Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watchingstone Writing Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharc_Vulpus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would completely love to enter... however short stories not my thing. I'm still trying to turn"just another Love story" into a novel... .which was the orginal intent... anyway! Congrats to who ever wins you have more talent than me! *tthinks it takes more talent to end a story than to write a long one with the hope of an ending*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nay good Sharc! And I shall repeat, nay! You too can enter. I know what it's like to have a never-ending story (hmm, flashback...) that you just keep writing. But you too can finish the story. It takes practice. If you care to, now would be a great time to practice it! The contest has a 3500 word max, so consider it. It need only be an event. You could even use it as a character study.

It's easier than you might think. =^_^=

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Nadan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furiously so I write
To bring the Black Pearl, my delight.
A tap-tap-tapping comes on my door.
This rap-rap-rapping, what is it for?
Ah! Quothe the Raven

"29 days more!"

Twenty-nine days until the WatchingStone AnthroStory Contest's summer season deadline comes! Have you been writing furiously to bring the Black Pearl to your website / blog / or desktop? Have you intended to but not yet started? The Raven has arrived to tap on your door and remind you to keep going. Already several stories have been entered. There remains four full weeks. You can do it! I'll be looking forward to approving your stories soon!

(poem inspired by "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe)

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While walking around the city today a song finally gave me the inspiration I needed. If things go right I will start writing tomorrow and with a little luck might even finish the story the same day Smile
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
Quote:
Ah! Quothe the Raven

"29 days more!"

I still like;

"Quothe the server - 404!"

Twisted Evil

"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, "'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404."
Pflarrian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Regan wrote:
New contest entry is up.

Thought and Memory - an Adventure Kayaverse short from Pflarrian.

If you have read any of his Pflarrian and the Wolves you should know the characters.

*sigh* Kay kind of challenged me to write a story for this. She said, "if *I* can find time to write a story for the contest, then *YOU* can too!" To which I could only reply, "Well, okay, if you really think I should," to which she said "yes," and I said "okay, but it'll be an Adventure Kay spinoff, muaha, hahaha!"

Anyway, link is here:

http://www.raccoons-bookshelf.net/Site/index.html

It's near the bottom of the page under "contest updates." Wink
Nadan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolness. Glad to see the story is up and ready. Please remember to enter the story by sending me an email with the required info. That information is listed at the contest page. I have coppied it below for easy reference:
~~~~~~~~~

Please fill out the following information in an e-mail to Nadan (nadan(at)watchingstone.com) to enter the contest:

Author's Name and/or Alias: (However you want to be listed as the author)
Author's E-mail:
Link to Story Location:
Story Title:
Word Count:
Please include the following statement with your application: I am in fact the author of the story being submitted by this application. I am giving permission for links to my story to be placed at the Contest page of WatchingStone.com; it's mirror on Furnation.com; and the forum of Planetfurry.com, where the stories will be judged.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My entry for the Summer Writing contest is done. You can find my latest short story 'The Boys of Summer' on my page in the Other Writings section, or here if you HAVE to do it the easy way Wink

I'll send a copy off to Mike, so a PDF version should be up on the Bookshelf within the next days.

The email to enter the story properly will follow within the next hours.

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike!
Nadan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Where for art thou? Reply with quote

Hark! What light through yonder window breaks!
'Tis The AnthroStory Summer Contest, and 15 days remain!

Yes, fifteen (15) days are left until August 31 (at least, it's 15 days if I can count right). So I ask, "Where for art thou?"

Are you still writing? Excelent! I can't wait to read the stories you've worked so hard on. Please remember to send in your application by August 31. I would hate to see your hard work go to waste.

Are you on the fence? I mean, fifteen days is too short a time to write a story in, right? Wrong! It's a short story, you see. 'Tis the nature of the contest. Bring joy to the world by showing your creativity. Okay, maybe not joy to the world - but at least joy to your readers. =^_^=

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true Nadan.

I heard about this on the 11th; started writing on the 13th; finished a first pass on the 14th (3900 words. Gaaa!); sliced, diced, trimmed, and slimmed until I got it down to 3454 words, then webbified (pdffled too) it on the 16th. Now I'll sit on it a day or three and see how it feels before entering it.

You can do it under 15 days.

Scotty

ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharc_Vulpus wrote:
I would completely love to enter... however short stories not my thing. I'm still trying to turn"just another Love story" into a novel... .which was the orginal intent... anyway! Congrats to who ever wins you have more talent than me! *thinks it takes more talent to end a story than to write a long one with the hope of an ending*

Sharc:

I've been working on a "short" story that will probably weigh in at 12,000 to 15,000 words. I started with a clear beginning, middle, and end. All of which helps, but it was having a villain, heroine, half-dozen supporting characters, and a galaxy of extras that caused my story's size to balloon. I'd also created a pile of background information on the major characters, most of which will never be directly used in the story. In the final scene, the heroine reveals that her experience has changed her inside and she's going to make some major changes on the outside. So I've thought about what she does in the months following the end of the story.

When the call for the contest came, I realized I could use my heroine in a completely different setting. This new contest story takes place 11 1/2 months after my original "short" ends. Once I had my basic story idea for the contest, things just popped into place. Writing for the contest did not have a negative impact on finishing the longer "short", but it helps me see my character more clearly, gets me playing with my mental blocks, and inspires me to jump back in and finish the original.

Is there some character (or characters) you can use from your novel? Is there some situation that existed before your novel you can write about? Is there some situation that could arise after the novel (due to things that happen in the novel)? Can you explore some aspect of a character you never got to address because it didn't fit? Is there a scene you can breakout, then wrap so it becomes a story unto itself?

You can do it.

Scotty

Kayngi
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on my entry. Will finish it when it wants to be finished and submit when it's done.
Den Mother of PF

I got ART
http://kayngi.deviantart.com/
http://kayngi.sheezyart.com
ScottyDM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony:

Will you use the poll feature on this forum for voting? And if you do, will you bury it in "Everyday blither-blather" or will you put it in "Contests"?

When I first heard there was a discussion of this contest on Planet Furry, it took me awhile to find it. "Contests" seemed like the logical place for a discussion, but "Everyday blither-blather" is okay. However, for the voting please put it in "Contests".

Even if given a direct link to the discussion thread where a poll is taking place, you need to log in before voting (unless you open voting to non-members, which opens the contest to ballot stuffing). Logging in takes you back to the root of the forums and then the voter will be faced with a long list of forums to choose from. "Contests" is near the top and the obvious place for the voting/poll.

I fear if you make it almost impossible for non-longtime members of Planet Furry to vote, then my mom won't get to vote for me. Crying or Very sad

AOL's got a point. Lots of people would rather not think too hard even if it means far better service and lower prices. Likewise with the voting, if some people are required to think, they'll just go away.

Oh yea, on a personal note: could you put a link to the Planet Furry forums on your contest page?

Scotty

Doing his part to keep this thread near the top of the forum.

PrincessB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is put in Blither-Blather I'd suggest it being done as a sticky. Sticky's will stay around the top and wont get shoved down to another page, though theres been a few new sticky's added lately so its already a bit crowded up there and needs a cleaning. But if the mods clean it up better than a sticky on Blither blather would be fairly easy to spot. Though I'd think for outsiders the contest section would be better, course regulars don't always look around much more than Blither blather.
Either way I'd rule out guest votes, it takes only a few moments to do a basic membership, and if your unwilling to do that then the contest must not really interest you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Contests All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: