Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The PF Army
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Should the PF Army Consist Of?
Ninjas with Machine Guns
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
Gold Robots
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Goblins - And lots of em'!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Only People Named 'Doug' (the Canadian Army)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Penguins with Rocket-Launchers
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Skunky Clone Troopers
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
The Macho Man, Randy Savage ... rapping!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taspacecampjh wrote:
Ok this weekend while myself Maxx and Asalis were back at my home in abilene we came up with sum concluseions

First Planetfurry has deffently outgrown being a planet and is its own universe if not multiverse

Second not only do me need land air and sea based armys but with added info from above we need a space defence....

So unless I've missed the point (which is, as ever, entirely possible), then the PF military will require:

1. Infantry

2. Land Armor

3. Naval Forces

4. Air Forces
(including Dragons, it would seem)

5. Space Forces

6. Special Forces
(likely encompassing or incorporating unit types of the previous categories).

Any thoughts?

P.S. And no, we're not using a dang BOLO; those things are just ridiculously huge, slow, expensive targets. You might as well strip naked in front of a bunch of drunk bikers and paint a bulls-eye on your crotch.
Twisted Evil

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua Fox wrote:
P.S. And no, we're not using a dang BOLO; those things are just ridiculously huge, slow, expensive targets. You might as well strip naked in front of a bunch of drunk bikers and paint a bulls-eye on your crotch. Twisted Evil

For a guy who doesn't know anything about BOLOS, you sure make decisions on them fast.
If you read the BOLOS books, you'd vote for them too. Guaranteed.

PS - BOLOS are supposed to be seen. They are not slow. They are expensive, but you'd better have nearly unlimited firepower and be willing to suffer near total losses to take one out. Got two, and yer odds decrease even further.

Enjoy.
elMaxx
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises hand and makes lewd hand gestures to fellow admin J. Fox*

Where do i sign up?!

Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
For a guy who doesn't know anything about BOLOS, you sure make decisions on them fast.

PS - BOLOS are supposed to be seen. They are not slow. They are expensive, but you'd better have nearly unlimited firepower and be willing to suffer near total losses to take one out. Got two, and yer odds decrease even further.

Enjoy.

Sorry, Shoobie, but you are so absolutely convinced that these bolo things are the supreme, unbeatable warmachines, you are practically begging us to take the opposite position.

Every author can come up with something 'unbeatable'. That's pretty easy and if they are really as powerful as you say I don't see a reason in reading thse books because they win every battle with ease. What's the point of reading the story then?

In any case, I would like volunteer myself as commander of the PFSF, the PlanetFurry Space Forces.

Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Every author can come up with something 'unbeatable'. That's pretty easy and if they are really as powerful as you say I don't see a reason in reading thse books because they win every battle with ease. What's the point of reading the story then?

Yer right, it wouldn't be much of a story if they won with ease. So i guess it's good that they don't win with ease. These are highly-aclaimed science-fiction works with great storylines, deep characters, and plots that will have you on the edge of your seat.

Pick up a book and read it.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
Yer right, it wouldn't be much of a story if they won with ease. So i guess it's good that they don't win with ease.

Which means that they can't be as power as you claim they are.

Sorry, this is nothing against you, Shoobie but as I said, at least I feel demanded to try and prove you wrong about this. There is no such things as 'unbeatable' or 'impossibe' in science-fiction.

Shoobie wrote:

As I said before, I can't get them in Germany so that will have to wait.

Last edited by Tygon on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tygon wrote:
Shoobie wrote:

As I said before, I can't get them in Germany so that will have to wait.

I suppose I could send you one. It'd take time, though.

You can't find any online? Not even from Amazon?
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
I suppose I could send you one. It'd take time, though.

You can't find any online? Not even from Amazon?

Too expensive to have them shipped to Germany, not to mention that Amazon will not ship many items to Germany.

Superlagg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
Joshua Fox wrote:
P.S. And no, we're not using a dang BOLO; those things are just ridiculously huge, slow, expensive targets. You might as well strip naked in front of a bunch of drunk bikers and paint a bulls-eye on your crotch. Twisted Evil

Enjoy.

Why not just launch a Dramage anti-matter torpedo at the planet. Cant have a huge ass tank on a planet with no solid surface.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aramis Dagaz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taspacecampjh wrote:
Second not only do me need land air and sea based armys but with added info from above we need a space defence.... our first thought was of corse a long ship crewed by skunkfox clones.... can he say ramming speed ahead and yes you can guess the ship shape.... our minds went overboard

I think we can use one of Mapper's ideas (CAUTION: Probably not work safe due to the puns). Imagine one of these Penetrator-class drop ships with a platoon of genetically-modified zero-g Skunky clones ramming into an enemy ship and the ensuing chaos and mayhem they'll cause, especially if they run into the bridge.

Now, for the BOLOS controversy...

I haven't read any of the BOLOS books, but from what I've read, the BOLOS tanks are supposed to be so high-tech and heavily armed that they don't even need to move in order to destroy an invading force on the other side of the planet, much like an intercontinental ballistic missile or bomber. However, the biggest argument I hear against the BOLOS is that they are infeasible and prohibitively expensive. Well, I propose a compromise: Tygon probably is using arguments that he might've learned from playing Warhammer 40K, where the biggest and most powerful unit invariably draws the most fire. So why not capitalize on that tendency? Instead of a full-scale BOLOS, instead construct one huge dummy, possibly adding in a big orbital defense gun to give it a little bite so invaders will take it seriously. So while the enemy is trying to destroy the fake that they think is a real BOLOS (assuming that they haven't turned tail and fled already), the smaller regular units can move in and take advantage of their distraction (just send a few Skunky drop ships blasting into their docking bays).

The disadvantages of this approach is that while the psuedo-BOLOS is nowhere near as expensive as an actual BOLOS, it will still be a costly endeavour. Also, our counter-intelligence agencies will have to be top-notch to make sure our enemies won't discover the truth, as part of our defensive strategy will be based on a ruse. In which case, this tactic is a deterrent only, something to suppliment the main defense strategy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
taspacecampjh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramis Dagaz wrote:
taspacecampjh wrote:
Second not only do me need land air and sea based armys but with added info from above we need a space defence.... our first thought was of corse a long ship crewed by skunkfox clones.... can he say ramming speed ahead and yes you can guess the ship shape.... our minds went overboard

I think we can use one of Mapper's ideas (CAUTION: Probably not work safe due to the puns). Imagine one of these Penetrator-class drop ships with a platoon of genetically-modified zero-g Skunky clones ramming into an enemy ship and the ensuing chaos and mayhem they'll cause, especially if they run into the bridge.

Umm yes Aramis thats very much what we were thinking but must be much MUCH bigger and longer and almost "pulseing" with SkunkFox clones ready to "Hard dock" with your ship
O yes thats gotta be one Sh"long" ship

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be rude here when I say "If you haven't read a single BOLO story, you really don't know what yer talking about."

The BOLOS books, while not as widely known as Star-Wars, aren't an obscure thing in the sci-fi world. Also, after the original creator (Keith Laumer) died, his son and many other famous sci-fi writers began writing BOLO stories. How many other creations recieve attention like that? Not many.

Then there's the stories themselves. They aren't just endless battles where you read about this gun shooting then that gun shooting then victory. There's several plots running at the same time, with deep and interesting characters, along with the action (and some BOLO stories don't even have a battle at all). The BOLOs, being AI themselves, have a character all to their own, and you really do begin to feel fear for them when they head into battle, get excited, get angry. Plus, BOLO novels and stories don't usually follow the typical enemy guidlines. I mean, enemies come in all forms, mindsets and tactics, along with some pretty interesting linguistics and characteristics, which really helps. You don't get the same ol' humanoid "evil person" thing like so many other stories. There are times in the books/stories where you go "oh man, this is it. he can't possibly survive this" and then it's just mindblowing how they make it through (if they do. Not all BOLO books end with a living BOLO.)

Before I leave this subject, I just want to note to those who don't know, but BOLOs (especially the later Marks) are DESIGNED to be planetary defense platforms. You can defend a whole planet with just one BOLO, even though BOLOS love to work together. They wouldn't have the reputation (literary and RL) that they do (nor thousands of years of history) if they could be so easily defeated.

Besides...I wouldn't have suggested we get one if I didn't have faith in them! Smile What kind of fuzz would I be if I gave you nice folks a bum?

Alright, alright...I'll stop pushing the BOLOS. I just don't want to hear anymore dissing if you ain't read anything. Smile
Shoobie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I suck...
Look at me raining on the parade...

Sorry. Sad
aryeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`l join the space force as a starship captian.
i love orbitle bombardments Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Vee Are Are Schee
Mini-Boss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
Man, I suck...
Look at me raining on the parade...

Sorry. Sad

Sorry? Sorry? That's not good enough!

No, for expressing your own opinions, you'll have to be, like, strapped to a rocket! And that rocket will have to blow up a BOLO just to make it ironic!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: