Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What console do you plan on getting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Console?
Revolution
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
XBox 360
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Playstation 3
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Probably will settle for a Nintendo DS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Probably will get a PSP instead a new console
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Undecided/Will wait a while
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Scifer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be getting a revolution some time in the future. But not right on it's release. I had to contain myself before the GC could richochet through my surroundsound theatre system. I noticed that over the next few months, the console prices started dropping like mad, trying to outsell each other.

I waited for about 2 months until I couldn't hold my urge to game any longer, sold my good ol' N64 and managed to buy a Cube for 3 quarters of the price. But it only cost me half, because of the money made from my 64. :3

As for Microsoft's latest offering, I wouldn't touch that with a 49-and-a-half foot barge pole. When my friend first invited me 'round to play Halo, he booted up his X-Box, we got as far as the main title screen ... and it froze. I couldn't stop laughing. XD I hope Microsoft has inproved that aspect of their gaming platforms atleast. Wink

PS3? ... hmm ... not sure. I was quite tempted for a while to get a PS2, but then the huge price and lack of MASSIVELY good games put me off. If sony's next attempt has anything that makes me drool on it's release, there's going to be two pairs of console shoes underneath my TV. Razz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melina wrote:
What a Sony activist..

Me? Oh no. If I was I would have a PSP by now but I don't. I got a DS. So I'm not really Anti-Nintendo either. I just think they made some really stupid decisions in the last decade.

Melina wrote:
Nintendo is trying their best to please the consumers. No one acknowledges all the great things Nintendo has done for the gaming industry. Don't any of you know that it was Nintendo that translated Final Fantasy so Squaresoft could start a serious market in the US?

It's a matter of opinion that that was a good thing to do. I personally don't like the Final Fantasy games. Too long for my tastes.

Melina wrote:
I'd rather choose a tyrant over a thief, however, seeing as Sony ripped off the main blueprints of the original Playstation so they could make their own console.

Excuse me? Nintendo joined with Sony to produce a CD-Rom for the SNES like Sega's Genesis had. After it was almost done Nintendo CANCELLED the contract with Sony and almost drove them into bankruptcy with that. If they hadn't turned that CD Unit into the Playstation we know today there would be no more Sony.

And to explain my point to of view on the Gaming Industry, I am neutra towards Sony, slightly negative towards Nintendo (mainly because of the stupid stuff they did as I said above) and positive towards Microsoft's Xbox, but mainly just because no-one else is.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scifer wrote:
As for Microsoft's latest offering, I wouldn't touch that with a 49-and-a-half foot barge pole. When my friend first invited me 'round to play Halo, he booted up his X-Box, we got as far as the main title screen ... and it froze. I couldn't stop laughing. XD I hope Microsoft has inproved that aspect of their gaming platforms atleast. Wink

My Xbox never ever gave me a single error message. I can't say that about either the PS2, PS1 or the SNES.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
anthony wrote:
Of course they've done something horrible...
They made Windows!
(I have to support that crap all day, so...)

That is hardly a reason. Have you tried any XBox games at all?

No, I haven't tried any, but those I've seen demonstrated in the shops doesn't really impress me.
Sure, there are big explosions, realistic sound and fast cars, but I don't care about that. all I want out of a game is playability...

Quote:

Otherwise, make a better OS that can do the same as Windows.

Don't have to, there's lots of hem out there...
Back in the olden days, Deskview multitasked my DOS apps, OS/2 runs stably on my Tower while I play games, and I hear OsX is quite good, too.
(Still waiting for my iBook to arrive)

Quote:

Then you can all Microsoft names all you want. Until then I will keep asking you why you do it.

As I have to support their software, I have run afoul of just about every flaw they've ever made. I'd say that's reason enough...

Quote:

anthony wrote:
The reason I call it the Xcrate, is of course that it's HUGE! Much bigger than it needs to be. (It's also ugly as sin)

So? At least you can't rip it out of the shelf by accident (or could. the ingenious controller cable prevented that in the first place. At least it could stand some damage. And thinking of it as ugly is a matter of taste. I think the NES looked much worse.

Yes, the NES was never a contender for the 'miss TV-console pageant', I'll admit that...
I tend to trip over cables all the time, but I have yet to pull any of my consoles off the shelf, yet.

You're certain it's just not a badly made connector, advertised as a feature? Smile

Quote:

Nintendo is trying the same with the Game Boy Micro now. I can't quite see that one take off though.

If the screen is better than on the GBA, then I see a market for it.
(THAT doesn't take much doing...)

Quote:

This might interest you, Anthony. It's a list Gamespy made of the top 10 paw-helds that never made it.

Interesting list.
Got a mail today, the Neo Geo Pocket is on its way...

Quote:

anthony wrote:
The PlayStation Puny ('Puny' probably(c) Sluggy Freelance) looks nice, but... it's bigger than the Nintendo DS and tries to be a lot of things, so it's still to early to say how well it will do.
(I'll probably buy one later, when they've dropped sufficiently in price)

The PlayStation PORTABLE isn't really bigger than the DS. It's a bit wider and higher but distinctly slimmer.

Not bigger?
And they still try to display movies and webpages on it?

The use of UMD disks probably wasn't the best idea, either...
(Most people who use Pawheld game console expects an almost instant start)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Quote:
That is hardly a reason. Have you tried any XBox games at all?

No, I haven't tried any, but those I've seen demonstrated in the shops doesn't really impress me.
Sure, there are big explosions, realistic sound and fast cars, but I don't care about that. all I want out of a game is playability...

Halo II is very playable. So is Crimson Skies (though I admit that I find the prequel on the PC to be a better game because it goes more in the simulation direction than acarde). I point out these two because they are Xbox exclusive games. There arre loads of other great games for the Xbox but many of them you can get on other consoles as well.

anthony wrote:
Quote:

Otherwise, make a better OS that can do the same as Windows.

Don't have to, there's lots of hem out there...
Back in the olden days, Deskview multitasked my DOS apps, OS/2 runs stably on my Tower while I play games,

And I won't mind any of the guys who made them calling Microsoft names.

anthony wrote:
and I hear OsX is quite good, too.
(Still waiting for my iBook to arrive)

It is, I freely admit that. After all, I am writing this on a PowerBook.

As I said before, I am pro-Microsoft because nobody else around here is.

anthony wrote:
Quote:
So? At least you can't rip it out of the shelf by accident (or could. the ingenious controller cable prevented that in the first place. At least it could stand some damage. And thinking of it as ugly is a matter of taste. I think the NES looked much worse.

Yes, the NES was never a contender for the 'miss TV-console pageant', I'll admit that...
I tend to trip over cables all the time, but I have yet to pull any of my consoles off the shelf, yet.

Lucky you. So far every console in this house except for my Xbox has had a high-speed date with the floor.

anthony wrote:
You're certain it's just not a badly made connector, advertised as a feature? Smile

Yes, quite sure. Why would the put a connector in to the cable itself otherwise. You can say what you want about the first Xbox controller being too big (it is still smaller than the Dreamcast Controller) I think it still is the best one made so far. The cable alone puts it above the rest.

anthony wrote:
Quote:

Nintendo is trying the same with the Game Boy Micro now. I can't quite see that one take off though.

If the screen is better than on the GBA, then I see a market for it.
(THAT doesn't take much doing...)

The screen might be of a better quality but it is smaller. Barely as big as the original Game Boy's screen. AND Nintendo wants us to pay 100 bucks for it. Why would anyone buy that if for 30 bucks more you can get a DS?

anthony wrote:
Quote:

This might interest you, Anthony. It's a list Gamespy made of the top 10 paw-helds that never made it.

Interesting list.
Got a mail today, the Neo Geo Pocket is on its way...

Hope you'll have fun with it. As I said, no non-Nintendo pawheld aside the GameGear ever made it to Germany so I never got to try any of them and I don't really plan to either.

anthony wrote:
Quote:

The PlayStation PORTABLE isn't really bigger than the DS. It's a bit wider and higher but distinctly slimmer.

Not bigger?
And they still try to display movies and webpages on it?

The screen IS bigger than the DS's screen and has a better resolution. I only got a brief look at it so I have no idea how watchin a movie would work out on it but that's not really an option for me anyway. Movies are expensive enough to get on DVD as they are, I don't need to pay again just to be able to watch it while I am walking around.

anthony wrote:
The use of UMD disks probably wasn't the best idea, either...
(Most people who use Pawheld game console expects an almost instant start)

Can't really say much on that topic because I don't know enough about UMDs. I guess like CDs they are cheaper to produce than the cartridges the DS uses. I'd be worried about the game suddenly skipping because of bumps on the street though.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, you know, I suddenly realised what user-friendly means...

Today my 12" G4 iBook arrived, and five minutes after unpacking it, I had logged into my web-mail client and responding to a message...

Now it's playing a Ray Charles compilation CD in iTunes(and converting and downloading to an iPod)...

Manual?
Yeah, should probably open that soon...

Anyway...

Consoles...

If you ever happen to end up in Norway, give me a holler, and maybe I'll let you try a few of my consoles...
(Don't ask me to bring them to you, though, as my Berlingo only has 3m³ of cargo space)

Controllers...
Yes, the DC controller is a bit on the large side, but I find it OK.
Incidentally, have you ever seen BillG pictured with a game controller in his hands?
The large holes in it looks just like the slots for VMU and Rumble pack for the DC controller. (I believe the DC runs WinCE, and if so, is one of very few machines which did so stably. Pity about the name of the OS, though. doesn't anyone in Redmond have a dictionary? Smile )

The GC controller is smaller, but fits just right in my hands, and the WaveBird even more so. (It has a decent range, and 16 channels, too)
Any GC-gamer who doesn't use a WB isn't a ral gamer.
The only controller I have and dislike is the PS controller. The handgrips are just too small, and the shoulder-buttons feels awkward to me.

Of course, taste differs, though.

I heard that you won't be able to use old controllers or memory cards on the new PS3. A pity for those who have expensive third-party controllers and large memory cards, but probably won't deter a real hardcore PS gamer.
(I know that the PS - PS2 compatibility was only partial, in that you could only use the old memory cards with old games and such, but going cold turkey like that...)

Oh, and I will probably buy a GameBoy micro when it drops in price as I have a lot of GBA games, the GBA screen is awful, and the DS is a bit of a pawful sometimes...
(The only thing worse than the GBA screen is the assorted 'lights' you could attach to it, and usually power through the link socket)

Another thing, that Nintendo has, but that Sony has no metion of at all, is the possibility of using the handheld console as controller or expansion for the large console.
In fact, the only other manufacturer who did anything like that was Sega with the VMU(Visula Memory Unit, like a micro GB, but without cartridge slot) for the DC and even they only used it for a few games.

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Sharc_Vulpus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably get a PS3 because FF12 is coming out on it. yes I know a whole system for one game... but see this is before I pitch my idea to square about how insted of showing us a little trailer of what FFVII would look like on the PS3 .... they should make it ... if they pushed back FF12 to redo FF7 for teh PS3 I would buythe PS3 just for that game. *loves final Fantasy 7 has played them all still his favorite*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im mostly a die hard sony fan so a PS3 for me ^ ^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mewmew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Scifer wrote:

My Xbox never ever gave me a single error message. I can't say that about either the PS2, PS1 or the SNES.

What problems did you have with your SNES? I still have never had a problem with mine. The only problems I've ever had, is sometimes I need to clean a game before I play it, if I'm playing an older machine.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Solis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Which one will I get?

Easy.

None.

Is not a gamer.

I *am* a gamer and I'm doing the same thing... can't stand half the drek they put out for consoles, now.

Plus, I'm a student... I'm destitute Razz

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Gosh, you know, I suddenly realised what user-friendly means...

Today my 12" G4 iBook arrived, and five minutes after unpacking it, I had logged into my web-mail client and responding to a message...

Now it's playing a Ray Charles compilation CD in iTunes(and converting and downloading to an iPod)...

Manual?
Yeah, should probably open that soon...

Hehe, I know how you feel. It's like, you turn it on and everything works. Even Leonato was impressed. I myself was thrilled. It logs into web access without any configuration required most time.

anthony wrote:
If you ever happen to end up in Norway, give me a holler, and maybe I'll let you try a few of my consoles...
(Don't ask me to bring them to you, though, as my Berlingo only has 3m³ of cargo space)

Hehe, it's unlikely that I will ever go to Norway (not that I don't want to but I can't afford it) but thanks for the offer anyway.

anthony wrote:
Controllers...
Yes, the DC controller is a bit on the large side, but I find it OK.
Incidentally, have you ever seen BillG pictured with a game controller in his hands?

No, he doesn't strike me as a gamer. Anyway, I thought the DC controller to be really silly, not because of the size but because the cable came out of the bottom, what took a good 30 centimers (1 foot) off it's length.

anthony wrote:
The large holes in it looks just like the slots for VMU and Rumble pack for the DC controller.

Those are for memory cards, which not many people use size the Xbox comes with a HD. I think you also hook the headset up in them but I am not sure. Don't have one myself.

anthony wrote:
The GC controller is smaller, but fits just right in my hands, and the WaveBird even more so. (It has a decent range, and 16 channels, too)
Any GC-gamer who doesn't use a WB isn't a ral gamer.

I got two of those yesterday, mostly just because they cost the same as the normal controllers

anthony wrote:
The only controller I have and dislike is the PS controller. The handgrips are just too small, and the shoulder-buttons feels awkward to me.

Of course, taste differs, though.

Definitely. Most people I know think of the PS controller as the best thing since sliced bread. The same people don't like the Xbox controllers and hate the GC controllers.

I myself, I can handle all of them. The PS controller lacks in the shoulder buttons. On the Xbox and GC controllers they can move enough to actually allow you to make use of the fact that they are analog. The GC controllers looks kinda weird in shape as well as placements of the buttons and that funny second analog stick. It works though, once you get used to it. On the Xbox controller the only problem I see is that the Black and White buttons are places kinda akwardly but it's not too bad. As I said before, it has the best cable of all of them.

anthony wrote:
I heard that you won't be able to use old controllers or memory cards on the new PS3. A pity for those who have expensive third-party controllers and large memory cards, but probably won't deter a real hardcore PS gamer.

Maybe the new controllers have new functions that you need for the new games.

anthony wrote:
Another thing, that Nintendo has, but that Sony has no metion of at all, is the possibility of using the handheld console as controller or expansion for the large console.

Yes, I have heard about that too. Kinda nice idea. They would have to use it as a possible controller, not the default one. Would you pay $150+ for a controller, of which you probably need up to four? I thought not.

anthony wrote:
In fact, the only other manufacturer who did anything like that was Sega with the VMU(Visula Memory Unit, like a micro GB, but without cartridge slot) for the DC and even they only used it for a few games.

The VMU was a kinda nice idea but little more than a gimmic. The only thing I ever saw it do was showing a (bad) view through the scope in that sniper game they had on the DC.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mewmew wrote:
What problems did you have with your SNES? I still have never had a problem with mine. The only problems I've ever had, is sometimes I need to clean a game before I play it, if I'm playing an older machine.

There were a few games who made it freeze up or even crash now and then, chief among these 'Secret of Mana'.

Mewmew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Mewmew wrote:

There were a few games who made it freeze up or even crash now and then, chief among these 'Secret of Mana'.

Must just be you. I have Secret of Mana and I've never had any problems with the game not working or with it freezing. The only thing I don't like about it is the idiots that follow you around like to get themselves stuck at obsticles so you have to go back for the morons.

Though, I DID have issues with FF7 freezing on me when I played it last. I finally, after owning it for 6 or 7 years, decided to try and actually BEAT the damn thing, and had the screen go black on me when I changed equipment around while in the final dungeon. O_o I have no idea why it did that, but it did. Haven't tried playing it again since then.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Melina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... looks like I've suffered quite a blow. I expected this forum to be all for Sony or all for Microsoft like most could be, but I was wrong. All of you have something good to say about all the companies, it seems. Though I will play some Playstation 2 games, I don't prefer the console due to it's price and Sony itself doesn't release many good games. (Though Parrapa the Rapper was kind of a catchy game) I myself will support Nintendo all the way whenever I feel it's getting an injustice. Heh.. anyway, Revolution will be for me..
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:

anthony wrote:

Yes, I have heard about that too. Kinda nice idea. They would have to use it as a possible controller, not the default one. Would you pay $150+ for a controller, of which you probably need up to four? I thought not.

Well, if you want to play FF Crystal Chronicles, you NEED to use GBAs as the game needs the LCD to display each user's menus during combat.

In single-player mode, you attach the GBA to the second port and get extra information like maps on it.

The same happens in Zelda: the WindWaker.

Quote:

anthony wrote:

The VMU was a kinda nice idea but little more than a gimmic. The only thing I ever saw it do was showing a (bad) view through the scope in that sniper game they had on the DC.

You should try Skies of Arkadia sometime...

There they have a decent minigame to download and which will actually help you to get extra items and gold...

Like my Avatar?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: