Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notification!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Notification! Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'll make this one a sticky, just yet.

So far, I want to make sure the things I'm saying here -have- been said.

The characters in my stories are mine, or ones I have obtained permission to use by specifically asking their originators. The storylines are my own...in some cases built on my own life experiences. The pain is my own, as is the joy of writing these things and sharing them with all of you.

The reason I am saying this is because I have just received a serious warning...one I choose to place absolute, one hundred percent faith in. What this warning is about, I will keep to myself. However, my readers all know that these stories -are- indeed mine.

Like I have already posted on my own site, I will defend my creation in any way necessary. I do not make money on this. It's non-profit for me, but like many of you know, writing these things serves as catharsis for me in the truest, psychoanalytical meaning of the word. I will not have someone rip my means of healing my wounds away from me, for their personal pleasure.

I have given permission to use certain of -my- characters to people I trust. I will likely continue to do so...if I trust people. But anyone using my characters without my permission, anyone who steals my stories, anyone who tries to claim that they WROTE what I have put my heartsblood into creating, or anyone who tries to steal the artwork that people have made so far or that may be made in the future will be in a lot of trouble.

I'm sorry that I have to write this at all, but during my failed marriage, my ex experienced art-theft personally. The grief this caused...the anger and resentment, and the feeling of being emotionally raped...was so serious I feel I had better make sure I have written this in advance.

My creation is -mine-. It is not something flippant or something I don't care about. It means a lot to me.

Thank you for reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a great number of PF sites have gotten lost in the update. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm not the only one who's site has gone missing. Stay tuned...I hope it'll be solved within a day or two...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work again now. If you use the link on PF, it will send you to the new location for the place Smile

If you still have problems, shift-reload might work. At least it works for me again. Smile
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does shift-reload do (in which browser) that just plain reload doesn't do?
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
What does shift-reload do (in which browser) that just plain reload doesn't do?

May also be CTRL-reload.
Some providers (AOL) or your company's IT department save on bandwidth by caching data on the proxy that sits between you and the rest of the internet.
Using shift- or ctlr-reload tells the proxy that they should reaload the data from the source and not just send you their cached data again. If they really do that is anybody's guess, though.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nameless said it Smile

The thing is I'm using Firefox, and Shift-reload empties the cache.

Anyway, my site works again and that's the main thing.
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And are you referring to shift-click on the reload button, Shift-F5 (reload), or both?
Fikrann

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmigaDragon wrote:
And are you referring to shift-click on the reload button, Shift-F5 (reload), or both?

Both. Though shift-click seems to be more effective, especially against IE.

On a side note, the planetfurry's ftp server is currently ailing - in nine out of ten attempts I can't even get the directory listing from a directory containing two items! If the problem persist, I migt not be able to update on time.

Fikrann.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: The best...and the worst... Reply with quote

Is it possible to have the best and the worst day of your adult life in the same day?

Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. But if it is, today is a serious candidate for me...

It is now 23 minutes to 5 in the afternoon...and if the rollercoaster starts up again I may quite possibly fall apart.

It all started so well this morning. I got up...logged on and read emails. Talked to a very, very nice bloke from the United States that I must admit I have a very, very serious interest in. I didn't have all that long...but we did get our first voice-conversation handled this morning. It was great. I figured...things couldn't possibly go wrong the rest of the day.

I had a meeting at Uni at 10 past 12. I left home early, because I wanted to drop by two places before getting there. One, I wanted to go by the university library to renew some books that I am using for my paper. Secondly, I wanted to go by the SU-office.

I need to explain this. SU is short for 'Statens Uddannelsesstøtte' which means 'State Education Support' if you translate it directly. Rather than take a loan, Denmark pays it's students to study...and you can then take a loan on TOP of it. Which is necessary for 80 percent of all students, but at least some of the money is 'free' so to speak. However, to prevent what is commonly called 'eternitystudents'...about a decade ago, a change was made so that only 70 months worth of student support would be granted. That is six years. Since most higher level educations take 5 years to complete, that only leaves one year for screwing up or retaking semesters.

In my case...it has been even more complicated. Originally, I studied archeology. Classical and Medieval respectively, I did so for two years but I was in such a tremendously sorry state that I couldn't even complete a single exam. I was an absolute WRECK of a person back then, and I had not yet started hospital treatment. Needless to say, I dropped out. However, I had spent 24 months worth of SU. When I moved away, I got into treatment. At last. This was in the spring of 1998, and in the FALL of 98, I figured 'hey, I'm in treatment now, I can take on the whole WORLD'...and I signed up to study to be a history teacher, stupid as I was. Six months later, I dropped out of that education too, again without completing any exams and again in a completely sorry state.

30 months gone. 40 months remaining. Not enough, as you can see, to complete my education.

Mistakingly, a clerk at the SU office had given me the impression that it was possible to apply for another 12 months, on condition that these 12 months were paid back in full. Not just the normal loan rate but every penny. This would be expensive but...necessary. However, she had failed to make it clear that this could only be applied for -once- one only had exactly 12 months left to go on one's education.

Suddenly...I found myself in a situation where my education would end on new years day...first of January, 2006...because I had no way of getting an income for six months.

This was made clear to me -during- the meeting. I had not managed to go by either the SU office OR the library since the busses had been seriously delayed. During the meeting, I told the others 'look, I have to go at 2 at the latest because I need to drop by the SU office to apply for those 12 months'...

They all looked at me quizzically and explained that I couldn't do that for another six months. I swear...my future ground to a halt...started to ignite, and came crashing to the ground before my eyes. I was very nearly in a state of panic as I sprinted the half mile to the SU-office and asked them if this was indeed the case.

It was.

I admit...I sat there and started to cry. Right in front of the clerks who were very confused. Then...to my great luck, their boss happened to drop by. She normally isn't available to ask for advice because she's got a big enough job coordinating the SU and the special needs of nearly 20.000 students with Copenhagen. But as luck would have it, she came in to see me -just- as i disintegrated in front of a luckless clerk who wanted very badly to help but didn't know what to tell me. She looked at her boss and said 'please, I need a hand here. There -must- be something we can do for her'.

The clerk's boss took care of it. Explained to me exactly how I could apply for extra months of SU, but also explained to me that I couldn't be -sure- to get it. She was very patient and -very- good at inspiring confidence though...and most importantly, she was very detailed about how I should do it to have the best chance.

Still...as I left, I knew that I was in a really bad situation. I knew that in a year, I would've been in this situation anyway...but I would have had a whole year to find a solution.

I went to the library to renew the books, and the clerk at the desk there looked at me and said 'you look like something awful just happened...what's wrong?' and of course I explained briefly. I said I needed to get a hold of my parents but it looked like they'd taken down their payphone.

'I'm not allowed to let you borrow mine...so I'll just go downstairs for ten minutes, okay?' she said and pointed to her phone.

I called my dad...explaining briefly again and telling him to please call me in an hour when I'd gotten home.

Then...I went back home.

It was an awful trip. I kept crunching numbers in my head. I get about 6.500 kroner every month, all things included. That is, in today's exchange rate (fresh off the bank homepages) almost -precisely- 1.000 dollars a month. The exchange rate is 640 kroner for 100 dollars.

How was I going to get that kind of money conjured up, six months in a row...on less than two months notice with no real chance of getting a job? Even if I could...that would seriously impact my ability to work on my papers. How was I going to get through this if the application for more months worth of SU didn't go through? I realized...there -was- no way. If things didn't work out with the application, my education would -end- on January 1st. How was I going to come up with 39.000 kroner? I couldn't. Not out of thin air.

I was not in a good state when I came home. I picked up my cellphone which symptomatically told me to please pay more money for more time...I had just two minutes left on it. I called my dad and asked him to call me back.

He did. Telling me that he was going to put the loudspeaker on so my mother could hear too.

My mother...whom is a social worker by education and therefor knows 'the system' inside out, back to front, upside down IN HER SLEEP.

Also my mother whom is the direct inspiration for the character 'Marie' in T1.

I'm sure why some of you could see why I wasn't quite sure how it'd go.

I am ashamed that I felt that way. They were there for me. Both of them. One hundred and twenty percent. 'Don't worry about it...first of all, your exams are in January. If you haven't got the money from the SU-people before then, we've got enough to let you have the money for January. It gives you an extra month'.

My mother said this.

Already, I felt a great sense of relief. Even if I work as fast as I can on everything I do from here on...the SU people take their time in handling applications for 'refunded months'. This would give me that time. But it would still leave me with five unaccounted months.

'You're doing what is right for you. Look, there is no DOUBT you have to finish that education. It is the -right- course you have chosen...you're doing -very- well and we're very proud of you. If push comes to shove, we'll just have to take out a bank-loan and pay for those five months until you can apply for that 12-month final loan'

This too was my mother speaking.

'and we're very proud of you.'

I swear it's still ringing in my ears. I didn't know how to really speak. My voice was cracking every time I tried and they both said it was okay...over and over again. I told them I was sorry for being such a sap about it but I had panicked. I was scared because I thought my dreams were coming to an end.

'Don't worry. I think anyone would've panicked in that kind of situation. But you know what? You're strong of character and you're definitely a take-charge kind of person. You'll get through this, and we'll help.'

Again...my mother.

It was the first time in nearly eight years she gave me a compliment. I don't know if you have the power of imagination to comprehend what kind of impact it had on me. I don't have the words. For the first time in nearly eight years...she gave me a compliment. To me. She didn't say anything nice about me to someone else. She said it to -me-.

She gave me hope back.

I tried to thank them but my voice wouldn't work right.

'Don't worry about it. It's what we *should* do. What else are parents here for?'

For the first time in just as long...she admitted -to me-...to be my mother.

Not to anyone else. No hints, no ifs ands or buts...

I'm lost for words. I've had my dreams torn to shreds...and rebuilt in just a single day. I'm in a state of absolute shock...and joy...and I'm still crying. I don't know what to say or do.

I'll get there. I'll win. I'll get my degree and I'll do it with my parents backing me.

-Both- my parents...

You have no idea how much that means to me.
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the last post in your notifications. YEAHHHHH-HOOO Let the trumps sound and the bells ring forth. Congrats M'lady I'm happy to hear very good news. And you stay at it and you'll get it.

Throws confetity in the air and gives Aslaug friendly *hug*

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs filly*

Nothing like those "E" ticket rides sounds to me like you had about a years worth of ups and downs in one days time, all I can say is good luck and I'm happy that you're Mother seems to have come around.

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already talked to you by IM about this but *HUGS* you sounded like you needed another hug when I left *Another Hug* you already know that I hope everything works out for the best, especially with the guy.
James R. Lane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's late Saturday morning here in NE Florida, and it started out somewhat "blah".

Then I read about your roller-coaster Friday, and after the initial shock part-way through it, the much LARGER shock toward the end of the post simply put a GREAT spin on the rest of the day; hell, for the rest of the MONTH!

Congrats, Joan, on winning life's LOTTO--- It's been a nearly-lethal ride, but you've survived it, and it looks like you have your FAMILY back!

Life is GOOD---! Dancing

and
"Lifetimes"
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it happened.

I turned 30.

Strangely, it doesn't feel all that different from being 29...can you believe that?

I've enjoyed a quiet, peaceful day for myself, no big events of any kind. Largely, I admit...because there are no people around to celebrate with. It's not a big issue for me...I never was much of a carouser anyway, but I admit, it does make me think.

Today, I'm 30 years old and well on my way to a higher education. I have a budding writers-career thing going for me in my own small way, and I have built a life for myself through the most inconceivable load of horsesh*t the world can throw at a person (Sorry, Gabby, now stop kicking me!).

Yet...I have no real life friends. The people I know and care about, and who care about me...are internet aquaintances.

So let us do what I do best of all historical disciplines...and exercise some critical thinking on this. After all, birthdays are for reflection on one's life, too.

I say I have no real life friends. That begs a definition. What is 'real life' today? Does it mean I have to meet them a certain amount of times within a given period, to be a part of their 'real life'? Or is it enough that I know they live three blocks away and I can always reach them by MSN Messenger or by using my cellphone?

Does it mean I have to sit in the same room as them...for them to be 'real'? Do I have to take part in their parties? Where, despite most of them approaching thirty if they haven't already reached it, they still insist on imbibing a full bottle of Vodka or Rum...PER PERSON...in a single evening, just so they can pound their chests like some silverback Gorilla and claim to be oh-so-manly?

Does it mean I have to sit with three or four women in the same room, spreading gossip, grouching about how this-or-that person is really soooo stupid based on half information and supposition?

Where do we draw the line between what's 'real' and what's not?

Do I sit here...talking to Tigermark...or Silver Coyote...or Aramis Dagas...or Mike Regan...or Cirrel...or Jim Lane...or ANY of you for that matter, in the belief that you're all figments of my imagination or some computer generated personalities, without living flesh and blood behind?

Of course I don't think that way. When I talk to the people I know from Planetfurry or from whereever else I meet them, online...I know that they are real, alive people somewhere out there. With ups and downs...joys and sorrows...lives, jobs, probably families...

All the things that make up 'a person'. And your 'real lives' are just as real as mine. When I ask how you are doing, and you tell me of good or bad things happening in your lives, they become part of my life as well. Because you are part of my life.

Because I treasure you all, and what you have given me since I came here.

Because you all believed in me, when I didn't myself.

And for a dozen other reasons or more. You all became a part of my 'real life' to a greater or lesser extent.

By this definition...'real life' is a hollow expression because in a world such as ours, with the opportunities it presents us with for comunicating across vast distances...hell...people...I can sit here, in my living room, in Denmark, in front of my own little underpowered computer, and speak to people in Beijing, Johannesburg, New York, Toronto or anywhere else as if they were right across the table from me.

That is real life too.

And therefor...my life is both rich and full, today.

And I'm sure it will stay that way.
Asalis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: