Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amat Victoria Curam
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Amat Victoria Curam Reply with quote

Well, people...tomorrow's the day where the first chapter goes up. I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll receive this tale.

At the same time, a glossary will be posted. By popular demand Razz Don't fret, though...the story should be quite readable without using it but it does explain certain Latin words that aren't commonly used in modern English. It'll be updated, chapter by chapter, but I'll only explain a word the first time it's used...so eventually, there will be chapters without words that need explaining.

Consider it bonus-material on the DVD Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaaaa New story, new story. Its story time screams my inner child runs around the forum waving and flapping its arms. DF shakes his head sorry about that folks he sorta got away from me give me a sec. Walks over to inner child carring a rather large roll off Duck tape. Sunddenly there is the sound of some one struggling and the soud of Duck tape being used. DF comes back carring a bundle wraped in Duck tape from head to foot. You know he's gonna be really disipointed when he wakes up in two days and finds out that were in Saltlake City, Utah.

Glad to hear that the start of the new story will be posted tomorrow. Who knows I might be able finagle away to where I can read it while I'm away. Good luck and best wishes. Well gotta go picks up taped up form of inner child and puts him in the back seat of the Dodge. DF climbs in behind the wheel starts the truck and drives off wave to all of his friends

See ya in 3 weeks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nosnibor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice beginning. Even before the story had really started, I could feel it was going to be a good story. Very Happy

No really, it was great fun recognizing the "cast" already (although I'll have to read Transitions again to look for more clues and spoilers for AVC). Several plot-lines are well underway and looking very promising... this is going to be great!
And, as far as I could see, no problem with the Latin either, because each important mysterious word gets explained directly within a few paragraphs (e.g. Venatii) or indirectly through context (ludus for example).
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting beginning. I can't help but feel that this will become another great story.

I'm wondering...
Is this supposed to be an actual story in Rome or the "script" of the film?
(Of course it won't be the actual script as they'd have to leave out a lot of scenes to keep the film at a reasonable length...)

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is that this is the story that the movie is based on. A good example would be the first 'Lord of the Rings' movie...it was 7 hours long before they started editing it. So this is probably going to be the unedited version of Amat Victoria Curam. Very Happy Why deprive the audience of any of the scenes? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

Interesting idea to make Manius an Iberian. But I have to wonder if that would give him Esteban's accent. Not that I'm complaining, mind, but I can't help wondering.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly couldn't think of anything better but in my experience, Mexicans and Spaniards tend to at least lean on that accent. It was the only idea I could really come up with at the time, even though present day spanish has little to do with the language spoken on the Iberian peninsula at the time of this story.

Just had to do something with Manius' accent since it's accepted fact that Esteban plays that part Very Happy
shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been able to read it yet. Hope to be able to by sometime later this week. I just have the time right now with my studies, certification, and all the trips to the hospital i've had to make lately. x_x

But i'm really looking forward to start reading it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nosnibor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manius the Iberian would probably speak a different accent than Esteban the Mexican. But then, he'd speak a different language, too (namely Latin), and being that realistic about it would be... impractical for most readers, I guess. So, as we are already reading a translation, "translating" the accent makes sense.

("Aliquando, Lucius Valerius... aliquando discindam pectorem tuum et lavabo iubam meam in sanguine cordis tui..." Nah. Doesn't even sound better. Esteban's accent is more fun.)
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoot, someone actually speaks latin.

I agree though, the translation works better with Esteban's accent. We know that's the one playing the part, after all Smile

Although I do think that latin version sounds good.
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish accents are as varied as english accents in the US.

You can recognize the region if not the country where someone comes from because of their accent.

Mainly spaniards, for me, they sound too educated, and the "S" sounds pretty much like a "Z".

Mexican spanish is.... funny just like Colombian spanish. Its great and inventinve slang.

I don't think there's actually people that speak latin for practical pourpuses, except scholars, or religius people. altho there are some dialects proper for some country folk in Spain, i really doubt latin is specifically one of the dialects. You'd be looking for something like Catalan or similar.

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is...they did not speak modern Spanish on the iberian peninsula around the time of Caligula.

However, I had to pick SOME place for Manius to come from, and he's got a Roman name. Ergo, he's got to come from a Roman province. Kartago Nova was conquered by the Romans during the punic wars (or more precisely, it was handed over as spoils of war) and that gave them a foothold on the Iberian peninsula, which was subsequently expanded into a sizable colony. The Roman legions owed the Iberians a lot, in fact, since the famous Gladius shortsword was an Iberian invention that the Romans simply took over.

It makes no sense debating if his accent is accurate for the time and place.

IT ISN'T.

Because Iberians did not speak any form or dialect of spanish at the time. However, Manius' accent is JUST as likely as any -other- accent. No one today knows how they'd have pronounced latin.

I hope that puts that debate to rest once and for all. Manius is Iberian. And considering that Manius is played by a certain maned wolf...I kinda have to stick to the accent.

That's really all there is to it.
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm.. sure, whatever makes you happy.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...bad timing on my part there. It wasn't aimed at you in particular, Maxx...I've just had a few people ask me over MSN the last few days what's up with the accent Very Happy

I was simply trying to explain once and for all why.
James R. Lane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the AVC first chapter.

This story is VERY well done!

It reads as well as any period piece I've ever seen, so much so that the reader sees the morphic characters as "normal" to the story, instead of as artificial constructs (an unfortunate fault of much anthro fiction).

Looking forward to the next chapter!

and
"Lifetimes"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: