Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S' what do you call 'em?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: S' what do you call 'em? Reply with quote

One of the small roadblocks I've come up against in writing is what to call my furry folk.

For example, on Earth there are Chinese, Indians, Italians, Germans, etc, but we are all "Humans."

I've run into the same situation with my furry characters. I have foxes, wolves, Amar'I, etc...but what are they collectively?

They're furries, yes...but that's not really a good name to use in a serious sci-fi story.

So far, I've gotten away with calling them "Anthros", blaming it on social blither-blather in the universe.

While that name works, I don't like it. I mean, it's short for "Anthropomorphic," and that isn't a very good name.

Anyone still following me?

... ^..^ ...

Explorations welcome...
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here (with what I mostly mean the Sabrinaverse) we normally call them 'Furs', with them all together being 'Furkind'. That works pretty well, except for cases with words like 'inhuman' and a few other words that use the term 'human' in some way.

Cirrel uses 'Phurs' in his Wilderhom trilogy but since they are genetically created in that story the situation is a little different.

Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my Anthros are beings which more-or-less evolved naturally alongside humans and other races (although not on the same planet). They weren't genetically created or anything in my stories.
Vee Are Are Schee
Mini-Boss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my story, they're called foxes, or mice, based upon their species. They don't have the mindset to try and catagorize themselves as one group, as none of them see themselves as one group. A hound would say,

"Yes, I'm a houd, and he's a hare. What do we have in common?"

For when any of them would want to refer to the general "furrykind" as a whole, they would simply use the term Nacian, what with the name of their landmass being Nacia.

It may be worth noting that my world has significantly less anthropormorphism than other worlds; it's very little more than animals being given thumbs, language, and a slight boost to cognitive abilities. Furthermore, each species results in a drastically different culture for each... uh, species. Even though the foxes interact with the hounds for various reasons, they are no where near being a single "group."

There's only one city in the whole world where animals of multiple species live in a great diversity, and that city was brought about by more of a freak byproduct of a long chain of events more than anything else.

Also might be worth noting that I write these stories from the perspective of a fox writing for other foxes and more learned species; ergo, the point of view is always inside the world.
Shoobie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. ^..^

I'll admit I don't engross myself in too many stories from the fandom, for the same reasons other writers do: we don't like the possibility of having our own stories poluted (politely) by other people's ideas and storylines.

It's a shame, really, but I guess that's the prison I've created from which I create. Sad

I unfortunately don't have the same seperations in my story as you do. While much of the galaxy I've created inter-mingles with each other, I do have some places where there's a seperation, but even then it's just a cultural seperation and not really a species-drive seperation.

Ah well...I suppose I'm stuck with what I got. Rolling Eyes
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
I'll admit I don't engross myself in too many stories from the fandom, for the same reasons other writers do: we don't like the possibility of having our own stories poluted (politely) by other people's ideas and storylines.

It's a shame, really, but I guess that's the prison I've created from which I create. Sad

I can't quite share that opinion. If I wouldn't have read everything I ever got my paws on I would never have started writing on my own and I still happy read what other people write. If it inspires me to write more, even better.

Elfen_Furry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever the story, you got to figure it out.
In my Tabiverse Story, the Furries (Including the Time Travelling Tabitha) are called Terrians (hope the spelling's right), for thats what all the other interstellar civilizations called Earth (Terra), and its inhabitants (Terrians).

They're also called other things, but thats depends on which side of the war you are on. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
JonaWolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that what you call anthros as a whole depends on the story and the frame of reference you're using.

In one story I'm writing, the anthro races are known collectively as 'The Others' to the renmants of the human race.

In another story of mine, The canine species that inhabit the world have never encountered another intelligent species. The name they use for themselves loosely translates to 'People of the Forest"

I've tried to stay away from using 'furs' or 'anthros' in my writings. Those words just haven't felt right in anything I've written so far.

My Stories - LJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once i saw a separation by looks. i mean

Furs : animals(mammal anthos) with fur
Scaleys: dragons and such
Avians: featherd anthros
not sure if it helps but coud give a reason to why call someone a something or other.

DragonWolf_keny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my story they are genetically created so I cant really help much, but can I ask?
do the furries in yours all live on the same planet?
if so can the universe really be so small as to have so diversified of intelligent species on one planet?
maybe you should try having them on multiple planets and just come up with names for each. I've read that some horse anthro's were called Equitine's. Don't ask me how to pronounce that! All you have to do is come up with names for each breed. But that kind of dulls the believability of the universe you created. Just see them as an alien and don’t even associate them to their animal counterparts as a human would, Form their point of view animals are the aliens

Basically I'm just trying to say, have a conversation with yourself and ask questions till it makes sense.

Last edited by DragonWolf_keny on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Osfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commonly occurring names are Furs, anthros, morphs... sometimes, as has been stated, physical characteristics are prominent. Furries, scalies, featheries, smoothskins.
Superlagg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my story, the racial group as a whole throughout the Godland Universe are all refered to as Furs, singularly they are refered to by type with the prefix Anthro- (Anthro-Fox, Anthro-Skunk, ect). They are spread out though the Godland universe, mostly falling under only a few types, seeing that they were, indeed, genetically created, albeit not locally nor very well done.
Nadan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my "Glass Half Full" series, which is about furries in a human world, I simply call them 'furries'. Often the word has a negative conotation when spoken by humans.

In my "Dual Blade Universe" they are not referred to collectively, really. Humans are a new arrival to the universe and each furry race has it's own distinct and specific history (which I have detailed in the Dual Blade Compendium that I'm typing out.) There are powerful political groups or racial groups on the planet, which are named. The Lupine Alliance, the Brotherhood, the Covey, and now the Human Confederation all represent racial groups.

"Cats are mysterious beings... symbols of evil, gods of the Pharoahs. You never know if they love you or if they condescend to occupy your house. This mystery is what makes them the most attractive beast." - Paul Moore, 1978
RunningCat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Day after Tomorrow Series I am trying to write out. I made up a name of any bipedial inteligent animal as Anomas. A Anomas would never refer to anouther as a Anomas they talk about like fox, cat, bear but they do call Humans (well Humans) Just as humans do not refer to each other in the same way. Is that confusing?
Drackmord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call them whatever you want in your story so long as you're internaly consistant. You could call them vlorgrans or thekwons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: