Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any advice on screenwriting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Any advice on screenwriting? Reply with quote

I'm currently writing a fanfic script for Father of the Pride, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on writing screenplays. I've read alot already, but if I can learn anything else, then I'd much appreciate it. Also, what I've read isn't directly related to comedy, and anyone who's seen FOTP will know it's a comedy, so if anyone has any advice on writing one-liners and such, then I'd really appreciate that as well.

Thanks everyone Very Happy

kodayu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good book on comedy scriptwriting called "The Comic Toolbox" by John Vorhaus. It is more or less a standard book on comedy writing, pretty much everything you need to know about sitcom and such can be found in it and it's even a funny read. I can recommend it.
I don't know what you've already read, but "Adventures in the Screentrade" by William Goldman is also a nice read, although it's not really a guide. It's rather a book about Goldman's writing experience and he gives good advice here and there.
There's also some technical stuff that is usually necessary to know about writing screenplays. Usually people expect you to use a very distinctive format in the document (12 point Courier, Names in capital letters, dialog should be centered,...). That's makes it look "professional". There's a special word processor called "Final Draft", but M$ Word works just as well. You can download a special screenplay writing template for Word here:
http://www.filmidee.de/allgemein/download/plotpot.zip
The instructions are unfortunately in german, but it's useful anyway.
There's more that I could tell you about it, but I really don't know what you need to know. So if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

RunningCat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it tenice that you need there is a great software out there called Final Draft. It helps your write the story so it is proffesional script looking.
beno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, both. I don't know if final draft has a Linux version, though. I don't really use Windows, just for the internet. I'll still look into it, though. And thanks for the book suggestions. I'll look into those as well. The only things I've read about screenwriting have been just screenwriting in general. Nothing specifically about comedy. What I've read is some stuff on the internet, and a rather good book by Robert McKee. It's got alot of good advice on structuring the story, different types of plot, writing the scenes, making an effective protagonist, etc. But what I'm really interested in is comedy writing. I can crack a few good jokes, but I just can't write things like one liners.
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunningCat wrote:
If it tenice that you need there is a great software out there called Final Draft. It helps your write the story so it is proffesional script looking.

Yes Final Draft is a very good program. If you get it get Syd Field's companion program witch takes you though the steps of wirting a screenplay you get a better deal if you buy them as a package set, Imade the mistake of buying them separately and paid about $20.00-$30.00 more about a year ago.

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a book I picked up a while back called "Writing For Televion by Garld Kelsey" It gave me all lot of the formating help when I was having diffcuty.

Crystal Dragon Raccoon

Last edited by Chris Regan on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Skype Name
beno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I might check that book out if I get a chance.
Chris Regan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on Final Draft I suggest you get there tutorial CD it will helps you with how to change formats for different companies, if it is to be a screenplay for a TV show and stuff like that, but it goes thought all the instructions on how to use the program too.

Crystal Dragon Raccoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: