Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should people make anthropomorphs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Opposed or for?
Yes, that would be cool.
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
Sign me up.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
No, that is wrong.
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
No, we were not meant to play god/that would be an abomination.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow talk about jumping the gun. I see no fighting going on at all, simply folks stating clear and simple this is what I beleive. By running around screaming 'fight fight' before there is even a fight will only encure a fight.

Let the sky fall before you scream in woe, Chicken Little!

Anyways back to our discussion that was prematurely interupted:

Tex obviously looked at it from a different angle than me. When I think of making anthros I think of scientist injecting and doing test on fetuses or making test tube babies since sceintist tend to like to start early like that. Now Tex looked at it like an adult making a personal decision. In that area I'd say, your body your choice, just take into consideration ALL the goods and bads of this decision cuz anything is much harder to reverse then to start. I mean there are folks now who have "whisker" peircings and tiger strip tattoos and split their tonges and do all sort of changes to look like their favorite animals and I would think that an adult choosing to become an anthro would just be a few steps up from what some are doing now.

An adult making a decision is fine and dandy, and if it becomes an option and someone I know does it I'd say 'all right thats your decission but do keep me updated on all the aspects of the new changes to your life, I'm quite interested as to how things turn out'. What I disagree with is forming someone from the beggining to be something else they would not normally be. Everyone should have the right to choose what they will or will not be.

And I call attention to the first part of my signature, if you have to go around screaming your point, and that goes for going around screaming about a non-existant fight, it only shows that you can not speak your case with facts which in turn only makes people think that its a good chance your point is false, think things through folks otherwise your only assuming. And really donkeys are welcome here but an ass is not...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>.> ok you did get me there... Yea I do think manupilating an undeveloped creature dew to the comlications of growing up diffrent strain heavly on a child... for example read Asalis's story "Kitten Caboodle"

now if the parrents were already anthros then I can see where embryo tweaking may help but untill that day I think we...
ok im just mixed feelings on now im yes and no so...

Yea we jumped the gun so to speak becouse sometimes you have to to stop the war. and its not yelling fight its saying keep it civial and yes it was starting to be a holy war within 4 post we have learned from past topics
and this is not the first this one came up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone would be for the man-made creation of anthros. If anthros are to exist it needs to be naturally. Like I said before, and a couple others have said, too, think what would happen to the poor creatures.

It's only been within the last hundred years that people were being hung and burned simply because they had darker skin than the majority. People still are constantly being beaten, burned, hanged, and otherwise brutally murdered because of their skin color or sexual orientation. We treat animals that have been around for thousands of years, and though they're worthy of nothing but death. A friend has offered to let me move in with them, however the area they live in does not allow Pitbulls, so I will be forced to leave my dog behind if I move. If I try to take her, they could destroy her simply because of her looks. F**k the fact she's never laid a claw or toothh on anything larger than a flea. She looks a certain way, so if I take her to certain states in this country, certain provinces in Canada, or entire countries in other parts of the world, she can be ripped from me and murdered simply because of her looks.

When humans can learn to live with the living creatures we already have on this planet, then maybe bringing new creatures to life can be vaguely considered. But as long as we're killing wild animals for being wild animals, killing dogs simply because they're a certain breed, or killing our own kind because of skin color or sexual orientation, there is no f**king way in this universe that anthros should even be remotely thought of.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
bonehead54321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well My take on this may be the cleanest one cuz I currently do not belive in any one god. (main reason why I can be quite insane at times n.n;;Wink But What if we could do the same changes without going into genetics and cloaning. But using your own mind. Yes I know I may have said this befor but ther are scientific studies showing that the mind if properly tuned can do some amazing things.

Anyway who knows. Having furries around may not be a bad thing. Sure at the start there will be some miffs but wasn't there the exact same problem now with black people (no offence) And the people with europe heritage thinking they are better than us all. Lucklay there is only a small amout of them.

If a furry race of beings was to start we would just have many of the same problems the ones on this planet already have. Luckaly it seems from my experience that us furs are quite good at working together. This is my veiw on things. Read it or dismiss it. But remember I have put ALOT of thought into this plus time and effort. And soon it shall all pay off.

I am not saying make new anthro's completely but just change us. The ones who already want to be like this. Wouldn't be the best thing in the world to go out fursuiting without a fursuit but with real fur? Shocked As I see it aslong as we don't do anything wrong. We will just be looked at funny for a small while and then it will pass.

You know my spelling sucks. You should also know that I dun care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not religious at all.. and I DO have my reasons.
Soo... I said go for it. It's about time that people learn to accept the fact
that everyone is different, unique. This will just add to the variety. And if
they are on the same level as your average, or above average human, then they deserve to have rights...
Do yourself a favor and lookup 'My flatmate Kathy' on the net...
What exactly is it to be human?

Leonato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Cirrel will forgive my quoting of his Novel:

Riders of the Mind, Chapter 8 wrote:
... Griffith's anger gave way to a sigh, and a look of great patience crossed his features. “Okay. I suppose I shouldn't have expected you to get it all in only a few hours. Let's put it this way. Phurs are intelligent, like humans, but they are NOT human.” Griffith emphatically pointed his finger toward the ground. “This is the only colony world that has thirteen different intelligent species trying to live together in harmony, and that’s what makes Wilderhom so important to us. The Phurs can show humans how to get along with other intelligent life!” Griffith’s face now took on an almost pleading look. “If we're going to survive in this universe, humans need relief from the burden of their own self-centeredness. We can’t avoid contacting other intelligent life forever. One of these days, the Trans-World ‘Avoid all contact’ policy will fail, and we’ll find ourselves in a universe populated by beings a lot stranger than the Phurs. If we can’t get along here, we fail out there. When you think about it, Wilderhom is the most important social experiment we humans have ever created. If we abandon this place because we can’t cope, you can kiss our universe goodbye. On the other hand, the Phurs will probably do quite well because they’ll have learned how to live with each other. The truth is, we need them a lot more than they need us.”
Griffith looked off into the distance. “Sometimes I wonder if that’s the reason why Kaustav Ekram created the Phurs in the first place.”

Is humanity as we know it today ready for such a social experiment... IMHO... NO. We arent anywhere near ready. Could we be ready within my lifetime? Perhapse, but I wont hold my breath. Society as we know it is heald together with duct tape and bailing wire (to use an expression). This world isnt stable, and I fear (as others) that it would take something cataclismic to unite humanity now. Now, as for the -why- of the combining of man and 'animal' (I hesitate to call such beings such a low name). There is much room for improvement amung humans, we could stand to gain many a benifit from looking in other genomes. We already have scientists mixing and matching compatable genes across species (mostly plants here, but you get my point). We have even begun to engineer single celled organisms to do specific tasks (someday hope to use them for chem. manufactruing, from different source material). Basically, make-your-own-bacteria/fungus etc, to make a target chem. from a source chem. Sooner or later, it will happen, science is pushing that way. Ohh, and on the religious side... my own beliefs are that God created creators, we just bear the responsibility for that which we create. In the single celled realm, this means that if we make a bacteria/virus that can kill a human in 10seconds flat, we bear the responsibility for bringing such an organism into existance. That is a responsibility that I'm afraid we aint up to yet, much less a whole being, much much much more than any single celled organism engineered for a single task. Though eventually, some scientist, somewhere, will start to work into the genetic and biological advantages to anthro. Further bluring the line of what is 'human', and how 'humanlike' a being must be to be granted 'rights'. Something we have a great problem with awarding, even to each other. Someday furs, someday, anthro will be a reality, if in a Wilderhom sorta way, or even not as a social experiment in the first place.

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First point we've already been modifiying creatures for thousands of year through selective breeding, which in a way is the first step to creating anything.

Let's look at the geneticly engineered creatures in well known Speculative Fiction classics, Rendevous With Rama, and Starship Troopers. In Rendevous With Rama there are engineered chimpanzees, who do the menial labor onboard starships, they react well to change in g-forces, and are smaller than humans and happy to do things thaty humans wouldn't want to do making them the perfect custodian (I work as a custodian, and trust me a trained monkey could do most of my daily work, except fot changing out lights). In Starship Troopers we have the Caleb, an genetically engineered canine, they were given increased intellegence and the ability to speak, though the speach was limited, they were basically created to be enhanced K-9 units. In both cases they were engineered with less than human intellegence and with a specific purpose in mind.

My point is this, if we create furs for the sake of creating furs, but with no specific use for them in mind, then we've done them as a specoes a disfavor. But if we could find away to re-engineer our own bodies into furs so that it is our own choice then sign me up for a wolf with tiger-sripes.

Superlagg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my story, the Anthro-Furs were made with no one general perpose, but instead many other different perposes, failing each one in the process, making them, in a way, a succeeded quilt of failure. By the way of Universal Nature, the Furs shouldnt even exist. Through the Universal Nature's subtle way of erasing faults, the Furs are genetically faulted, having each one being aflicted with hemophilia ,which their creators tried to keep in check with a very high rate of blood regeneration that did nothing but make them bleed like fountains, most of waht they are are still just a furry human with changed outside. They essentially were furry, animal reminiscent humans that nature hated, created by humans with too much money and no idea waht they were doing, making thousands of a medicre product that its sole purpose is to exist. But that was the first generation, a very very flawed product that struggled to exist. That was before they hijacked a very large spaceship and basically worked out alot of the flaws through many many generations, making them alot better.

This is probbably how us humans would make an anthropomorphic creature (Except for the last sentence), making something that nature would constantly try to get rid of. We would fail at making an initial Fur in a very sad way. Though, if enough were made (Thousands) and put into a massive humanless environment, Furs would over many generations improve into something halfway decent.

Orpheus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected that in creating this thread that it would turn to a religious showdown, but I'm glad that has recently subsided.

After reading everyone's (so far) thoughts I've formulated responses to all of them.
(Before I begin, let me make it perfectly clear that I do not believe in God, and personally hate him for he is not more then a storybook that teaches people to be weak, and give their money to pedophiles)

In response to Superlagg's initial post,
these were my initial thoughts when I created this topic, and have come to realize that there are very valid reasons why perhaps this should not be done (too soon)

Mike Regan,
this was what I thought every time I read a post claiming that we should not do God's will, more out of anger towards that person's ignorance.

Mewmew,
this initially made me very angry, but it would not be so bad. The human race is not as primal as you may think, there are people that are tolerant of others, they are called Canadians and I'm proud to be one of them. I also thought that we do not alter nature in an attempt to hurt it, we merely attempt to do things for, or to, eachother human beings, and nature happens to get in the way.

Superlagg's next response,
Quote:
people keep using him (God) as an excuse not to further science. If God didnt want us to do this, then he would make it impossible to do so.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Joshua Fox,
anthropomorphs would be like humans, with heightened capabilities. Increased agility, strength, and even age could assist with what people do. Besides the obvious things you think of when you hear this (bears becoming wrestlers, wolves becoming hockey players, that sort of thing) there are smaller more practical things. There could be, turtle people living to over 100 years easily, being able to become accpomplished scientists. Then there is the idea of the anthropomorphs working for government employment jobs, like firemen and law enforcement, using their increased capabilities to help mankind. The general idea is that they would be better at everything, which could further mankind. This also brings up the issue of the humanrace being jealous of the anthrorace and causing perhaps another war.

Mapper,
what you first said somewhat summarizes what I said in my previous paragraph, but the rest is somewhat off-topic. Yes, we know that the human race are a bunch of overdeveloped chimpanzees fighting to be the alpha male, dominant species of planet, attempting to dominate over eachother. Apologies if I sounded more offensive than I intended to be.

Shadu, and Henry_Hound,
well said. Perhaps mankind should wait before we attempt to play God any further.

Mike Regan,
Quote:
So part of the question should be not only can you do it but more importantly why.
This got me thinking, more than the rest of your post did. This could be one of the reasons why man does evil things. To prove ourselves.
The rest of your post I found very enlightening.

Nitch,
the first part of your post just reminded me of the entire concept of God. I'm trying to avoid bashing God, because everyone is entitled to their beliefs, and I accept that, no matter how poorly they may conflict and compare to mine.
The second part just reminded me that people may not be ready for anthropomorphic beings.

Henry_Hound,
thank you for strengthening my view, that God is an angry child playing chess with Satan. btw, Dave Mustaine was singing about Frankenstein, not God.

PrincessB,
I mean the same gratitude that I had just showed Henry_Hound. As for putting them in zoos, I wouldn't let them, by any means. The people are what gives power to the king, and the people don't all want to watch an intelligent being suffer.

taspacecampjh,
I'm very sick of hearing everyone's opinion's on God. I suppose I'm not helping that fact much in everything in this post before now.

Mike Regan,
thank you or enforcing rules. We may have free will, but without rules chaos would ensue.

Maxx's and taspacecampjh's next posts were ignored.

Scifer,
I pretty much ignored everything related to religion except this piece:
Quote:
There are some things that man and beast was not meant to know
if man or beast has the mental capacity to find it, learn it, study it, and explain it, then they has a right to know it. How to exploit it is entirely their decision. If it were originally intended to be a tool of mass destruction, then may his Lord have mercy on the fool who kills his cousins with it. I can still imagine that something like the plot from "Independence Day" happening, after a discussion with my father about how the universe is endless and we cannot be the only sentient beings in it. If we did encounter extraterrestrials, they may be like this, or they may be peaceful (I don't watch a lot of science fiction, so could someone give me an example of friendly aliens?).
Now it hurts me to say this, but what if introducing anthropomorphs into society, then society destroys itself upon this IS the cataclysmic event in which human beings will realize just how stupid racism is? I just sounded like bloody Asmodeus.

PrincessB,
now what you bring up incurs a lot of controversy. Yes, people deserve to have a choice, even *crosses out* especially unborn children. And the ends does not justify the means in any case, so by being able to create children in test tubes does not give the right to be able to bend them, mold them, and destroy them at your will. But I don't think mankind will ever be able to achieve the ability to create and clone effectively without being permitted to do that. Unless there is a way around it that I cannot see right now (I'm somewhat sleep deprived at the moment), there is no other way.

taspacecampjh,
now my impression would be that if someone, or a group of people funded this "project" to the point where it got successful, then nothing would stop them from receiving additional funding to raise them in a controlled environment. I hate to quote Pauly Shore, but I imagine it would be something somewhat similar to Bio-Dome, just less extreme, and far more secretive.

Mewmew,
by the time animals would evolve any intelligence, human beings are likely to have exterminated all of them. It's in human nature to destroy because we're omnivorous. People are well on their way to overcoming that, although it is still a long way off.
I also have two off topic things to say to you.
Are you by any chance a Taoist?
and, pitbulls are an untrustworthy breed of dog. They were bred for combat, and it is now intinctive. I once saw on discovery channel, a woman and her husband had a pitbull for one year, and then conceived a child. When the child was two years old, the father was at work, and the mother was sitting in the backyard, watching the child and dog play. She went inside to answer the phone and heard her son (it was a boy, btw) crying, very, very loudly. She ran outside, and the majority of the boy's face was missing, and the dog's face was caked in blood. The child was eventually proven to have not influenced the dog in anyway to cause the dog to attack him. Also, the child's face was disfigured enough that doctors had to take skin from the backs of his legs, his stomach, and various pieces of his arms to reconstruct his face. As you can imagine he never looked the same again. The dog was quite obviously put down.
I've also recently discovered that there are bans on owning pitbulls in certain areas/countries and the punishment is up to a $1000 fine and up to 1 year in prison.

bonehead54321,
I'm not too sure I follow you...are you suggesting that if we really believe we can, that we will grow fur, a tail, (I don't like this term) mutated ears, and a long muzzle?

Mike Regan,
I at first got confused by your post because you were continuing what Mewmew said but bonehead54321 beat you to it. You make a very valid point, also, thank you for saying that, so I don't have to make this post any longer than it already is.

Ryan Fox,
that's basically what I live my life on. But others may not be able to do so. Religion competes with eachother to gain more followers to gain more "donations" and....I'm gonna stop complaining about religion.

Mike Regan,
I somewhat stated purposes way up in this post.

Leonato,
you make a very good debate. You basically said what I've been trying to say in (some parts of) this post.

Sigurd Volsung,
I have went over everything I would say to your post, already.

Superlagg,
I wouldn't imagine that anthropomorphs would, or even could have more medical problems then humans would (well, possibly retaining disease that animals contain). Nature is not an entity, nature is the world as a whole, but human's have chosen to exclude themselves fom nature, believing they are above it. They then renamed what they had done: technology. If we did not rise above primalness that nature implies, we would have been long extinct from epidemics.

My personal opinion,
People are not ready to accept anthropomorphs into society
God is a character in a storybook
"That would be cool" is not a valid reason for wanting anthropomorphs to exist
People will either accept eachother, or destroy themselves
Mewmew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:

Mewmew,
this initially made me very angry, but it would not be so bad. The human race is not as primal as you may think, there are people that are tolerant of others, they are called Canadians and I'm proud to be one of them. I also thought that we do not alter nature in an attempt to hurt it, we merely attempt to do things for, or to, eachother human beings, and nature happens to get in the way.

We get in the way of nature more than it gets in our way. Humans are a disgusting species. We're behind canned hunts, the holocaust, racially based murders all over the world, nuclear weapons that have effects lasting long after the weapon goes off. General, mass genocide all over the world. As it is right now a government overseas is slaughtering innocent people to clear the "filthy blacks" out so the whites can move in. Humans are responsible for the extinction of countless species of plants, animals, and insects. Even now in our modern world where humans brag about being civilized, we are far from it. Even today people are shunned from the general public because of their skin color or their sexual preference, their religion or their intelligence. Even on the smallest levels humans are disgusting. Every day kids are verbally abused by their classmates in school just because they aren't the smartest or most attractive. I know I was victim of that, and I know of others who were, too.

I don't know if Canadians are tolerant or not. I only know a select few so I can't make a statement about the country as a whole. I only know that humans as a species are not fit for this earth. Humans do more to hurt each other than they do to help each other. We would do the same to anthros if they were ever brought to his earth in some shape or form. They would be used in horrid experiments, used as slaves, hunted for trophies, and lord knows what else.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mewmew wrote:
We get in the way of nature more than it gets in our way. Humans are a disgusting species. We're behind canned hunts, the holocaust, racially based murders all over the world, nuclear weapons that have effects lasting long after the weapon goes off. General, mass genocide all over the world. As it is right now a government overseas is slaughtering innocent people to clear the "filthy blacks" out so the whites can move in. Humans are responsible for the extinction of countless species of plants, animals, and insects. Even now in our modern world where humans brag about being civilized, we are far from it. Even today people are shunned from the general public because of their skin color or their sexual preference, their religion or their intelligence. Even on the smallest levels humans are disgusting. Every day kids are verbally abused by their classmates in school just because they aren't the smartest or most attractive. I know I was victim of that, and I know of others who were, too.

I don't know if Canadians are tolerant or not. I only know a select few so I can't make a statement about the country as a whole. I only know that humans as a species are not fit for this earth. Humans do more to hurt each other than they do to help each other. We would do the same to anthros if they were ever brought to his earth in some shape or form. They would be used in horrid experiments, used as slaves, hunted for trophies, and lord knows what else.

All this complaining about how us humans have destroyed the world and how we do nothing but kill each other and anything that gets in our way.
Have you done anything to change the things you complain about?
Becuase like it or not you are included in the human race.

Orpheus. Mustaine was talking about God. God=Dr. Frankenstien Humans=the monster. Howeve the point of my incluiding that in my post was not to contribute to the religious debate but to ask what would we be creating anthros for. To kill for us, Do our hard labor. Why would we be making anthros.
And I still stand by that God will not stop us from doing something God doesn't want us to do. We humans have free will and we always will. After all if God didn't give us that then you would have no ability to deny God's existance. You would have to believe in God.

taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I hate to use this as AMMO and I had been waiting to say it but....

If Michael Jackson is alloud to remove his nose and change skin color than we should be able to make anthros....

Gee was my head always burning like this? I smell somthing cookin. >.>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a shock:

I agree with what Tex just said. (Yes the major MJ fan is agreeing with an analagy that could be seen as a put down to MJ.)

Its what I was saying earlier, when I first thought of making anthros I though of scientist tampering with unknowing babies. I do not agree with that, never will, do not tamper with someone/something that dosen't know and has no way of making a choice to say no.
But if an adult says yes I want to have this procceedure done to my body then that is their informed decission and no one else has a right to tell them what they can and cannot do to their body.

The world spends billions of dollars a year on cosmetic surgery (face lifts, botox, lyposuction, etc) how is changing your body to look more like an animal any different?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:
Do yourself a favor and lookup 'My flatmate Kathy' on the net...

Excellent story: My Flatmate Kathy illustrates many of the problems an anthropomorphized race could have in a human society. The term "recom" is pretty cool as a slang word too.

I see several interrelated issues:

First, are we talking about transforming individual adult humans—say via cosmetic surgery? Or are we talking about creating a race of intelligent beings through genetic manipulation?

The issue of changing an individual through surgery is not terribly interesting to me. People do what people do. Other people laugh at them. Is it right or wrong? I suppose the real question is: Does it matter?

The issue of creating a new breed of life form through genetic manipulation is huge. That's the one I want to talk about.

Second, are we discussing "Should we?" or "Could we?" or even "Who would want to?" All are fascinating questions.

Should we?

Some have said that because mankind is not yet ready to accept another species as an equal, we should wait. News flash, mankind will never be ready. We have not been killing people in the last couple of centuries because of the color of their skin—we've been killing people for that reason, and less, ever since there have been people to kill. The proper question should be: should we do this, despite the fact that we're not a very tolerant creatures.

Actually, different species of animals kill each other—other than for food. For example Rattus norvegicus (the Norway rat) has been killing and taking over the territory of Rattus rattus (the black rat, roof rat, ship's rat, etc) for centuries. Bears and wolves will harass each other. Herbivores will vie for territory and feeding grounds. Heck, even plants do the same thing: black walnuts and sunflowers produce an herbicide that their own species is immune to.

Because many people have an "us versus them" mentality, I think that having an anthropomorphized race of animals would unite humanity. When "them" has pointy teeth, a muzzle, and a tail, differences between "us" such as skin color or hair kinkiness shrink to insignificance.

Leonato quoted from Cirrel's novel, Riders of the Mind. If anything, maybe we should create anthros just so we do learn to get along. But life will be difficult for the anthros (or for us, if they become more powerful). At least up until we make first contact with an alien race—then the "us" will be the Earthers. (Now there's an interesting idea for a story—after centuries of struggle, humans and anthros truly unite.)

There are many other issues with, "Should we?" but I'll leave them to others to debate.

Could we?

Probably not today. The genetic code is deeply intertwingled. For example there is not a single gene that controls whether hair or fur grows on a particular patch of skin. And one gene can affect several quite different body systems. But consider that the human genome has been rather thoroughly mapped, as well as the Rattus norvegicus (lab rat) and Mus musculus domesticus (lab mouse). If someone were to start today, guess which species would produce results the quickest and with the minimum cash outlay.

Do we start with human DNA then graft in animal genes or do we start with animal DNA and graft in human genes. I think that depends on what we're trying to accomplish... and the law of the land. Legally, it would be simpler to start with animal DNA. However, some project goals might make starting with human DNA far more desirable.

Generations later this will have a big impact with the question of crossbreeding between humans and anthros or between different anthro species. In other words are we creating (for example) a Homo sapiens lupus, or are we creating Canis lupus sapiens?

Blindly fiddling with genes brings up another "Should we?" issue: what do we do with the mistakes. Now if we're breeding a new strain of fancy guppies, if we don't like a batch we can just chuck them under the rose bushes. But if we're genetically manipulating a life form for intelligence (human or beyond) then should we just cull the mistakes? Suppose we get an individual whose intelligence is in the five-sigma class, but they might have skeletal deformities that make life painful. What do we tell someone smarter than us? "I'm sorry, we didn't have the mental capacity to have done a good job. You should die now so we can blindly continue our experiments."

Who would want to?

Now this is an interesting question, with many answers.

Would a big corporation do this? Their motive would be profit, which probably means breeding something they can use or sell. Sad Property. As a profit motive, very few species would be interesting as anthros. Several anthro stories use this as a premise of how the anthros in the story came to be.

Might a government somewhere do this (or commission a corporation to do it)? Besides the profit motive, given the right circumstances the reason could be more benign (from the anthros' point of view). For example NASA might want a breed of astronaut that is smaller, smarter, has faster reflexes, and better senses, than the standard human. Maybe even bred to get along better under stressful conditions that most humans would. I've read sci-fi where anthros were created specifically to help mankind explore other planets.

Would an eccentric individual or small group do this? Probably. Michael Jackson is crazy enough, but his focus is not on technology. If Howard Hughes were alive, he'd probably be working on "wingerized" anthro whatevers right now (or maybe just wingerized Jane Russell clones). A religious group might try something like this, one recently claimed to have cloned a human. Both Cirrel's story and the comic strip Freefall suggest that eccentric individuals were responsible for the creation of anthros. In my latest stories, I blame graduate students in a university lab.

Given a rational choice of species, probably anthro-wolves would be at the top of the list. They are one of the more intelligent nonhuman species, have finely tuned senses, and are capable of forming social bonds with others. So Florence Ambrose is highly likely. Rats too are highly social and an anthro-rat would probably get along very well with humans, but other than the convenience, rats are probably not the best choice. Although carnivores would make interesting companions as anthros, many carnivores are not social animals and the geneticist would have to breed their antisocial nature out of them as well as breed in the desired characteristics. Sadly: skunks, foxes, tigers, kangaroos, and even badgers are out—unless it's an eccentric individual who does this.

Conclusions

I think it's inevitable. I don't think you can stop it with laws; the work will just be done somewhere else.

If there are only a few anthro individuals, social pressure will be slight—as humankind will not feel very intimidated. I can see where Florence Ambrose might be the belle of society and on everyone's invite list—precisely because she's unique. On the other hand, if only 5% of the human population looks at someone like Florence and thinks, "Hot damn, she'd look great in my den, stuffed and mounted," then dear Flo could have some serious problems.

As the anthro population grows to 5% and higher of the total, then social pressure will grow against them. Humans will start to feel threatened with loss of jobs, the feeling that their neighborhoods are being "invaded", etc.

Scotty

Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an individual I'm open-minded enough to accept another humanoid
species, or several varieties. Though I'll hate seeing the exploitation of
these individuals just because they're some product/creation of some
corporate giant.

Here's an interesting article

more here
and even more here

Oh THIS particularly interesting
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: