Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amat Victoria Curam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, like the new avatar, Jim. Suits you. Hope you had a good time at MFM!

Tigermark (who likes Manius/Esteban's accent just fine, btw.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
James R. Lane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
Heh, like the new avatar, Jim. Suits you. Hope you had a good time at MFM!

Tigermark (who likes Manius/Esteban's accent just fine, btw.)

Yep, the accent is fine. Otherwise, like RL movie actors (who often have distinctive "native" accents that follow their careers) we might, in some situations, have a tough time knowing the actor under the theatrical makeup.

Had a good time at MFM, despite the storm-related and hotel-caused issues. Cirrel treated several of us to con badges, and I decided Groat's 1998 version (that I'd been using as an avatar) was ready for retirement. I just wish I was as "trim" as the new avatar suggests in RL--- *grin*

and
"Lifetimes"
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirrel showed me the con-badges before he went off. I was suitably impressed by all of them, to be honest.

Then again, it's Cirrel we're talking about here.

Anyway...I should probably lift a bit of the veil for why I wanted to keep Esteban's accent so pronounced in AVC too. I mean...yes, it's the story behind the movie but I COULD have simply written it without the accent and said something like 'this is the way it should have been if all things were completely perfect'.

However, I chose not to for one specific reason. Years ago, after the horrible, unmentionable, utterly dreadful Hollywood-production beginning with G, the name of which must never be uttered or terrible and unspeakable things will happen (such as me having an aneurism), I saw a South Park charicature on this...

The one thing that struck me as absolutely, completely -brilliant- was when the doors in the Colloseum opens after the speaker announces "Maximus and friends"...and out steps a South Park-version of a bearded Russel Crowe wearing a very un-gladiator-like set of equipment (identical to what he wore in the movie, mind you), saying in a HEAVILY aussie-accented voice...

"I'm a spahnierd by crikey!"

It took me days to stop laughing after I saw that.

When I set out to write this story, I -had- to do that little clip justice. Call it my demented mind's way of saying thank you for a bloody good laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm...hasn't anyone read chapter 2 yet? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:

Well, we're (I at least) waiting for you to announce it. Wink

Still setting the stage but a good read.

I'm wondering...
Since they talk about fights against animals, are there any in the film?

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'll have to read on, wontcha?

Nahh, this one I can lift the veil on. Yes, there will be animals in this film. However, they will be CG'd.

This is quite doable. Looking back at the horrible Hollywood misproduction, the terrible G-movie the name of which shall not be uttered unless I am paid obscene amounts of money and then only if I can get to slander it further, Russel Crowe fights off a couple of tigers at one point. Those beasts were mostly CG.
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe they could use the same CGed sequences and just coreograph the actors to match. That would save money on the CG production. Very Happy Razz
shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good first two chapters. I like the story already. ^_^

G movie? Uhmmm...Galidor? Gorphen? Oh! Gladia...*falls over from a phantom horse shoe* mew? x_x

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James R. Lane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:

Just spied it. Next stop, the easy chair and a nice, warm notebook 'puter to read it on... Wink

and
"Lifetimes"
Scarlet Blackpaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:

Yes I have. Both chapter one and two are very well done and I'm eagerly awaiting more. The glossary has also been most helpful since I rely never was very good at 'old' words.

Also, I was pointing a friend of mine to your stories and I realized something. How in the world do you actually pronounce Amat Victoria Curam? I think I know, but I don’t know where to look to see if I’m right or not.

Rodent42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had the time last night to sit down and read both chapters last night, very nice. And with all that latin in there it reminded me of my old .signature from back in the day, who want's to take a crack at translating this?

"Religiones antiquae et arma ridiculae non comparant cum bono telo eruptionis igneae latero te, puer." Hanno Solare

Have fun, and remember Vis Sis Mis!

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*giggles* That'd be Han Solo's words to Luke Skywalker after Luke tests his skill with a lightsaber for the first time.

"Ancient religions and hokey-pokey weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid..."

But it's a hard one to translate since Romans conceivably didn't know about blasters.

The fun thing is that 'Hanno' is the name of the Carthaginian general on Sicily during the opening stages of the First Punic War, where Rome broke several treaties of friendship by interfering in what was clearly Carthaginian internal affairs.

They sent troops across the straight of Messina to assist a city in rebellion against the Carthaginians.

Never thought about that before.
Rodent42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
*giggles* That'd be Han Solo's words to Luke Skywalker after Luke tests his skill with a lightsaber for the first time.

"Ancient religions and hokey-pokey weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid..."

But it's a hard one to translate since Romans conceivably didn't know about blasters.

The fun thing is that 'Hanno' is the name of the Carthaginian general on Sicily during the opening stages of the First Punic War, where Rome broke several treaties of friendship by interfering in what was clearly Carthaginian internal affairs.

They sent troops across the straight of Messina to assist a city in rebellion against the Carthaginians.

Never thought about that before.

Yes Filly, you got it in one! You would not belive how hard it was to come up with a description in latin for a blaster, as you can see it took 3 words in the correct order to convey the meaning. But it made my latin teacher laugh so hard. That and my pilgrims badge that says Vis Sis Mis, that one I always thought was funny too.

Jacobus the Rat

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 3 should be ready for you all to read. Hope you enjoy.
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made Fikrann aware of the graphics error in chapter 3. It's readable if you can live with that strange 'A' letter at the end of every line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: