. Another thing - has anybody here thought of writing FURRY comedy? There's only one comedy out there which comes to mind which is a furry comedy - Father of the Pride. And it's my favorite TV show of all time. After that it's the Hitch Hiker's Guide series.
Superlagg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told that my story has a sort of a Douglas Adams sort of humor to it.
beno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stoy is that? I wanna read it! I love Doug Adams!
PrincessB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres comedy in the Adventure Kay stories? Coulda fooled me. Course I didn't read it all the way through, to be honest it was kinda borring and failed at keeping my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually took a few stabs at comedy in my Clarence & Cindy story though I'm not sure as to how well they hit their mark.

Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't write comedy very often, though I often try to add a sort of dark humor to some works. My main tool in doing this is creating wildly inappropriate mismatches between situations, actons, and styles. For example, in one tale of mine a very sympathetic, loving man very important to the plotline and (hopefully) beloved to the reader is murdered. He is a professional clown, and is brutally gunned down in full makeup. One of his fellow clowns ends up astride one of the gunmen's chest, also in full makeup, screaming and desperately flailing him to death with a rubber chicken. My aim is to make the reader literally laugh and cry at the same time.

Probably the only "striaght" comedy I've ever written was just in the past few months. I tried using the same techniques, and ended up telling a dark, mysterious story in much the same "voice" as the Batman movies. It too was a superhero "origin" story. However, in this case the superhero involved was "The Crapper". In his real-life job as the world's leading commode engineer and tester, he was flying aboard a B-2 Stealth bobmer over the Bermuda Triangle, in the act of field-testing a Stealth commode, when a mysterious brown storm developed and fired a strange discharge up his anus. The rest went pretty well; by the time I was done he had discovered all of his superpowers, found a sidekick, developed his Crapmobile, and had completed his first superhero adventure.

My favorite line? "You have seen my rectum before, and you know what it can do!"
Superlagg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beno wrote:
What stoy is that? I wanna read it! I love Doug Adams!

That would be "The Adventures of Timothy Mankert", a link to it is in my signature. Enjoy!

beno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. thanks. I'll read it when I can but I'm reading several books all at once at the mo. Racky's book, Redwall,...
Looks good though.

RunningCat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since seeing this post I have begun to try and write a story with a good amount of comedy in it. In most cases I write so series that can get depressing or maybe I take my writting so seriesly. Who knows any way I found that writting in a comedy of errors is quit intersting I could even see the scene happening before my eyes as I wrote it out. It was a pretty basic joke (of sort) but I tought it was quite funney.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: