Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watchingstone Writing Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Poke, poke> Hey everyone I just came from the main voting page and it said:

Quote:
There is only 4 days, 09 hours, 24 minutes, and 27 seconds left to finish scoring the stories.

So if you haven't voted yet, what are you waiting for!? Get moving! Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only a bit more than 16 hours left until the close of the voting period. Authors may vote as well and some have, but not all. Have you forgotten?

Anthrofiction Network's Spring 2006 Contest Page

Scotty

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who won? Whats the scores?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preliminary Contest Results

The complete results will appear on the website as soon as I can get the pages up.

Overall Score: 3.61
The Dance
by Dr. Kayngi

Overall Score: 3.59
Preacher Bennie Bunny
by Oscar Rat

Overall Score: 3.35
The Stinkfields and the McChips Feud
by Oscar Rat

Overall Score: 3.19
The Flight of the Silver Phoenix
by No Idea

When will the pages be up? In a few hours. It will probably take me daze to be able to auto-generate complete pages from the raw data. Meanwhile I will fudge it and hand generate the contest results to meld them with the existing bits of auto-generated story pages.

I should announce the summer contest season and summer theme within 24 hours. The close of the summer entry period will be on August 10th rather than July 31st because the start of the summer contest was pushed back by 21 days.

I’ll post again when the website is ready.

Scotty

No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dr. Kayngi! Take it from me, you deserved it. Read it, cast my ballot, loved it. Opted not to send a comment, though...

I'm actually quite pleased by the results that my story turned out. The reasons being two simple facts:

#1: I wrote that particular story in 2 hours. I was a bout to go on a short trip when I worte it, so I threw it together and sent it in. Thus the frequent typos (I don't use spell checkers, makes me feel like a cheater if I do). I did come back before the submitting period, but didn't know I did because it was extended a day quite unexpectedly.

#2: I'm 15 years old........

Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone! I was not expecting this! It certainly was a challenging theme and we all embraced it in our different ways. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge as well as the other stories.
Den Mother of PF

I got ART
http://kayngi.deviantart.com/
http://kayngi.sheezyart.com
Shar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing wrote:
Congrats Dr. Kayngi! Take it from me, you deserved it. Read it, cast my ballot, loved it. Opted not to send a comment, though...

I'm actually quite pleased by the results that my story turned out. The reasons being two simple facts:

#1: I wrote that particular story in 2 hours. I was a bout to go on a short trip when I worte it, so I threw it together and sent it in. Thus the frequent typos (I don't use spell checkers, makes me feel like a cheater if I do). I did come back before the submitting period, but didn't know I did because it was extended a day quite unexpectedly.

#2: I'm 15 years old........

Actually.. i quite liked your story. Keep it up.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee!

The website is patched up pretty well and shows the results for the spring contest and the invitation to the summer contest—which is now! And I didn’t have to restructure things, which is cool. So go check out the summer contest and see what the new theme is.

What I should do in the next few days:
  • I need to get e-mails out to the authors with all the comments. The story pages show only those comments the readers marked as okay to make public.
  • I haven’t completed my sample story for summer. I should.
  • I should restructure the “short story contest” index page. Right now the major sections stay put and the function of each shifts around only a little with the different periods (writing, judging, results), but having a new look which is dependent on the period would be awesome. Example, for the spring contest the stories are waaay at the bottom of the page and I don’t show the scores. Ick.
  • I don’t have anything about the authors other than their names. I also need to setup my e-mail form so it knows about the authors and people can send them e-mail through the form—for those who said it was okay.
  • There are some pages that need work: the management page, the e-mail form page needs fixing, I should have a page that defines “anthrofiction” since I make such a big deal about it, my “proper markup” page has a few errors, and a history page might be nice.
  • I’d like to create a “test” section of the website so you can fiddle with the system (and help me test it), and to give you access to the webbification process without having to enter a story (and help me test it).
  • I need to think about the logic of the story and ballot processing to make sure it is solid. It could be improved.
  • Arrrg! I still want a prize of some sort. <weeps>

I won’t be able to do much more than work on finishing my sample story this weekend. Monday I can get back to the rest of the list.

I don’t want to spend too much time on the list. Maybe a week. The big push is to get a live database going then have the pages talk with it (which I’ve never done before), and to create a system that has user accounts, tracking cookies, and other good things. The motivation is that by requiring a login to view the stories, I’m not publishing them to the Web. It would be awesome to help authors grow to publication quality, but a shame if they withheld stories because they decided they wanted to try to go pro. Few professional publishers will want a story that someone else has already published.

Early in July I’ll jump over to a test site for the database/cookie project and hope to have something that is at least functional by the end of July. The entry deadline is the end of the day on August 10th.

Authors:

Your stories will remain posted on the site until September 10th unless you ask to have them removed earlier. If you wish to move the hosting of the story to your website, I’d love to link to it there. Also, I kinda feel I should regenerate your PDF files with something a little more personal than “Author #4” and my URL. I’ll think about this.

Author links! Check out the links page. I have a place to link to your site. Send me a brief description of your site and I’ll post it.

Mike and Princess:

Thanks a million for your help. You get links too, so think of something to put on my links page.

All (again)

Well, this has been fun and interesting. A sort of a shakedown cruse. Not too much was broken and I’m thrilled with the stories and the votes. We had voters sneak in from far away and that’s cool. And I’ve gotten some authors from outside the fandom interested in the summer contest, and that’s cool too.

I hope to see more authors and stories for the summer season. And I hope to generate more interest in anthrofiction and the contest, especially among the “general public”. Authors, you can help. When you have an entry, tell your friends, tell your relatives, tell your mother even. Anthrofiction is cool and it deserves to go mainstream. Your mother will be proud.

You can help me promote the site by linking to it from elsewhere. I’m also very open to link exchanges with complementary sites. The sole purpose of Anthrofiction Network is to nurture and grow fantastic authors who like to write anthrofiction. So any site that is writer oriented or reader oriented, any site that is about publishing (with the exception of vanity presses, vanity agents, or other scams), and any site that is about anthropomorphic anything (as long as it is “family friendly”) is a great candidate for a link exchange. I’m sure there are categories I’m forgetting.

Thanks again for an awesome spring contest season and I hope to see you all again.

Scotty

Last edited by ScottyDM on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, delete Embarassed
No_Idea_What_I'm_Doing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shar wrote:
Actually.. i quite liked your story. Keep it up.

Thank you very much. Smile Time to hit the summer contest, I guess. ¡Adelante, amigos! ¡Necesitamos mas participantes! (Come on, friends! We need more participants!)

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested theme... well, I'm definitely in this time!
PrincessB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, new contest theme sounds interesting. I found out today that I will be working less hours a week than originally thought I would, maybe I might have time to write something. Course right now I'm so sore from a hard first day back to work that I doubt I could lift a pencil to write my initials, never mind a short story.
We'll see how things go between now and then.

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the thread for the summer contest has been moved here. However, if you wish to keep discussing the spring contest feel free to do so in this thread.

I just realized. Mike gave us our own forum called Anthrofiction Network's Short Story Contest. So each contest will have its own thread under that. Awesomeness! Thanks Mike.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder

The contest discussion thread is now here, in it's own forum. There are only about 28 1/2 days left to finish writing your story and enter it.

Scotty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Contests All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: