Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Physics and other religious panderings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLITZ wrote:
well humans can do it IN TIME, but I don't know why they would want to kill themselves.

Well, nanites can do more than kill. They are about the ultimate medical tool. Imagine, removing tumors or mending inner damage without having to open the body.

BLITZ wrote:
Besides what would power these Microscopic robots,

microscopic solar panels. Inside of the body they should be able to either link to the body's bioelectric or they use cold combustion to power themselves.

BLITZ wrote:
and they could be Shut down using a simple EMP. Wink

Okay, add electromagnetic shielding Smile

Not to mention that you need to know that the nanites are there first Smile

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
It gives me kind of an idea for another story, if some aspiring writer wishes to pick it up. I won't go into it on this thread though.

A story? A story that possibly involves the eradication of an entire civilization? Tell me more Smile

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It involves a war between furries and humans, with the furries winning a the end, of course. ^.^

Back in action!

Anyone who calls themselves normal is either a fascist or a liar.
BLITZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
BLITZ wrote:
well humans can do it IN TIME, but I don't know why they would want to kill themselves.

Well, nanites can do more than kill. They are about the ultimate medical tool. Imagine, removing tumors or mending inner damage without having to open the body.

BLITZ wrote:
Besides what would power these Microscopic robots,

microscopic solar panels. Inside of the body they should be able to either link to the body's bioelectric or they use cold combustion to power themselves.

BLITZ wrote:
and they could be Shut down using a simple EMP. Wink

Okay, add electromagnetic shielding Smile

Not to mention that you need to know that the nanites are there first Smile

Ya they kill of almost all the human and at the end they find out that they're not water proof, Ya that would be a pretty funny ending.

Now I don't think they'd be able to have electromagnectic shielding. remember the more protection you put on them the bigger they get, so if you add all this protection they won't be so microsopic any more huh.

But this would be a huge brake though for medical science, especially if they were dispossable.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLITZ wrote:
Ya they kill of almost all the human and at the end they find out that they're not water proof, Ya that would be a pretty funny ending.

Um, remember, these things are SUPPOSED to work in a human body and as you most likely know, a human body is to 75% nothing but water.

BLITZ wrote:
Now I don't think they'd be able to have electromagnectic shielding. remember the more protection you put on them the bigger they get, so if you add all this protection they won't be so microsopic any more huh.

Small robot, only small shielding neccessary.

Otherwise, set them to replicate until all humans are 'infected' and then strike all at one.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
It involves a war between furries and humans, with the furries winning a the end, of course. ^.^

That could be interesting.

BLITZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm just sputtering out sentence fragments, because I'm too stubern to say I'm wrong. O well just this once I'll concede to your infinite knowledge.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLITZ wrote:
well I'm just sputtering out sentence fragments, because I'm too stubern to say I'm wrong. O well just this once I'll concede to your infinite knowledge.

Hehe, sorry. I'm just defending an idea I like and have been lucky enough to know an answer to everything you threw in my direction Smile

No offense meant, really not Smile

Of course, to almost every weapon there is some defense. I think an EMP would indeed be the best way to fight nanites. The only problem there: The humans would damage their own electric systems.

whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that PF is back up, I say that we coordinate an emp strike on the ISP. They're evil.

Back in action!

Galadrion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Grin* I've seen one theoretical power source for intra-corpus nanites which would eliminate the need for electromagnetic shielding -- the longest part of the nanite (the keel, if you're using nautical terminology, which this paper did) is a power antenna, normally gathering energy from microvolt-level differences in bioelectricity. The added advantage of this system is that the antenna stays effectively "grounded", which should provide some protection against low- and moderate-level EMP effects. (High-level EMP effects really can't be protected against, since damage in those cases tends to more along the lines of combustion, rather than short-/open-circuiting...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that makes sense, using bioelectrical energy!

Way cool!

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ort Clouds and Memesis theories...

I have been thinking about this for a long time and I keep coming up with the same conclusion.

Implied Question would be- how would an evolutionary stagnated biosystem evolve to the next level? Dinosaurs have been around for a combined 175-million something years. Between the lines of the eras, though there was some exinctions, but well, lets take the case of- how did a T-Rex evolve into the larger Allursarus- with out a gradual steps. The Fossil records are incomplete, but according to theory- if extinctions do occur, then the process must start all over again.

Now- the theory I imposed, a modifed Memesis/Ort Cloud theory:
If the earth is pealted with meteors every 500M years (and we're way over due!) and destroying all life, then where's the fossil records showing the amoeba evolving to another version of a t-rex again? It does not exactly work that way. The majority of the meteors in space is ice, but even the metal and rocky stuff has been found with space-dna on/in them. That DNA- falling into the oceans of a primative world can alter its biosphere...

Life forms would be altered into newer life forms from the added dna... and the cycle repeats, creating new life which destroys the old. And so on...

It would be a slow process, but an enevitable one- entire speices killed off for newer ones through stellar dna manipulation. If within an intellengent race were to be faces with this demise, what would it think?

I often thought what the first Cro Magnium did to the last Neanderthal...?

For the Conspracy Theorist in all of us- what if there are UFO's chucking DNA laden meteors (stone and ice ones) from the Ort Cloud at the planet in an attempt to terrafrom the earth to their liking? Besides it being a long process in which they can wait- what does that mean for us?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
whiterabbit
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the Conspracy Theorist in all of us- what if there are UFO's chucking DNA laden meteors (stone and ice ones) from the Ort Cloud at the planet in an attempt to terrafrom the earth to their liking? Besides it being a long process in which they can wait- what does that mean for us?

Sure. It's called Tiberium and it was introduced first in the Command and Conquer storyline in 1995.

Back in action!

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiterabbit wrote:
Quote:

Sure. It's called Tiberium and it was introduced first in the Command and Conquer storyline in 1995.

I don't think C&C was the first time that theory came up. X-com: Terror from the Deep has a similar story and was released 1 or 2 years earlier.

Still I bet that such a thing was in sci-fi litrature much earlier.

Fishburne
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
whiterabbit wrote:
Quote:

I don't think C&C was the first time that theory came up. X-com: Terror from the Deep has a similar story and was released 1 or 2 years earlier.

Still I bet that such a thing was in sci-fi litrature much earlier.

Yeah, one of the most famous was 2001: A Space Oddesey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> fishburne All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: