Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maya

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Maya Reply with quote

I want to get Maya, but my computer is a really old junker and it won't work on my computer. I've got the software, it's just until I get a new PC, (hopefully soon) I don't have any way of running Maya. So what I'm asking is does anyone know of anywhere I can get an old version of Maya that will work on a computer running with 64MB of RAM?
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maya V4x might be able to run on such a box, maybe not, 3x would be the best bet. You'll ne needong at least double that for 3x anyways

ICG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum RAM for working with Maya 4+5 is 256 MB, the actual Maya 6.5 needs a minimum of 512 MB.

The best way to get a such old version of a software is at a computer flea market.

beno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. You see, I'm planning on getting my new PC sometime in August, along with Maya 6.5, but until then I just want to be able to do my modelling done at home instead of just half an hour on another computer at school on the only machine with the maya software on it. Boy, it took alot of convincing the administrator to let me do that. And the problem with doing that at school is whenever someone sees you working on something like that at school, you're likely to hear the word "Geek" thrown at you. And then they see the work you're doing and suddenly it's a whole lot wierder. Sorry about the ramble folks. Just really desperate to get my new PC. Here's the specs I'm planning on getting:

2.0 GHz AMD processor
512MB-1 GB RAM
80-100GB HDD
Not sure what video/sound cards I'll be getting yet, though.

ICG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a machine you can work well with Smile

For the graphics card: if you don't want to play the newest games, it doesn't really matter which one you get, even onboard solutions (i.e. nforce chipset) improved a lot the last years.

Well, with that few ram you have now it will be really a pain to work with Maya, even if you only do your modeling stuff with the machine. It will be instable I afraid.

Maya 4 requires Windows 2000 or XP btw, both don't run with only 64 MB.

Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICG wrote:

For the graphics card: if you don't want to play the newest games, it doesn't really matter which one you get, even onboard solutions (i.e. nforce chipset) improved a lot the last years.

Well, with that few ram you have now it will be really a pain to work with Maya, even if you only do your modeling stuff with the machine. It will be instable I afraid.

If I were you I'd stick with the NVIDIA brand of video cards. Specifically
when it comes to OpenGL, and rendering in MentalRay. The ATI cards,
especially you X800, do have some problems displaying, particle systems, and some textures correctly

ICG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:
If I were you I'd stick with the NVIDIA brand of video cards. Specifically
when it comes to OpenGL, and rendering in MentalRay. The ATI cards,
especially you X800, do have some problems displaying, particle systems, and some textures correctly

The particle system is 'only' a driver-problem and will most likely be sloved soon (if it isn't already). I don't know about any OpenGL problems with the ATIs.

The rendering itself with raytracers happens in the ram and it got nothing to do with the graphics card.

There's nothing to say against the nVidia cards though. The market changes quickly, it's mostly only a question how much 'bang' you get for the buck. The difference between the different brands/manufacturers aren't very big either once you've decided for an ATI or nVidia chipset.

beno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICG wrote:

This is where you're gonna really be surprised. I'm running my system with Windows 2000. Yes, on my old 64MB RAM system. And it's more stable than when I run it with Windows 98. I actually only installed it last night. But with no BSODs so far, I think it's pretty stable.

I do also have Linux Fedora Core. It works pretty well with my system, and a friend of mine who'se studying ICT says he may or may not be able to get a copy of the Linux version of Maya for me. I did get myself the personal learning edition by downloading it on another machine and burning it to a CD but I haven't tested it on my system yet. I'm gonna do that after I've finished here. Wish me luck Smile

Oh, and thanks for all your advice on which systems and video cards to get Wink I'm probably gonna go with a motherboard bundle because I am on a tight budget.

admford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well beno, I'm running Maya on my PowerMac G4 quite nicely. Though it's been heavily upgraded from the original configuration. I'm currently at:

1x G4 @ 733Mhz
1.5GB SDRAM PC133
558GB HD space (two 300GB Maxtor diamond max drives in SATA raid)
Radeon 9800 XT taken from a PC and modded to run on my Mac.

I'm still planning some upgrades on it soon (more HD space, and a better processor). But still the machine runs like a dream I don't have any problems that windows machines have (ie viruses and similar).

Instead of going for a PC i'd say it would be better for you go to twards the Mac area for Maya. It's just as compatible, and you'll have less headaches with the OS. Besides, Apple gives student discounts routinely on it's computers, just check out their education store.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mac and Linux are the operating systems I'm gonna be using mostly. (One or the other) Though I'd probably have a partition with Windows installed on it for compatibility with other programs.
admford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Mac OS X is Unix, and with X11 installed you just have to recompile most Linux progs to make them run. Though Gentoo, Debian and Yellowdog are Mac compatible Linux distros. Through VPC you can emulate a PC, though a bit spartanly and slowly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll look into Mac OS X. Though the Linux distro I use is Feodra Core. Is OS X compatible with Red Hat?
CJ_Krythos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any ways of getting ahold of a cheap copy of Maya? even earlier versions would be ok with me. Im just starting out with 3D art and I want to find a good program for it. I cant use Second Life because you cant make good animations using Second Life unless you really know what you are doing. I just need a program that would allow you to do that sortof thing.

also is there any particular versions of the Maya software that you would reccomend I get or reccomend I avoid? I dont want to buy something I wont use at all.

"When taking a vacation from life, death is only the beggining and birth is only the end"
- Crimson Jackal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> CG Furry Art All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: