Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What console do you plan on getting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Console?
Revolution
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
XBox 360
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Playstation 3
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Probably will settle for a Nintendo DS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Probably will get a PSP instead a new console
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Undecided/Will wait a while
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Sigurd Volsung

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get the PS3 since the two main companies I buy games from (Insomniac, and Naughty Dog), only put there stuff out for Sony.
Mewmew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a none option, too. I can't afford to get any of them, and they need to stop making new consoles every 2 years, anyway. My Gamecube is still in perfect working order, and already they're making a new Nintendo one? They need to stick with what they've got for now. Though, my NES is still in perfect working order, too.

If I get anything, I may get a Playstation 2 at some point. I've seen a few games I want to play for that one, but I have enough consoles as it is. Even if I could afford it I don't think I'd buy any of the new crap.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Mewmew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Hound wrote:
A but cartridges have their advantages as well, on some games built in memory, no memory cards that get lost or stepped on. Pluss in my experiance not as easily damaged as games on compact disk.

I agree. I was a bit pissed when Gamecube went disc, after Nintendo swore up and down they would never go that route but would make cartridges better and better. I still like my Gamecube just fine. Been playing Animal Crossing. XD But, I so prefer cartridges. They're much harder to lose or damage than a CD. One careless act and a CD can be crushed to bits before you even realize you've stepped on it/sat on it/put something heavy on it. Cartridges are easier to see, which makes them harder to squish. Plus they can't be scratched unless you're TRYING to destroy them. I bought a Playstation game, used. Bought it when I was still dating Packard, and bought it while visiting him. Took the game home, tried it out, and it didn't work at all. It was scratched. If the game had been a cartridge game, that wouldn't have been an issue.

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I'm satisfide with my Xbox, PS2, and GC. I mostly game on the PC Everquest 2 takes up all my gaming effort lately but every now and then they come up with a console game that grabs me the last one was Revenge of the Sith for the PS2, the game was kind of short though I finished it in about 14 hours of playtime.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Microsoft must really have done something horrible to you, Anthony that you can't even spell their name or the name of their product properly anymore. Any why do I never hear anything from you about the tyrannic things Nintendo has done in the late 80s and early 90s when they dominated the video game market like Microsoft does with the PC market now?

Of course they've done something horrible...
They made Windows!
(I have to support that crap all day, so...)

I wasn't into the cosole scene up until a few years ago when I bought a second-paw N64 on an online auction, so I don't know much about how Nintendo dominated the market.

The reason I call it the Xcrate, is of course that it's HUGE! Much bigger than it needs to be. (It's also ugly as sin)

I have a PS2, which is an OK system, but...
I just can't understand why they made the latest edition?
(No place for a HDD means certain games, like FF something, won't run on it)

Some may talk about Nintendo's market dominance in the paw-held market, too, but...
Have they ever tried the competition?
I have the Sega GameGear and the Atary Lynx(both the first and the II model) and... let's just say that they won't fit in ANY pocket.
Sure, they had colour screens, but... the 12V fluorescent backlight just ATE batteries. Nintendo gave the users exactly what they needed; a pocketable game machine that ran forever on a set of batteries.
In fact, the only handheld ever that could have competed is the Bandai wonderswan, and for one reason or another Bandai has never introduced it to other markets. I understand it is reasonably successful in Japan. (I have a couple of those, too, but as all the games are in Japanese only... )

Yes, there's the Neo something, but... I don't have that one, so don't have anything to say about it. The PlayStation Puny ('Puny' probably(c) Sluggy Freelance) looks nice, but... it's bigger than the Nintendo DS and tries to be a lot of things, so it's still to early to say how well it will do.
(I'll probably buy one later, when they've dropped sufficiently in price)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Of course they've done something horrible...
They made Windows!
(I have to support that crap all day, so...)

That is hardly a reason. Have you tried any XBox games at all?

Otherwise, make a better OS that can do the same as Windows. Then you can all Microsoft names all you want. Until then I will keep asking you why you do it.

anthony wrote:
I wasn't into the cosole scene up until a few years ago when I bought a second-paw N64 on an online auction, so I don't know much about how Nintendo dominated the market.

Well, they had that security chip to stop any pirating which they demanded to be installed in the cartridges. In essence that allowed Nintendo no only to control what was in the games for the NES. But 'Big N' didn't stop there. The forced all sorts of restrictions on the game developers like how many copies of the game they could make and that the game could not be published on any other system than the NES, not to mention dictating how much the game would cost. They did plain price fixing. Eventually the US Surpreme Court stepped in even though Nintendo's 'punishment' was nothing short of rediculous

anthony wrote:
The reason I call it the Xcrate, is of course that it's HUGE! Much bigger than it needs to be. (It's also ugly as sin)

So? At least you can't rip it out of the shelf by accident (or could. the ingenious controller cable prevented that in the first place. At least it could stand some damage. And thinking of it as ugly is a matter of taste. I think the NES looked much worse.

anthony wrote:
I have a PS2, which is an OK system, but...
I just can't understand why they made the latest edition?
(No place for a HDD means certain games, like FF something, won't run on it)

Simple. Because it worked on the Playstation. Plus almost nobody bought that HD anyway.

Nintendo is trying the same with the Game Boy Micro now. I can't quite see that one take off though.

anthony wrote:
Some may talk about Nintendo's market dominance in the paw-held market, too, but...

I daresay that dominace was the only thing that saved Nintendo from going bankrupt after the failure of the N64 and the much less than thrilling sales of the GameCube. If it wasn't for the GameBoy Big N Might have had to go the way of Sega.

anthony wrote:
Have they ever tried the competition?

Only the GameGear. It was the only one that made it to Germany (and it was crushed by the GameBoy in a matter of month.

anthony wrote:
I have the Sega GameGear and the Atary Lynx(both the first and the II model) and... let's just say that they won't fit in ANY pocket.
Sure, they had colour screens, but... the 12V fluorescent backlight just ATE batteries.

Plus the screen of the GameGear was aweful. Tilt it a tiny bit too far and you could not see anything.

anthony wrote:
Nintendo gave the users exactly what they needed; a pocketable game machine that ran forever on a set of batteries.
In fact, the only handheld ever that could have competed is the Bandai wonderswan, and for one reason or another Bandai has never introduced it to other markets. I understand it is reasonably successful in Japan. (I have a couple of those, too, but as all the games are in Japanese only... )Yes, there's the Neo something, but... I don't have that one, so don't have anything to say about it.

The only problem was that they had no real competition. The GBA, while a great little machine, was much less than it could have been. Lucky for Nintendo Sony's PSP was still only a twinkle at the horizon.

This might interest you, Anthony. It's a list Gamespy made of the top 10 paw-helds that never made it.

anthony wrote:
The PlayStation Puny ('Puny' probably(c) Sluggy Freelance) looks nice, but... it's bigger than the Nintendo DS and tries to be a lot of things, so it's still to early to say how well it will do.
(I'll probably buy one later, when they've dropped sufficiently in price)

The PlayStation PORTABLE isn't really bigger than the DS. It's a bit wider and higher but distinctly slimmer. It's true though that it tries to be too many things at once. Add to that a MUCH to high price and lack of a killer app game and... well, the world-wide sales numbers show that it is not quite the success Sony would like it to be.

Mewmew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was so bad about the N64? I love the thing. The only thing I don't like is the rare game that requires the memory pack thing, and the fact that time moves way too fast in the 64 version of Harvest Moon. XD

My Livejournal

Mew Mew's Fur Affinity
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styx wrote:
For now I'm satisfide with my Xbox, PS2, and GC.

Aye, same here. As a matter of fact, I just completed the Gaming Triumpherate by buying an X-Box a couple months ago. Thus I have managed to purchase a PS2, Gamecube and X-Box all for the same amount of money they were charging for just an X-Box when it first came out.

So while I am interested in the technology being used to make these new consoles, I definitely won't be getting any of them for myself for a good long while. As per my usual cycle, I'll simply sit back and watch as awesome games drop in price, so I can snatch them up. I even joined the Edge club at Electronics Boutique so I get 10% off used games, meaning I get cheaper games for even less money (with a money-back thirty-day warranty, no less).

So enjoy your $400.00 death machines, ladies, for I will be enjoying $5.00 Grand Theft Auto, $7.00 Halo and $6.00 Star Fox Armada Twisted Evil

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yus! i agree.

Altho, the only game at the time i am willing to pay full price, when it comes out of course is the new Unreal Tournament Smile

Nothing like UT to let out some steam Smile

Maaaan... can't wait to go back home >.<

Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxx wrote:
Yus! i agree.

Altho, the only game at the time i am willing to pay full price, when it comes out of course is the new Unreal Tournament Smile

Nothing like UT to let out some steam Smile

Maaaan... can't wait to go back home >.<

Oh man...UT2k7 is going to require a few upgrades, but it looks SO worth it...I can't wait Very Happy
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda off-topic for a console gaming tread though.

And to answer your question, MewMew, games on cartridges (which were to expensive as well), too expensive hardware, an aweful controller and no really good games, with the exception of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Good thing that one came out forthe Xbox now.

francesis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you didn't like Perfect dark, or Golden Eye.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Kinda off-topic for a console gaming tread though.

And to answer your question, MewMew, games on cartridges (which were to expensive as well), too expensive hardware, an aweful controller and no really good games, with the exception of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Good thing that one came out forthe Xbox now.

What a Sony activist.. Nintendo is trying their best to please the consumers. No one acknowledges all the great things Nintendo has done for the gaming industry. Don't any of you know that it was Nintendo that translated Final Fantasy so Squaresoft could start a serious market in the US? I'd rather choose a tyrant over a thief, however, seeing as Sony ripped off the main blueprints of the original Playstation so they could make their own console. Nintendo owns more game industry than Microsoft or Sony, so they are at an advantage to produce their products cheaply and exclusively to them so that they can make the games and consoles cheaper. In the hands of Sony, a Nintendo DS, for example, would be over 350 dollars! It's the kiddy games I want over the hack and slash crap that makes my gut churn (That's hard to do to a rat!), and I will always acknowledge Mario is the greatest icon of all time.
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melina wrote:

What a Sony activist...

Tygon? Nah, he's more anti-Nintendo than Pro-Sony. Personally I find good and bad things about all three of those competeing companies.

Now *THIS* is a Sony Activist Twisted Evil

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Melina on one thing. Sony puts stuff out at price that is way too high for what your getting. The GC price had already dropped once by the time the PS2 dropped the first time and it came out a year before the GC.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: