Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: FEAR Reply with quote

I just tried the Single Player Demo for F.E.A.R. - First Encounter Assault Recon.

For those of you who don't know about it, it's a first person shooter that combines action and horror elements. There was a damn impressive video of it at the E3 2004, showing off impressive lightning, damage effects on walls etc and quite a scary atmophere. There is definitely something 'paranormal going on in this game. However, unlike in DOOM where you have to run around in the dark pretty much all the time FEAR only makes you do it at selected places, at least in the demo. And you have a headlamp, meaning light and gun at the same time is possible. A bullet-time mode as we know it from Max Payne (and Matrix of course) and melee attacks add to the tension.

Something that is really new about this game, at least to me, are smoke effects. When you shoot big guns they produce smoke and you can't simply step into a room and unload a clip full of ammo into you opponents because after ten shots or so you can't see a damn thing.

Anyway, this game looks very promising and I can only recommend getting the demo. FilePlanet has it for members only but you can get it pretty easily via BitTorrent.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just played THROUGH the FEAR demo. It's teasingly short (what you can tell by the mere fact that even I got through it Wink) but good. The graphics are awesome. I never play these games on the highest setting because I rather have them running smoothly but it still looks great. The lighting effects are top. Try shooting at a fluorescent light to make it swing. Looks damn great. Also if you shoot at a wall they don't just put a texture of a hole on it, no. Not only will the holl be pretty big (depending on what weapon you use) the shot will punch an actual hole in the wall, not just a texture.

In addition to that the game is damn scary. You keep seeing a small girl running around corners and suddenly disappearing and eventually full fledged visions of horror. There are also some hints to that something is wrong with the guy you are controlling.

Anyway, I can only recommend FEAR to everyone who like first person shooters, action games and horror games. You can get the single player demo on FilePlanet (but you have to be a member) or just make a Google search for it.

Needless to say that I am looking forward to the full game.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my brother has played through it and he says "The best single player 1st person shooter I have played so far."

I'm looking forward to get my copy of the game which will arrive soon... I hope *glances to Pflarr* Wink

Maybe I'll revive my review thread with a review of FEAR.

silverfang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game alright. Looks amazing and has some really great scares.

Pro: Great Look
Semi-relistic weapons - Mostly
Easy to use controls
Bullet Time
Music/Sound effects

Cons: Far to short
Bullet time about the only way you can fight.
Gets to be very "The Ring" like by the end
Limited Variety of weapons

All in all it was a good game. The plot seems to be leading into a sequel or they just didnt feel like explaining it all. Ill have to agree its the best shooter of the year (that I haev played anyway) but the multiplayer doesnt really work very well for a game where you usually feel the need to go all matrix and slow down time.
Dingo Fenris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the demo, and found it incredibly addictive given how short it was. The horror element was a refreshing touch in my opinion, instead of monster that scare you cause they leap out of no where and start hacking, biting, shooting etc. The little girl is there for just one reason. To scare the living bejebus out of you. I have also had the priviledge of playing in a FEAR multiplayer contest. Think CS with bullet time. But I have to say the damnable Assault Rifle is way too powerful, I came third after I picked that thing up. In general I found what little I played of the game to be sweet.
Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game defenately ranks high on the creep meter I like the spike gun, nothing better then to score a kill shot and see you're target fly across the room to hang on the wall from what ever body part you hit Twisted Evil and close range shotgun head shots are heh, killer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> The Planetfurry Gamer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: