Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should people make anthropomorphs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Opposed or for?
Yes, that would be cool.
40%
 40%  [ 14 ]
Sign me up.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
No, that is wrong.
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
No, we were not meant to play god/that would be an abomination.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

Orpheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Should people make anthropomorphs? Reply with quote

Do you think genetically creating anthropomorphs should be?
Superlagg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be and should be. Man can play god quite well, and should, as long as it is kept under controll. Sure, many people will object, but what can thay do? If they have the funding, they can do it. If it becomes illegal, they will do it in Canada, Europe, somewhere else. It will eventually be, but not for quite awhile.
Mewmew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F**k no. We can't tolerate members of our own species. Think what would happen to the poor creatures if they were ever allowed to wander outside as their own peoples? They would be slaughtered in no time flat just for being what they were. Humans need to stop altering nature. We've f**ked this planet up enough as it is, we don't need to keep making things worse.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Superlagg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
If you believe in God, some of the members on PF do not I know, then I think that God gave us a mind capable of learning and understanding how do do these things for a reason. To refuse to use God's gifts would actually be doing the work of the "other guy" down below.

I think we should but with care. I am sure that it will take quite a while to get it right just like any new tech.

So my answer would be yes but don't sign me up just yet.

I believe that there is a god, quite so actually, but people keep using him as an excuse not to further science. If god didnt want us to do this, then he would make it impossible to do so.

Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superlagg wrote:

I believe that there is a god, quite so actually, but people keep using him as an excuse not to further science. If god didnt want us to do this, then he would make it impossible to do so.

Eh, I've always considered that to be something of a cop-out. Somehow I have a very hard time believing that plague, war, famine and mass genocide were allowed to take place because it was "God's Will". As such the whole "if God didn't want me to do this, then he'd stop me" argument has never held much water with me.

I've always been a fan of scientific development, but I've also always urged caution in its application; not just because of moral and ethics problems, but because of the sheer fact that there's so bloody much we don't know about it.

As for the anthromorphs question, it just seems like a silly idea. I mean, seriously, what would the practical application be? What actual function would it serve?

Sparing the "oh-we-humans-are-so-terrible-we-should-all-die" crap I hear so often, the very concept just doesn't seem logical.

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely it would serve as an intelligent beast of burden or what ever task it was engineered for.
I'm all for R&D of things that would benefit all, but time and time again it is usually corrupted into more effeicent ways of ridding ourselves of our fellow man.

Av by GreyCat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shadu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say for now it is wrong. the way humanity acts right now towards each other proves we are not yet ready to del with something as important as a new race. i would not be surprised to see what some of the stories i've read show, you know, opression, racism, hate, and all those things. after we get our act togethe and realice the uslessness of those things then i'd be all for it.
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shadu, as much as I'd love to see and meet a real life anthro, the majoraty of the human race is not mature enough to handle it.
Nitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how people can come to the conclusion that "If God doesn't want us to do it he'd stop us." My belief is that God has allowed us all to make our own choices on this planet, but our choices have consequences. An interesting analogy I saw recently was this:

Dear God,
How can you allow all this violence to occur in our school system?
- Concerned

Dear Concerned,
I'm not allowed in schools.
- God

We can advance science all we possibly can, but what are the long term consequences? When the manhattan project produced the atomic bomb, did they think about the long term damage to the environment? Scientific progress is a double-edged sword: we can produce artificial heart implants and cure diseases, but we can also do things through science that have negative consequences as well. How would genetically producing an anthromorph be beneficial? I'm not really sure how it could be, so for that reason I'd be cautious.

Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the if god didn't want this he'd stop it coment.

http://www.pholph.com/index.php?Strip=74

God gave humans free will and therefore the ability to deny God's existance, destroy the world, and anything else Humans can do.

"I will give you life
You'll serve only me
And my will to kill
You will kill for me

All that I desire
All that I command
You are here for me
I'm your master"

Quted from Megadeth's My Creation as something to think about.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I want everyone here to line up in a straight line up against the wall. I will now take this gun and unlimited supply of bullets and will place the gun to each persons head in turn and pull the trigger if God dosen't want you to die then He'll stop me.

If you'll beleive that I've got this lovely golden bridge to sell you, just send me $500,000.00, so cheap!

The 'If God wants me to stop He'll make me' argument is nothing more then trying to justify bad moves. If you hide behind that thinking then obviously you have done something really bad in your life and you know its bad but are only trying to help yourself sleep better at night.

I'm not against it for the whole God aspect, people play God everyday, I cant get all indignant about every single one, I'd spend every moment of my life freaking about it, I do wonder though WHY? Just cuz it would be cool to see? Okay so we build the creature then put it in the zoo (u made me for this life? what the hell?) and parade everyone past it to poke and prod and stare and ohh and ahh over, now what? There would be too many people freaked by it for it to live amungst us in a normal life, you think blacks were thought to be abominations back in the day, they were stoned and hung back then and that was just a different shade of color of skin, then we bring this human animal mixture, with fur, tail, ears, etc. VERY few will ever welcome it. So are we then going to use it as our back hidden worker, they do all the work but never show them to your customers or friends cuz then you'd lose some of both. So we stick them in zoos? Well I'm sure the anthros will be thanking you buddy.
'You made me, created me, brought me to life only to shove me in a little cage at the zoo, where everyone walks past and stares at me making me feel like a circus freak, I can't even take a p*ss without a dozen eyes on me, all I can do is pace back and forth all day and eat, I've gained weight like theres no tomorrow so all I can do is roll around the cage hating my fat ugly self and now the zoo keepers are talking about putting me to sleep and getting a new one of me that might be more active so it atracts more visitors. Thank you wonderful scientist who made me and doomed me to a life of hell!...'

Just cuz it would be cool to see is not a good enough reason to create a living creature. I think it would be cool to see someone free fall for a mile or so then splat against the ground. Does that give me the right and go ahead to throw someone out of a plane or off a tall building? If so, then you won't mind if it is you I toss...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this thread has touched a nerve with me...
First off I would like to say that I always avoid religus discussions and thats what this has become more than the origional topic.
The Reason I avoid these topics is that I dont believe in a higher being.
With that said I would also like to mention dont try to convince me and yes I respect others opinions upon relegin except thouse that make you die for it.

My reson for saying hell yes for Anthros in RL is mostly selfish but with that aside and I will take a religise argument here.
If god dident want us to be able to change ourselves he wouldent have allowed us to be able to tweak our genes. Cmon ppl thats explisetly coverd in "Free Will" EVERYONE has the CHOICE to DO or DONT. Just like I can choose not to have a tetnis shot when I get injured but I do becouse I want to stay helthy. Just like yall can choose to flame me or support me or whatever and even not post. If I was given the choice to become an anthro even at the expence of life threating mob at the lab door. I will accept the treatment to become anthro.

And yes I am sorry but I am one who believed we evolved not created and we have the ability to evolve ourselves geneticle.

Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Mike! Very Happy
taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can already see that this thread has all the hallmarks of a religious hack'n'slash, so I'm with Mike. There's no point blowing each other up and trying to convert each other over this. We all need to accept that people sometimes wont see eye-to-eye.

I don't believe in God myself. I believe that there is some form of entity out there that had some initial control over the creation of the universe, then left a system of evolution to do the rest. There's no point trying to understand this sort of being, its reasons, or its intelligence. Such an entity is on a different level to us 3Dimensional creatures. Whether that level is above or below us, I cannot say. (Wouldn't want to wind up in hell, now would I? Razz )

Unlike a lot of people, I'm not afraid of what I can't explain or don't know. There are some things that man and beast was not meant to know (which is the reason I don't try and force my beliefs down other people's necks). Whether this knowledge is going to be explained in some way at the end of all this, I don't know either - but chances are it's going to be so simple we never would have thought of it. Wink But I do try and keep an open mind to what others have to say, just incase I've been hideously wrong. xD

As for anthromorphs, I think a LOT of careful thought should go into a project like that before the hand of man is allowed anywhere near it. 0o With such a large imagination comes a large abillity to create - and an equally large responsibillity over what you create.

At the moment, I think the society we live in is entirely the wrong place to bring up a new sentient species. The human race is divided enough as it is - even if it's just by regional accent, place of birth, or the colour of one's skin. Believe it or not - WE'RE ALL FROM THE SAME GODDAMN RACE!! 0o

But imagine what it would be like if an actual new race of people were introduced? How would they react to living in such a divided world? Would they divide into groups themselves? Or would they isolate themselves from the human race to the point where mankind gets a bit too paranoid? Who'd drop the bombs first? I'm betting on America. j/k :3

Perhaps one day, in the not-too-distant future, when something cataclismic has happened, and given mankind the slap in the face it deserves - we might ... just might be friends. All of us. But the responsibillity we hold will still be there. Only this time, it will be genuinely possible to live in harmony.

*Deep inhalation*
*Deep exhalation*
*Collapse on the table*

Last edited by Scifer on Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: