Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Physics and other religious panderings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
BLITZ wrote:
ah making Planets habitable isn't my thing, making them unhaitable is my specialty Twisted Evil

There's a huge pile of C14 in Africa which when calculated, was a huge Uranuim238 pile during the Jerasask Period. Perhaps the Dinos were a lot smarter than we give'm credit for? Perhaps they were ther cause of their own destruction?

I can see "Dumb" Dinos moving Uranium Ore into a pile to make it heat up, but were never aware of the notion of critical mass...

But in the past discussion of partical beams and gravity wave bombs, how about a large tractor beam? I'm outlining (another) story, of planet core stealing aliens... Why Planet Cores? Thats the story. But what would be the ending result on the planet that was "cored?"

Remeber, if you follow alternative sciences, there is a section of desert in India, that if you take samples from, shows a neat layer of greenish heavy glass. kind of what was produced in 1945 in a specific US desert location. only issue with india? If you take geologists and paleontologists at face value (which I don't) then this happened around 500 BC.

And what of the "solar" bomb produced during the revolutionary war? I only call it that as the texts I have read said it harnessed the power of the sun... go ahead and explain that one!

Planet would look like a deflated baked apple I think.

SkunkFox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cored Planet.....hmm great Now I'm hungry! Anyway err....brb.....back *munching on an apple*

Goes into sci-fi theory mode you have been warned:

Anyway I might have an idea of what it would look like. If the Core of the planet was removed, then the couter crusts of the planet having a reduced gravity well could do one of two things. The first is it collapses in on itself in as little as a hundred years time, because without the core the plates would be the only thing with enough mass to fill the void there by pulling them in on itself. Or possiblity number two with the removal of the planets core the outer tectonic plates would break apart without the sustained gravity well neccessary to hold them together sending them out one after another into space, or forming a new orbital type altogether, i.e. mutli-world continets or a layered world with one plate above the other in an offset orbital path. A whole new egosystem could arise because of this creating new forms of life to develop on the differing gravity's of each world continet.

SkunkFox well shucks stick a labcoat on me an call me the professor!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfen_Furry wrote:
But in the past discussion of partical beams and gravity wave bombs, how about a large tractor beam? I'm outlining (another) story, of planet core stealing aliens... Why Planet Cores? Thats the story. But what would be the ending result on the planet that was "cored?"

Um... how can you get a planet's core out of it without breaking the cust open?

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teleport it! Or one like Centerpoint Station in the Corellian Trilogy of the Expanded Star Wars universe.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
Tygon wrote:
Fishburne wrote:
Tygon wrote:
Matter of definition. I definitely helped the evolution.

Anyway, How did we get from one extreme (doomsday weapons) to the other (Terraforming) ??? Smile

Who's to say one cannot be the other?

Nobody does and I know at least one case where one actually IS the other.

I don't know what you're thinking of, but the term "Genesis Wave" comes to my mind.

Cateagle

It also would come to my mind if I wouldn't have a certain dislike for Star Trek.

Okay, for everybody who wants to read the Sholan Alliance Series I recommend NOT to read on. It would spoil a bit of the fun bout it.

In the Sholan Alliance Series there is a terraforming device called the Matter Compiler. This is a HUGE swarm of nanites that are able to transform one matter into another. It's an incredible help with terraforming since it's able to chance the face of a planet distincly. However, it just as easy can be used to devastate a planet. You could even tell the nanites to kill specific lifeforms (where we again get to the point of 'selective superweapons')

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
teleport it! Or one like Centerpoint Station in the Corellian Trilogy of the Expanded Star Wars universe.

Yeah, but then I don't see any sense in a tractor beam.

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centerpoint was a huge tractor beam. It would lock onto a planet and the planet would shake itself apart and explode. Or maybe that was with stars.....I can't remember. It's been too long.

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note (and while Whiterabbit mentioned Star Wars) almost every weapon can be used for something peaceful.

Those who are familliar with the Jedi Academy Trilogy from the SW Universe may remember Qui Xux. She is an naive, innocent female who took part in creating the Empire's most powerful weapons. And she told herself that it weren't even weapons.

She figured the Death Star would be used to break up dead worlds to get to the recouces in the core and the World Devastators would be mobile, nonpolluting factories that mine asteroid fields and uninhabtable planets.

She even thought the Sun Crusher would be used to destroy planetless suns that are dangerous for interstellar travel.

Very naive but it prooves that almost every weapon can be used as a tool for something good. And vice versa.

Last edited by Tygon on Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
Centerpoint was a huge tractor beam. It would lock onto a planet and the planet would shake itself apart and explode. Or maybe that was with stars.....I can't remember. It's been too long.

It actually was the entire Corillia system that was the tractor beam and Centerpoint was the control station for it.

And it could make stars explode by sending a gavity pulse into it's core. I think I could also tear planets apart but if I remember correctly they never did that. It was however to slow to do that with starship unless they could make a surprise attack.

But the entire system's purpose was actually to move planets Through hyperspace into other star systems and bult inhabitable systems that way. A whole new level of terraforming.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Star Wars tech. New topic for your discussion Reply with quote

With the advent of laser scalpels, do you think it is possibleto make a lightsaber?

note please that it must function in a similar manner, not just as a beam of light, but actually be able to repel/deflect blows.

so, whaddaya think?

Fish

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars tech. New topic for your discussion Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:
With the advent of laser scalpels, do you think it is possibleto make a lightsaber?

note please that it must function in a similar manner, not just as a beam of light, but actually be able to repel/deflect blows.

so, whaddaya think?

Fish

I never bothered trying to find out how exaclty a lightsaber works so I really can't say.

Concolor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkunkFox wrote:

Goes into sci-fi theory mode you have been warned:

Anyway I might have an idea of what it would look like. If the Core of the planet was removed, then the couter crusts of the planet having a reduced gravity well could do one of two things.

Question One: How much of the core is removed?
Just the dense, solid mass at the center? That is less than 2% of the Earth's total mass, so I'm not sure why they'd bother.
Maybe the molten iron/nickel/sulfur/oxygen mass around that solid core? That part accounts for almost a third of the total. That would make sense, assuming the evil aliens had a good method for extracting the metals.
On the other hand, if they are after, as opposed to the base metals, the thorium and other radioactives in the mantle, then we have a very different scenario. The mantle comprises about half of the total mass of the planet. It might be easier for them, in that case, to conduct a planet-wide strip-mining operation.

SkunkFox wrote:

The first is it collapses in on itself in as little as a hundred years time, because without the core the plates would be the only thing with enough mass to fill the void there by pulling them in on itself.

Question Two: How is the core removed? Teleportation? A really big, really strong soda-straw-like tube stuck through the lithosphere to the molten parts? That would make a difference.
If the core is simply winkled out of place in one (very fell) swoop, the planet would self-destruct in a matter of minutes as the liquid mantle fell into the vacuum thus created. The relatively thin and brittle lithosphere, deprived of its underpinning, would disintegrate. You would shortly have a huge, glowing ball, somewhat smaller than the planet you started with, as the kinetic energy of all those billions and billions of tons of falling magma was released as heat at the center.
Nothing would survive.
Nothing.

If the molten interior is sucked out slowly, the planet's destruction would take somewhat longer. But certainly, when as little as five percent of the mass of the mantle was removed, the (again, very thin and brittle) lithosphere would buckle and give in thousands of places. World-wide, cataclysmic earthquakes would have destroyed civilization in short order.

SkunkFox wrote:

Or possiblity number two with the removal of the planet's core the outer tectonic plates would break apart without the sustained gravity well neccessary to hold them together sending them out one after another into space, or forming a new orbital type altogether, i.e. mutli-world continets or a layered world with one plate above the other in an offset orbital path. A whole new ecosystem could arise because of this creating new forms of life to develop on the differing gravity's of each world continet.

Nope. Sorry. Gravitational forces do NOT work that way. To get a continent-sized chunk of a planet to separate from the primary body, you would have to introduce one heck of a big burst of energy. Needless to say, that chunk of crust would not be habitable.

A secondary problem is that if you reduce the mass of our planet by even a third, it will no longer have a high enough gravity field to hold enough atmosphere to sustain life. That's a slower death, but just as sure. Not that it would be an issue. (See above)

In a nutshell? Our planet makes its way along the most tenuous razor's edge imaginable, in terms of ecology. If you change any of several thousand constants, even a little, life would no longer be possible on this little rock we call home.

SkunkFox wrote:

SkunkFox well shucks stick a labcoat on me an call me the professor![/color]

elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars tech. New topic for your discussion Reply with quote

Fishburne wrote:

so, whaddaya think?
Fish

*makes lightsaber sounds* veeeeeeeeooooooowwww woooooooooosh Very Happy

Sincerelly,
El Maxx!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
A. Einstein
BLITZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concolor wrote:
SkunkFox wrote:

Or possiblity number two with the removal of the planet's core the outer tectonic plates would break apart without the sustained gravity well neccessary to hold them together sending them out one after another into space, or forming a new orbital type altogether, i.e. mutli-world continets or a layered world with one plate above the other in an offset orbital path. A whole new ecosystem could arise because of this creating new forms of life to develop on the differing gravity's of each world continet.

Nope. Sorry. Gravitational forces do NOT work that way. To get a continent-sized chunk of a planet to separate from the primary body, you would have to introduce one heck of a big burst of energy. Needless to say, that chunk of crust would not be habitable.

A secondary problem is that if you reduce the mass of our planet by even a third, it will no longer have a high enough gravity field to hold enough atmosphere to sustain life. That's a slower death, but just as sure. Not that it would be an issue. (See above)

In a nutshell? Our planet makes its way along the most tenuous razor's edge imaginable, in terms of ecology. If you change any of several thousand constants, even a little, life would no longer be possible on this little rock we call home.

But just imagine if that was possible, wouldn't that be really cool, to see one continent floting of another. Wink
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLITZ wrote:
But just imagine if that was possible, wouldn't that be really cool, to see one continent floting of another. Wink

Welcome to Ringworld.

Or to set the way-back machine, Sherman...

Welcome to Mars, Flash Gordon!

There. Now I have gone and done it. Proved my uber-geekness with one simple sentence.

Fish, older than one may think...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> fishburne All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: