Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server Maintenance - Multiple Service Patches/Upgrades

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Server Maintenance - Multiple Service Patches/Upgrades Reply with quote

Tonight I will be installing several patches and upgrades to various services and applications on the server. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by Whip-lash on Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't seem to catch a break.

As you may or may not know, the server was down between 1am and 2pm today due to unforseen reasons. Unforseen reasons, being that the RAID arrays (all 3 of them) degraded and kicked out the 2nd hard drive, and locked up on reboot.

Once I was able to physically get to the machine, I noticed that, in addition to the arrays being degraded, it was freezing on a step of bootup that I thought I had disabled (Red Hat's kudzu hardware detection service), and complaining that a device driver was missing. So, after getting to a working kernel and shell, I reinstalled the version of the kernel that was missing the device driver, rebooted, and all was well... with the exception of the RAID arrays.

I guess I should expect behaviour like this from the software RAID driver... it's no hardware RAID, and I got what I paid for... so to speak. Both drives were perfectly okay, no SMART errors, nothing logged, nada. Something just decided is was time to kick the bucket. Luckily, since the drive that was disabled was still working, all I had to do was reattach the appropriate partitions, and the reconstruction process begins.

With the exception of the load and disk i/o that is currently bogging down the system with the reconstruction, everything should be back up now. SpamAssassin was giving me some trouble prior to the downtime, so I'm going to check on it and make sure everything is working as it should. Afterwards, God willing, I'll attempt to finish the patch process.

I apologize for the downtime on the server. Thank you for your patience with me.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ensim Webppliance interface is offline for the time being until I can apply necessary patches against it. During the upgrade from SpamAssassin 2.x to 3.x, released by Ensim, they failed to include updated scripts used by the Webppliance interface when users update their individual SpamAssassin settings. Basically, Ensim's scripts are writing configuration files that were designed for SpamAssassin 2.x, and cannot be read by SpamAssassin 3.x.

-.- Even when you pay out of your *** you still can't seem to get quality software or support.

Note: Yes, I know the patches that fix this are available now, however they need to be applied in sequence in order to prevent bigger problems. The fact that they have users go through 40 steps that should have been a 2 step process, and that they didn't fix the initial packages is my complaint.

Ensim's software isn't worth beans, but there is nothing much else available for me to use in this environment. Plesk looks promising, but I haven't seen a "migration license" (to pay less to "upgrade" from a competing product) from them, and their interface has it's fair share of issues. Webmin's Virtualmin interface looks good, and has a lot of potential, but is missing several features and functions I know the users need, and is missing several securing functions of the interface (automatic chroot, etc.). I'm not going to even mention cPanel's crapware.

I've got to be at work early tomorrow morning, so I'm going to have to call it quits for tonight. Everything should be working for the time being. If not, please either email me, or post a message in the Site Problems forum.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Ensim "patches" are applied. SpamAssassin has been upgraded to 3.0.x, and should be configurable through the Ensim interface without problems (if there are any problems, open a thread in the Site Problems forum). I am now in the process of upgrading MySQL from 3.23.x to 4.1.x. This will likely not take place tonight, but I am testing it on a local test machine.

If you have any questions or concerns with the upgrade from MySQL 3.23.x to 4.1.x, either open a thread in the Site Problems forum, send me a Private Message, or email me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> System News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: