Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many people write long hand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you write long hand?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 18

RunningCat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: How many people write long hand? Reply with quote

I was wondering if I am dying breed or if there are still others out there who also still write pen and papper.
Asalis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write that way from time to time, but since not that many can read my handwriting it's not something I dothat often. But it does make good practice. and sometimes the experience is well worth it.

We, dig, giant robots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

I hate the DMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Osfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing by hand is a very different experience. I keep a moleskine on me at all times and whenever an idea creeps up on me I jot it down. I almost never read from it, though; the simple act of writing shapes my thoughts and memories enough that the value of simply 'writing' is higher than the value of 'having written'.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do that anymore. I emptied the cache of my paw-writing abilities to become a bettery typist Wink

But seriously, when I write by paw very few people (excluding myself) can read it afterwards. Plus, I get cramps pretty quick. Writing on the computer is much, much more convinient and quicker too.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often write things out by hand first. 1) because the refresh rate on my computer has been set at normal which my eyes still catch the refresh and that flash has been messing up my eyes, speed up the refresh rate so now it dosent give me headaches as fast but it can still happen. 2) because I have no laptop so everything I do has to be done on my big computer at my desk in an uncomfortable chair.

It partialy depends on how much research I have to do for my writing, I resently wrote one thing that required so much research that I just did it all on the computer from start since I was nonstop online looking up things anyway. Buy most of the time I hand write it then type it up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nadan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aboslutely yes, I write out my stories by hand. I have found that writers block asaults me more frequently in front of the keyboard as compared to when I have a pen or pencil in hand. I also think that I write better stories by hand than in front of the keyboard. I think that's because I think more carefully before I write when I can't just hit 'delete'. I also think that the conversations between my characters flow more naturally when I write by hand.

However, I do all my editing differently. I write by hand, then type and print. I edit all my work based off of printed copies useing hilighters for incorrect verb tense and pencil or non-black ink pens for all other corrections.

I guess everyone has a system.

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Superlagg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I type mine out fully. When it comes for editing, I can edit it with ease. If I misspell something, Openoffice tells me so. If I want to remove or insert something between already typed things, I can do so easily. No need to transcribe; I have a printer. I back my things up with Gmail, so no fire can destroy my works. I like using a computer for writing rather then using paper and a pen(cil), and besides, my legibility is very bad. I have a good wpm rate, so speed isnt a problem. My memory is good enough that I can remember ideas for weeks then implement them in. Thusly, I like computer writing over longpaw writing.
RunningCat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the reasons I want to by a fire safe is to place all my orginal stories inside to keep them well safe. I have also thought of buying a safty depost box at a bank to keep REALY safe. I may do that once I finish THE END I will tie it all togther with some ribben.
beno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write by hand when I'm not at a PC, but type it when I get to one. I guess that counts.
JonaWolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I write longhand and sometimes I don't. My handwriting is nothing short of terrible and translating it into readable text borders on aggravating on some days.

Recently I've done more typing than scribbling but a lot of that depends on how much computer time I am able to scrape together. That hasn't been much over the last few weeks so I can see the pendulum swinging back towards pen and paper soon.

My Stories - LJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to but I kind of don’t have the patience I used to.
I had a friend whom first wrote a book then, by hand scribed it with authentic feather quill onto parchment, then had it hard bound to get it published. Shocked (Talk about devoted!)
I doubt even my publisher could turn him down. Mad
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wirte long hand for the first draft usualy that is because I'm out when an idea hits me and I'm running to catch it. I put it in the computer after getting home then do the grammar and spell checking on it.

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: